collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why didn't Generation 2 have an animated series?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't Generation 2 have an animated series?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 03:50:35 AM »
There is something to Ponybookworm's thoughts. It's a lot easier and more cost effective to translate promotional print work to cater to Europe's multilingual market than it is to dub a tv show in 10-something different languages.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2024, 01:58:58 AM »
G1 in the US had some early books, some cassettes, and a MLP Club - but pretty sure no comics.

The US-centric nature of the cartoon thing is also interesting. And very true, though I never thought about it.

I think the UK had 12 or so G2 comics. I used to have them all but sold them...sister may still have some.

France definitely had more though, and it is true that translated comics existed in Europe during G1. I've seen Finnish ones as well as German...I have some of the German ones because they have amazing photo ads for ponies like Nightlight etc in them :)

G2 probably just didn't need animation to be popular. When I think about it, while there were a number of kids' shows when I was small that were made in the UK, I don't remember any of them being actively linked to toy lines in the way US ones were. It doesn't mean toys didn't exist for some of them - just that it wasn't the be all and end all.

Raggy Dolls may be the main exception to this..? My sister had Hifi so I remember it was merchandised up pretty big.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:00:58 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 08:59:16 AM »
Although an overprotective butterfly chirping "you have to move your pony out of the way" on loop while a digital clone object crunches apples may not have been the most elaborate game concept ever...

This was pretty much the soundtrack to my childhood! That butterfly was such a control freak. :silly:
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal