collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 464
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Non pony species- what is your favorite?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Non pony species- what is your favorite?
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:28:36 PM »
My Little Pony has a very large amount of non pony species- from Bushwooloes, Furbobs, Witches, Trolls, Penma, and Pigs, to Griffons, Zebras, Twittermites, Perasprites, Bugbears, and Ursa Major/Minor. The world across every pony generation is chock full of interesting and largely unexplored species. What is your personal favorite? What sort of backstory might you give to a select non-pony species that might lack one?

I have always had a fascination for the Ursa that were introduced in g4- as I had long held love for astronomy - even making OC’s with astro-attributes and names. The Ursa remain largely mysterious, and I like to think that they are the raw energy “astra” forms of Care Bears, which were distant and ancestors of certain clans of ponies (through Noble Heart Horse).

The Penma are another interesting species- possessing shape shifting powers, and are quite beautiful in their default form.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:41:53 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Non pony species- what is your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
The Bushwoolies!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 02:01:09 AM »
Toy wise, I like Kingsley the lion and Creamsicle the giraffe.
They look cute and unique. I don't have either of them however.

Show wise, I love the hippogriffs from FIM. Their design is so cool and i like how they can be both on land and underwater. Changelings are high on my list too. I like their redemption arc and the fact that they are bug like.
One of my favourites must be the Kirin. With their deer like design, special magic and great singing voices.

I've never read the specific comic, but in a FIM comic there are deer that live in their own society. i would have loved to see the show expand upon that.

I would have loved to see more non ponies toy wise. Especially more (and less htf) pony friends. Especially deer.
Oakley is nice but costs a fortune and is more of a moose imo.

Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 02:14:15 AM »
Dragons :)

Specifically the attendants. Not keen on G3 Spike or Dragons in G4, nor the kind in the Wouldbe DragonSlayer. But the Princess Dragons and comic Spike are fine with me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »

Specifically the attendants. Not keen on G3 Spike or Dragons in G4, nor the kind in the Wouldbe DragonSlayer. But the Princess Dragons and comic Spike are fine with me.
the toy dragons were cute! I have always wished I could find one in the wild, but I never did.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 09:28:53 AM »
I don't particularly love any of the non-ponies, but I think Changelings are probably my favorite.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:49:47 AM »
me too = dragons :-)

and for G4 FiM movie = Capper

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »
FiM Kirin are my favorite non-ponies. Or maybe they're like a subset of ponies? I always thought they are part pony and part dragon. I love them because they have lots of fluff. And cute little hoofsies.

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
I'm a big fan of Cha Cha, that sassy llama! Also love the dragon attendants, they're such an iconic part of the pony universe. The kirin are interesting to me as well, would have liked to see a figure in the toy line!

Definitely agree w/OP about the Ursa Major/Minor too. I've been dreaming up a cosplay, but haven't bought or constructed anything...yet.
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »

the toy dragons were cute! I have always wished I could find one in the wild, but I never did.

Keep looking and you might find G1 Spike. The other dragons were sold in places outside of the US, so they're a bit more tricky. Albeit more ponies have travelled now than in the past, so you never know what 20+ years of online collecting will have done to distribution.

They weren't just toy dragons here, though, they were prominent story characters as well, as attendants to their princesses, they had certain duties and personalities. Once they had to rescue them from being abducted by one of the in comic wizard characters. I think they were also members of Spike's Paws & Claws club. So they were quite well fleshed out. Moreso than the bushwoolies with their collective personality, and an interesting contrast :)

I dunno if they're included in the ones already done, but there was a YT channel with someone reading the comic stories and putting the images online. Maybe some of the princess ones are there. I think the one about them being abducted was somewhere in the 40s, as one of them I have a duplicate copy of and keep seeing it in my box.  If not, LM has a lot of the comics online. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
I love Spike and the little dragons.

I don't know if they count as a "species" but I was always intrigued by the Sun, Moon, Stars and Wind personalities found on the back cards.  I loved the idea that the ponies and their world were so intricately connected.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »
Dinosaurs. I'd imagine as big reptiles they'd have a similar origin backstory to dragons, but they'd be freakishly strong, restricted to living in specific climates (hate the cold), and behaviors/communities would not have the emphasis on hoards and treasure. Since they don't appear to be an existing race in G4 and G1 only has Cutesaurus, I figure they're either isolationists, misidentified as another dragon subspecies, critically endangered, or remnants of a bygone era where they're seen in modern day equestria as rare and elusive, cryptids, myths or extinct. FIM does have a filly with a fossil symbol and she refers to the unearthed skeleton as a ponysaurus. Maybe because Cutesaurus had a symbol, it means dinosaurs and ponies shared the potential for expressing magic? Outside of equestria, I really couldn't say.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »
Hmm, I've never really thought about it much...I remember liking G1 Spike the dragon ALOT as a child, so I'm gonna go with dragons! 

The non-pony toy I would most like is the calf, Baby Leafy.  He is sooo adorable.  :lovey:  Now I'm wondering what an adult cow would look like in the mlp world  :lol:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 08:23:41 PM »
Huh. I'm not sure. Bushwoolies definitely. I wish we'd seen more of the pennas.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:11:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 01:26:29 AM »
Dragons and Bushwoolies!
Bushwoolies have become a bit of an in-joke in our family, we say "Don't be a Bushwoolie!" to mean don't just blindly agree to the last thing that was said :lol:. Sometimes it becomes "don't be a Bushwoolie - be a dragon!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal