Pony Talk > MLP Nirvana

Are There Any Non G1 Nirvana??

<< < (2/4) > >>

tikibirds:
In my mind, i consider some g3 as nirvana like the giant babyzillas or the oddball mexicans that ended up in border states. But in general, its only G1 ponies.

Raindrop:
Another way of looking at it was that, with G1, Hasbro licensed other toy companies and factories around the world to make and sell MLP in their own countries.  Normal release ponies were those manufactured by Hasbro directly in China and Hong Kong.  "Nirvana" ponies were manufactured by companies like Top Toys, El Greco, etc. for a local market (hence the many variations from the standard Hasbro releases).  Some ponies manufactured by Hasbro in China, Hong Kong, etc., were released only regionally (primarily in various parts of Europe) and are a grey area; kind of "honorary" Nirvanas because they had a very limited distribution, but not "true" Nirvanas in the eyes of some because they were still manufactured by Hasbro in its Asian factories.

With subsequent generations, Hasbro has not sublicensed the MLP line to other factories and companies, for the most part (not sure about the Mexican G3s and Japanese G2 keychains), so that's why there are no Nirvanas.

Tulips:
There was one wave of G4 Fashion Styles that were manufactured in India, does that count as Nirvana since they were seemingly only released in Australia?

They were the Rainbow Dash and Rarity in their gala dresses. I have pictures of the ponies but not of their hoof markings, but they definitely said India.

kasin:

--- Quote from: Tulips on March 20, 2017, 11:11:19 PM ---There was one wave of G4 Fashion Styles that were manufactured in India, does that count as Nirvana since they were seemingly only released in Australia?

They were the Rainbow Dash and Rarity in their gala dresses. I have pictures of the ponies but not of their hoof markings, but they definitely said India.

--- End quote ---

they say made in India on them?? interesting! Have you seen one in person? I'd love to hear how the paint, plastic etc compares to China versions.

I noticed a brag post with G2 hair variants too....

The term Nirvana was coined before, or in the early years of G3 (I was active then, but I'm blurry about exactly when since I was TP exclusive at that time and the term stated with the Arena). There was a lot of negativity about G2 then as well  so keeping the nirvana term G1 generation specific fits the collector attitudes of that time. A lot has changed since then and I'm wondering if it's worth updating the definition to account for other generations?

I'd like to see a discussion on more clearly defining the demi-nirvanas like Dutch, German, UK, Alt BF etc. I wonder if the US/Canada exclusive sets should be included in that definition as well for a more global perspective? Having some European/Australian exclusives listed as honorary Nirvanas is a rather US centered view in my opinion.

Tulips:

--- Quote from: kasin on March 21, 2017, 06:01:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tulips on March 20, 2017, 11:11:19 PM ---There was one wave of G4 Fashion Styles that were manufactured in India, does that count as Nirvana since they were seemingly only released in Australia?

--- End quote ---

they say made in India on them?? interesting! Have you seen one in person? I'd love to hear how the paint, plastic etc compares to China versions.

--- End quote ---

I actually own a set, I made a post about them last year... And i took photos of their hoof markings afterall! (I just don't have the pictures saved on my new computer)
I compared their hair and plastic on the last page, under a spoiler in the top post, their quality is startling!

Here's the thread if your interested: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,375740.msg1494678.html#msg1494678

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version