collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NY Toy Fair 2014  (Read 31332 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: NY Toy Fair 2014
« Reply #540 on: February 19, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
At the Target here, the dolls are actually on the lower shelves and are at eye level to the little ones while the brushables are higher up on pegs so kids can't reach them or see them very well.  I wonder if that plays a part at all.

But I agree that the dolls are very popular with the kids.  My niece asks me for one every time we go to the store.  She doesn't understand my dismay.   :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:49:18 AM by brightberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #541 on: February 19, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
my sister won't let my niece get the dolls.
doesn't want to start another obsession. XD
besides ponies have less parts to lose, for the most part.
but my niece had totally lost interest in dolls, until the EQG movie. that's the only reason she wants any of them, because they're connected to ponies.

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
I really like the snowglobe ponies but I do wonder how they will hold up over time.  I've had some of those cups/thermoses before that have water and floaty stuff in and over time the water evaporates and leaves a bit of residue (and then the decorations inside stop moving, of course.)  If they're not too expensive though I will probably get Luna. :) 

The Pop ponies/playsets look very cute, and Pinkie's sweet shop is cuter than I had expected.  I don't normally get playsets but I may have to make an exception!  I hope that Aurora Luna plush comes out too, hopefully in the UK, I would love a plush of her.  The Octavia brushable is cute too, although I'm not 100% sold on all the sorta...glam rock makeup they seem to have!

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »
Why are the new dolls lacking articulation?  Maybe those ones sold better than the "deluxe" dolls.   I guess three year olds (my guess as to who is pointing and wanting these dolls) don't really notice.

They fly off the shelf much faster than the ponies as far as I can tell. BUT it's the same ponies over and over. The doll is the same character but looks different and has long hair to brush. So Hasbro did that to itself I think.

Like brightberry said too, shelf height has something to do with it. Shelves at eye levels are pretty desirable spaces.

The articulated dolls cost more money too :d that could have hurt their future prospects. Sometimes I think I'd rather buy my niece a 12$ doll she's gonna pop the leg off of than one that bends at the knee for $20-25....She's very excitable and now has a sad legless Rainbow dash, BUT her articulated Rarity which I got on sale for $10 (Huzzah!) is still holding up, so I think that thought process is totally backwards!  :lol:

I do miss the ponies from the early waves, but I do enjoy the ponies finally being made into a product. Pony or doll I'm happy they exist now. I wish we could get them without the dolls. That's a lot of money. I'll wait for a sale XD  We need the TRU BOGO free sales they used to have on ponies....

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #544 on: February 20, 2014, 05:27:04 AM »
To be honest, EQG doesn't really well that fast here... sure they are lower on the shelf  but I think part of the problem is the price here... but it could be a number of things as to why they are not selling faster in one store here... don't know about any of the other stores
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 20, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
Ooh look! They are like the Crystal Keychains, but Metallic!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/insidethemagic/12648491684/

(I wish they'd make Crystal Twilight and Fluttershy before the do different finishes of  RD, Pinkie, AJ & Rarity, though...)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »
Hey I just realized-  none of the new ponies are Applejack!  Is Hasbro phasing her out or something? Shouldn't we have seen a FS Applejack if they were bringing her back?

And yeah- I'm sure the price point and shelf level factors in.  I'd much rather buy my niece a $12 doll that she  can mess up than a $21 one.  Luckily, she prefers ponies (although it's funny, but she prefers the princess size much better than the tiny ones- I do think that Hasbro's playful size are too small, while the fashion style are a bit too large-  a seven year old wants something right in between...

Post Merge: February 20, 2014, 08:59:41 AM

Ooh look! They are like the Crystal Keychains, but Metallic!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/insidethemagic/12648491684/

(I wish they'd make Crystal Twilight and Fluttershy before the do different finishes of  RD, Pinkie, AJ & Rarity, though...)

Those are cute!  Of course I haven't managed to acquire any of the crystal ones other than Rainbow Dash and Pinkie.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Luckily, she prefers ponies (although it's funny, but she prefers the princess size much better than the tiny ones- I do think that Hasbro's playful size are too small, while the fashion style are a bit too large-  a seven year old wants something right in between...

Have to say I agree with your daughter :lol: . The FS have always seemed too big (so I only got the princesses) and the regular ones are a bit too small, which makes styling their hair "naturally" impossible (I really wish their manes were shorter so they could be styled similar to the G1s or if they all had a forelock...). With the alicorns I can leave their hair as-is and it looks lovely (depending on whether I've had to de-tinsel or not though...)
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
The Rarity and Applejack keychains spend years in limbo, then a couple months after finally showing up, they're planned to be rereleased with a metallic finish? Sure, why not. At least there's one Applejack product on the way...

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #549 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
The Rarity and Applejack keychains spend years in limbo, then a couple months after finally showing up, they're planned to be rereleased with a metallic finish? Sure, why not. At least there's one Applejack product on the way...

Hey now don't forget the best product of all the Funko Applejack coming soon! :P #singlebraidfinallysomuchbetter

For Sale Wants

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #550 on: February 20, 2014, 12:37:38 PM »
In my opinion the lack of Applejack is because she's the only one of the main six that doesn't have pink or purple >_<

Is like Tales Bright Eyes is one of the rare ones of the 7 friends, also she's the only one without pink or purple

So Hasbro assumes little girls won't like them   

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 20, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »
But...orange is the best color in the WORLD!!!!!!!

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #552 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
But...orange is the best color in the WORLD!!!!!!!

Now that you mention it, is curious how Applejack and Bright Eyes both have orange and  both are the less produced of their respective group   :blink:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »
In my opinion the lack of Applejack is because she's the only one of the main six that doesn't have pink or purple >_<

Is like Tales Bright Eyes is one of the rare ones of the 7 friends, also she's the only one without pink or purple

But... Rainbow Dash has only very little if any purple in her (aka, her tail) but she gets re-releases x:
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »

But... Rainbow Dash has only very little if any purple in her (aka, her tail) but she gets re-releases x:
She's constantly on merch :P
My main 3 reasons:
1. Brony icon
2. One of the G3s
3. Appeals to little girls more because rainbow=fun

Just my guesses :P
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal