Pony Talk > Pony Corral

NEED HELP: removing perfumes & artifical fragrances?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Wardah:

--- Quote from: lovesbabysquirmy on December 05, 2021, 06:53:33 AM ---you sure that wasn't a MLP with Original Pony Smell you just destroyed???  cuz G1 MLP have a sweet plastic smell to them even when there is no fragrances included with them.
also some of the G1s came with cosmetics, so that's permanently in that plastic.

UV light ruins ponies, don't put them in it!!! 

basically.... if you are THAT sensitive, collecting the actual physical toys might not be the best idea... there are a lot of cross -containment issues.  what if the previous owner kept all their 80's toys in a bin, are you going to chop their original hair off too?  Because that just....  ruined the value of that pony.  I don't think this is a good solution for your collecting, G1 ponies are very finite in quantity as it is.

--- End quote ---

I was honestly cringing the whole time I read their post. Even I, and I'm very much pro customization, wouldn't ever think to chop good hair off a G1.

If you are ready sensitive to scents but want ponies in the G1 style maybe start with Basic Fun ponies. I don't think they are scented other than a few waves that clearly mentioned it on the box.

tailrustedtealeaf:
I've always had luck removing smells by putting them into freezing temperatures. I've removed cigarette stink by wrapping them in paper towel with vinegar, putting them in a plastic bag, and leaving them in a shaded, protected area in the winter. A freezer will also suffice...it's likely not the most healthy thing for her plastic but it is a bit better than exposing to UV, which I am not sure will do much for the smell.

It is a shame her mane and tail ended up chopped.

parthenia:

--- Quote from: lovesbabysquirmy on December 05, 2021, 06:53:33 AM ---you sure that wasn't a MLP with Original Pony Smell you just destroyed???  cuz G1 MLP have a sweet plastic smell to them even when there is no fragrances included with them.
also some of the G1s came with cosmetics, so that's permanently in that plastic.

basically.... if you are THAT sensitive, collecting the actual physical toys might not be the best idea... there are a lot of cross -containment issues.  what if the previous owner kept all their 80's toys in a bin, are you going to chop their original hair off too?  Because that just....  ruined the value of that pony.  I don't think this is a good solution for your collecting, G1 ponies are very finite in quantity as it is.

--- End quote ---

This is a Sweet Sister pony with no mention of scenting on the original packaging or webpage descriptions anywhere on it

There already has been quite a bit of damage on it (scratches, marks I couldnt remove, plastic discoloration etc) and the hair appeared to be shorter than what it originally wasnin untouched photos I've seen- so I figured it wouldnt hurt to rehome and restore it since its value probably would have already tanked because of the statue from its previous ownership

Had it been in pristine collectors condition when I got it  I would not have dared touch it like I have now

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:25:26 PM

--- Quote from: Wardah on December 05, 2021, 07:23:05 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I was honestly cringing the whole time I read their post. Even I, and I'm very much pro customization, wouldn't ever think to chop good hair off a G1.

If you are ready sensitive to scents but want ponies in the G1 style maybe start with Basic Fun ponies. I don't think they are scented other than a few waves that clearly mentioned it on the box.

--- End quote ---

I should have clarified: As I got this secondhand from a previous owner who appeared to previously have modified her mane/tail (which was not in pristine/perfect condition when it arrived in addition to being cut- it was shorter than perfect collectors photos of her) I figured that she was due for a rehairing anyways. Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value

I am trying to collect basic fun ponies! But am having difficulty finding them in stores where I am other than overpriced ones online on ebay etc.

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:29:46 PM

--- Quote from: tailrustedtealeaf on December 05, 2021, 08:07:00 AM ---I've always had luck removing smells by putting them into freezing temperatures. I've removed cigarette stink by wrapping them in paper towel with vinegar, putting them in a plastic bag, and leaving them in a shaded, protected area in the winter. A freezer will also suffice...it's likely not the most healthy thing for her plastic but it is a bit better than exposing to UV, which I am not sure will do much for the smell.

It is a shame her mane and tail ended up chopped.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, I'll try and see if freezing can work

Her original mane and tail were cut much shorter by the original owner as their length didnt match collectors photos ive seen. I feel bad that I've had to get rid of it but it seemed to me her original value already tanked with whatever her previous owner did and a rehairing wouldn't hurt in this state

Post Merge: December 05, 2021, 03:37:56 PM

--- Quote from: TwistedRiver on December 05, 2021, 01:56:01 AM ---Have you tried storing her in a shoebox bin of kitty litter? I would have thought some unscented dish soap would have de-scented the mane and tail enough that you could've kept them.
I don't think a uv light is going to help since a big factor of people suggesting the outdoors is more for the fresh air than the sunlight tbh.
So dousing her with uv rays is probably only going to succeed in aging her plastic prematurely.

--- End quote ---

I haven't thought of cat litter, I don't have access to any since my family doesn't keep pets, but its something i can consider in the future

The mane and tail were cut shorter than normal compared to untouched collectors pieces, so I figured she was due for a rehairing in any case

BlackCurtains:

--- Quote ---Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value
--- End quote ---

You'd be surprised. A lot of people prefer original as can be, haircuts, marks and all. Buying TLC ponies to fix up and sell is a finicky business. You probably won't be properly compensated for time and supplies because charging too much for a restore just makes people turn around and find an original, even if it's not in perfect condition. The more common the pony, the more likely this is the case. When you get into more sought after ponies, then you run into devaluing it if you fix it. So it's a tricky market to sell to. Most people would agree that fixing up a pony should be the buyer's decision.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it though :) Just being realistic. If you want to practice restoring and rehairing, do so on common ponies and don't expect to make much off them. Do it because you want to and it's fun :)

parthenia:

--- Quote from: BlackCurtains on December 05, 2021, 03:41:38 PM ---
--- Quote ---Her collectors value probably already tanked before my ownership, so I dont see how me keeping that original botched hair & botched tail would retain any value
--- End quote ---

You'd be surprised. A lot of people prefer original as can be, haircuts, marks and all. Buying TLC ponies to fix up and sell is a finicky business. You probably won't be properly compensated for time and supplies because charging too much for a restore just makes people turn around and find an original, even if it's not in perfect condition. The more common the pony, the more likely this is the case. When you get into more sought after ponies, then you run into devaluing it if you fix it. So it's a tricky market to sell to. Most people would agree that fixing up a pony should be the buyer's decision.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it though :) Just being realistic. If you want to practice restoring and rehairing, do so on common ponies and don't expect to make much off them. Do it because you want to and it's fun :)

--- End quote ---

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll keep this in mind
I genuinely had no idea having never seen this before- I'm glad I didnt destroy a perfectly good one for no reason and had hoped to keep her (I may have to sell her off if I cannot get rid of the scent once I've rehaired her..) but I will keep this in mind going forward

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version