collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?  (Read 27054 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
OMG. ARE YOU ME? I was just getting back into ponies in the 90s too, and I even printed off the whole Dream Valley website too!!! Went through reams and reams of paper, LOL! I still have it, tucked away in my room somewhere... I would study it like it was a text book, learning all of the pony names, finding out about all of these new ponies I'd never seen in stores (Summerwings, sea ponies, Secret Surprise ponies)... man, it takes me back!

Hahahaha, Me too! All I can think now is how privilaged I was to have such an understanding mother.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
LOL @ "oldie moldies" I use this term for dodgy moldy dirty g1 ponies I sometimes get in lots from ebay :lol: :lmao:
back on the subject.. I guess you could call me an oldie since I've been collecting since teh '80s... but I didnt start to buy from ebay until '05 and I wasnt part of any online communities until I joined the Arena (and that was after lurking for some time first :P )  so I'm not one of those you are looking for :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
Since I fell out of the pony scene for a few years from about 2004-2011, I'm not sure anyone would even remember me. But I go back way earlier than that! XD

I've been collecting ponies since I was a child who received her first pony (Parasol!) back in MLP's second year. But I wasn't a part of any MLP-collecting groups till about 1996 or 1997, when I got curious about my childhood collection I still had. I wondered if there were others like me out there, "too old" for ponies but still holding onto them dearly. So I put "My Little Pony" into the big search engine of the time (Metacrawler, possibly?), found the old Dream Valley website, and learned that there was an e-mailing list of MLP collectors out there. I was blown away to find so many like minds. :D I was aware of the Trading Post and the Arena ever since they first came about, but it took me many years to join either because I just preferred the e-mailing lists while they lasted.

This was back when the Ponypeople mailing list wasn't hosted on Yahoo! Groups, or even its predecessor eGroups (and I'm not sure if the Dream Valley ML even existed at that point in time, unless I've got it all backwards). This was so long ago that the "mailing list" just consisted of about sixty or seventy email addresses that you had to copy and paste into your email every time you wanted to post to the "list"! I also used to contribute to the My Little Pony Monthly newsletter back then. I think I usually signed my posts as Rainribbon/Linka of Hyrule/Ryo-ohki Cabbit, and of course my current username, with different "first names" attached to it 'cause I've been going by Mystagic since I was about three or four years old. I also posted two Christmas fics about my MLP fan-character Rainribbon (see avatar), and I really wish I could find them again. I'm pretty sure they were posted to the mailing list back before we were hosted on a website, and I've yet to find them archived anywhere. They were lost to a hard drive crash somewhere around the end of the last century. :/

Wow, I'm gettin' kinda misty-eyed reminiscing! And while I may not be remembered because I've been so quiet in recent years, I'm really amazed at the names *I* remember popping up here! Holy carpfish, NORTHY?! :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:35:38 PM by Mystagic »
Don't look for me!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 02:16:32 AM »
Mstyagic I remember you! :)

I also printed off dream valley, spent hour coloring the pictures and made a binder with notes! :D

Taffeta, glad to see you are still around and still have your beautiful collection!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline halicabi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »
Well, I did turn 40 last month, but I haven't seen any mold growth (yet!)...

Oh, wait, you're not talking about age...

I didn't start collecting until the G3's came out.  I saw a few of them in stores, remembered that I had wanted some back in the 80's, and bought a couple of the 2-packs.  Little did I know what that would lead to.

Oh well, at least my husband understands (mostly).

halicabi

Avatar and Sig drawn by my 5 year-old daughter (at age 4).  Aren't they adorable????
**My how time flies, she's now 20 and in College!!! I need a new drawing**

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
I remember when DV was like that! I used that for all my pony info back in the day! I didn't join here til 2005 so not sure if I'd be one of the ones you were looking for (I was 'skydanser' when I first joined) but I definitely feel like I've been around a long time :P I'm in for the long haul, put it that way ;)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
I am fairly new to the online community.  But hello anyway lol

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline EStRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
Mstyagic I remember you! :)

Hi, Mermaid! =^^= When I took my seven-year break (due to Life, not because I was sick of ponies!), I thought I would come back and all the "old hands" would be gone. I was very surprised to see so many familiar names still kicking around. :)
Don't look for me!

Offline babydibbles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the \\\"Oldie Moldies\\\"?
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
I've been around since 1996! I was usually out and about on the MLPTP and it actually took me a awhile to move to the arena. Been away from collecting for years now, just here to sell some stuff off while I move to south america! :)  :)

Post Merge: February 17, 2012, 03:53:44 PM

OH! And the monthly email newsletter was great!!

Post Merge: February 17, 2012, 04:13:44 PM

Another OH! Sorry!

Sugarberry! I still have the amazing baby dibbles chalkboard you made me!  ^.^

And an awesome custom dibbles binder/stationary set from rainribbon. I am now reading all the old emails and trade notes I have in here!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:18:42 PM by babydibbles »
Baby Dibbles since \'96 visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*thank you wildfire for my blinkie!  
**currently looking for MIB dibbles/nibbles

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Quote from: Sugarberry
Oh welllllll, that Church of MOC Mimic was a joke that came out of Ponypalooza.  And the long and short of it was that Icefeather (who made the Mimic thing as a joke) and Taffeta didn't get on well

Erm...pardon o.O. How did I get into a discussion on the MOC Mimic?

Sugarberry, you seem to have got your history in a twist.

Icefeather and I fell out because she wanted me to take Italian ponies off my website and I didn't see why I should. I didn't really like the methods she used to try and get me to concede, and that was why we initially fell out, at least as far as I know. She may know different...but it was a long time ago, and honestly, it had such a deep impact on me for various reasons that I'd rather not drag it up again now.

It definitely had nothing to do with the church of the MOC Mimic, though, of that I'm sure. I remember telling her I thought the idea was silly, but I don't remember getting involved in that fight.

The pony hierarchy was pretty imposing if it wanted to be. I'm pretty sure I wasn't a part of it, though...at least, not in an influential sense.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:46:28 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline InsigniaEclipse

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
I've collected ponies since the 80's.  Got my first pony in 1982 (or '83).  Came online in 1997 as FluttrPony.  One of my very first online pony purchases was from an old MLP Newsgroup.  Do they even have those anymore?  ^.^ Then joined a Yahoo group for awhile.  bought a ton from eBay.  Joined the Arena back in....gotta go check again I forgot!  and have been off and on collecting ever since.  I too don't try to buy every pony out there.  I just don't have the room  :P .  I'm not fan of the G 3.5 bobblehead ponies so that saved my wallet alot of grief.  Loving MLP:FIM.   
Looking for variant Windys!  Peru, loose Greek, French (Not the French Blue-got her THANKS AGAIN Mel!!), True UK White with BLUE symbol, and Ice Crystal.  Please PM me if you have any available! Thanky :D

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 10:19:03 PM »
Wow, Foxtale, you sound a lot like me back in my early days of discovering the MLP community online.   I was new to the internet in general, and terrified of the idea of message boards.   So when I looked up My Little Ponies and found other collectors, I lurked for a very long time.   

It sounds like a lot of people had similiar stories. Glad to know I wasn't alone. :-)

Omg, I remember pony finders, it was the first forum I joined.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:23:11 PM by Foxtale »
~Foxtale~

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
I've been around since the original MLPTP, back when Jen owned it. My first screen-name was TAF Seashell. I don't recall when I joined the arena, but it was under demonkitty or kithsidhe - I don't recall which. When I came back I couldn't recall a no longer worked.ny information and the email I used.

I feel like I've been around forever, but I'm not very chatty at all so I know there just aren't that many people that know me.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »
This is such a fun reunion!

Taffeta! I remember looking up to you so much back in the day haha. I used to think you were some MLP Goddess. :P You still hold that image to me to this day!

I wish Abasca would run this town again! She used to make me laugh so much!

Mystagic When I first came back, I thought everyone had gone! I am also glad to see so many familiar faces!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline EStRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Mystagic When I first came back, I thought everyone had gone! I am also glad to see so many familiar faces!

Let's drink tea and cider to old familiar faces! That's partly why my avatar is what it is now--it's low-quality and horribly pixelated, but I did it back in the 90s and hoped that anyone who remembered me from back then would still recognize it, and me, here in the now. Eventually I'll get tired of looking at it (I had NO clue how to use paint programs back when I was a teen first getting online!), but for now it gives me too many fond memories of great (pony)people to replace it or repair it. :)

Man, I feel like we need an old-timer's reunion!
Don't look for me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal