collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ok, Question About Signature Size  (Read 866 times)

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
Ok, Question About Signature Size
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
After many months I decided to change my signature banner.  Big mistake.  Of course, I was greeted today by the rude, ugly green pony chewing me out. 

Here's my problem.  I see a lot of signatures much bigger than mine here, so what's the deal?  As you can see by this screenshot, my image was only 250x178 and 72 resolution.  The chew-out image says we are allowed up to 500xsomething or other.  So what's the problem here?  How tiny do I need to make it?  If it's SO TINY no one can even tell what the image is supposed to be, what's the sense of having a signature banner at all?  I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to make sense of this.  Thanks.

*Edit:  Ok, so if I'm reading my Photoshop right, my image is 130K and the limit is 60K.  So how do I change that?  I don't see any settings to change that in PS.   

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

[Moving to the SIGS & SITE HELP forum ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:20:09 PM by Kiwi »

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
Re: Ok, Question About Signature Size
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »
You're right, the limit is 60K. You can make it lower by changing the format to JPEG or something similar. That is usually enough. If not, you can also lower the quality to make the size smaller. You should be able to choose all this when you're saving the image. Atleast in GIMP you can, Im not 100% sure about photoshop.

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
You're right, the limit is 60K. You can make it lower by changing the format to JPEG or something similar. That is usually enough. If not, you can also lower the quality to make the size smaller. You should be able to choose all this when you're saving the image. Atleast in GIMP you can, Im not 100% sure about photoshop.

Hmmmm, it is a jpg.  Well, back to the drawing board.  Thanks anyway. 

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
I had the same problem with size, I was able to get it low by lowering the quality and simply making the pic smaller.  :huh: You could try other formats too, but I think jpg is the smallest. I could be wrong there though.

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
I had the same problem with size, I was able to get it low by lowering the quality and simply making the pic smaller.  :huh: You could try other formats too, but I think jpg is the smallest. I could be wrong there though.

I've already made it a lot smaller than everybody else's on here, so that won't work.  It's already at the very lowest resolution/dpi, so I don't know what else to do with it.  I guess my best bet is to just not have a signature, period. 

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
When you save your image as .jpg in PhotoShop you can see the weight of the image and you can reduce the quality to make it "lighter":

The numbers I have circled in red is the weight of the image. To make the image "lighter" move the slider to the left as showed with the arrow. As you move the slider the numbers change so you can see the new weight of the image.

Hope this helps you :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
I see you have photoshop, "save for web" should help assist with any size issue. It makes smaller sized JPGs.

Also, there is something you can do based on how many inches it is... but I don't know how to exactly explain how that works. But saving for web, and kicking down the quality [maybe around 75% or so] should help.

And if worse comes to worse... take a screenshot. XD and try again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:55:41 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
When you save your image as .jpg in PhotoShop you can see the weight of the image and you can reduce the quality to make it "lighter":

The numbers I have circled in red is the weight of the image. To make the image "lighter" move the slider to the left as showed with the arrow. As you move the slider the numbers change so you can see the new weight of the image.

Hope this helps you :)

Where is this "Jpeg Options?"  When I go to save the image, this is what I see:

I also have no idea how to find, "Save for web." 

I have Photoshop CS5.5.

*Edit:  Okay, I found the Save for Web, but it doesn't work.  I set everything as low as I could, made the image look really crappy, and yet, it's still way to "heavy."  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Edit #2:  Just a curious question:  Why are we still doing this anyway?  The days of dial-up are long gone.  Everybody should have a broadband connection by now and be able to handle images.  It's not 1994 anymore.  *sigh*  Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:16:07 PM by Cumberbatch2012 »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
Can you upload the picture anywhere, I can help you.

When you are lowering the quality, it's compressing it-- and that's why it starts to look like junk. The JPG options come after you hit save btw. But as I mentioned, saving for web creates a smaller jpg then the save function.

here : http://digilove.net/fuu/dude.jpg

To answer your edit #2 question, some people use the internet on phones, and when there are ton of posts in a thread-- those images all take a lot of time to load. :/ It's just overall nicer when things can be quick.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:20:19 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
Can you upload the picture anywhere, I can help you.

When you are lowering the quality, it's compressing it-- and that's why it starts to look like junk. The JPG options come after you hit save btw. But as I mentioned, saving for web creates a smaller jpg then the save function.

here : http://digilove.net/fuu/dude.jpg

Oh!  I didn't know that, now I found it and I lowered it down to 58.5K, and I made a new one that is within the allowance of 500x200, at 500x198.  It's still at 72 resolution.  Let's hope, hope, hope I don't see the ugly, mean, green pegasus this time.  Thanks for the help everybody, and sorry I was getting snippy, but patience was beginning to elude me.

*Edit:  I just saw your answer to my second question, and I completely forgot about the phones.  I've never had a phone that could do any kind of REAL internet browsing, so I never really think about that.  Makes sense.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
There are MANY reasons why we have the sig limits we do but those aren't important; all that's important is that they are there, and all members are expected to follow them.

If you read the sticky you were linked to when your sig was replaced, you would see there are ways to avoid a visit from Big Bertha. It's up to the members to use the site resources available to them. If they choose not to, then they take the risk to go it alone, and must face any consequences that come along.

I'm glad that you were able to figure it out, and hopefully you will avoid any Big Bertha visits in the future.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal