collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Luxury Designer G1 stuff! Moschino  (Read 6939 times)

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Luxury Designer G1 stuff! Moschino
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »
I LOVE the little shoulder bag that's shaped like a lunchbox and the one piece suit- so cute and pastel with ponies you rarely see! I also like reading the discussion around these sorts of things. I would never spend so much on a piece of clothing but it sure is fun to look at  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 12:46:51 AM »
jeremy scott (the creative director behind all of the above lines)... literally loves toys?

fashion designers are inspired by things that they love, and jeremy scott loves toys, so to me, calling him a 'fake fan' or implying that he's just doing it to be 'trendy' (again, don't see how this is a bad thing considering lots of mlp fans became fans... because it's trendy... because that's how people find out about things and come to enjoy them...) when he's proven time and time again that these toys bring him joy and that they serve as his muse is a little silly to me.

I didn't know about Jeremy Scott, this is really interesting thank you!

Moschino have form on this (Barbie, McDonald's)
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2015-ready-to-wear/moschino/slideshow/collection#4

http://www.vogue.co.uk/shows/autumn-winter-2014-ready-to-wear/moschino/collection

It's also a bit like the Vetements DHL t-shirt https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/apr/19/dhl-t-shirt-vetements-fashion-paris-catwalk

Personally the more I look at their MLP collection the less I like it. There's more than a touch of sneering superiority and mockery of people who genuinely like this stuff and of laughing at people who wear Primark. Like, "look at us we're so witty wearing common people's tacky 80s nostalgia but we like it because it's ugly and kitsch, aren't we clever and superior"

Sorry but at these prices this is the only way I can read it. Their "McDonald's server" outfits (and their ridiculous price point) were similarly an insult to people who (have to) work in McDonald's.

Does anyone know what I mean?

I know what you mean. A lot of people would appreciate this view. I think the fact that it says 'Moschino' and not 'My Little Pony' does lend weight to the idea that it's less about nostalgia and more as you say. Another way to look at it is that maybe rich people are kinda poking fun at themselves a little as well, you never know, perhaps they are just trying to identify with the 'real world' acknowledging that having a lot of money is not necessarily a fulfilling experience.

Edit: I just read the Guardian article about Vetements, thank you for that.  I think it raises some interesting points. I already put my take on it below.

If these shirts had unique art on them drawn by a fashion designer then I would understand that there is some unique value in them, even if I myself would never spend that much.

Like this Transformers "suit" looks gaudy and absurd and I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg, but at least it's DIFFERENT and shows some creativity:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Pretty much sums up Moschino :-)

I would say they definitely appropriate popular culture to their own brand and put massive price tags on it.  The stuff in the 90's that I referred to earlier kinda stole the look of a certain club culture and then when that was popularised people bought into it as did the originators of that culture (if they could afford it) because at the end of the day it was still a type of recognition.

The DHL thing with Vetements was an interesting phenomenon in general I thought.  I thought it was about nostalgia for the kind of working class jobs that have now been replaced with zero hours contracts.  Corporate branding would be seen as very uncool in the 90s but now the younger generation are nostalgic for these kinds of working relationships and a time when jobs were a bit more predictable. I don't know, it's interesting to speculate about that whole thing.  Why people with excessive amounts of money would want to spend it in order to look 'ordinary'. I've heard Vogue call it 'stealth wealth'.

Where I live most people wear a mixture of sports gear and mountaineering stuff, it's kind of an anti fashion statement that's also very comfortable.  A lot of people just don't care that much about clothes.  I have some quite old-fashioned views about clothing when it comes to looking smart for social occasions etc because to me it means you respect the occasion and the people you are with and it's uplifting for everyone to make an effort. I don't tend to like seeing people in a nice restaurant wearing trainers and leggings, but that's because to me, smart is about traditional materials and structured clothes.  That said I do appreciate that for some people and types of occasions Moschino would be their version of smart, i.e. designer sportswear/loungewear means you really have made an effort. It's new, you've spent a lot of money and the price means it's fairly exclusive so you're not likely to see someone else wearing the same thing. I used to enjoy seeing people in their sporty/gaudy Gucci, Fendi and Moscino in the 90's.  It was just a different way of making an effort. Maybe I'm just I'm getting old but I fail to see how wearing Vetements could be uplifting or about making an effort. Perhaps it's more of a statement of protest about the way the world is changing. At least the pony stuff has nostalgia of a kind that I think is fun and pretty.

Just found this from the Vetements 2017 collection, tee hee.  Not sure if it's a shoot or just a random photo of someone's uncle at an airport. It could be a spoof website IDK  :lookround: Edit: only the long belt gives a clue that it's legit  :biggrin: Edit: Ooh, and the fact that he has zip-offs on a pair of trousers that are in fact already shorts!! This is quite good fun.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:44:56 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »
Still want this purse most of all:  https://www.moschino.com/ca/moschino/backpack_cod45375492dk.html#dept=mcpslssmnpn

Does Primark sell anything like that?

I can't afford high fashion but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the art and artists behind it, so believe me I did not post this info to antagonize anyone or to be controversial, I posted it because it's 1) G1 and 2) My Little Pony.  Honestly I am surprised at all the negative comments.  :(  Spending $1500+ on a Japanese vintage toy, versus buying one of these purses?  Same difference.  Buying a MIP Rapunzel or buying a Moschino t-shirt?  Whatever.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
Still want this purse most of all:  https://www.moschino.com/ca/moschino/backpack_cod45375492dk.html#dept=mcpslssmnpn

Awh! That's very lovely :heart:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
I will never be able to afford any fashion brand nor will I ever pay that much even if I did,
BUT I always like looking at runway collections and designer stuff for inspiration, just looking at them is fun to me.

I don't think their stuff are meant to mock people, or at least not regular people who aren't rich. Moschino even from the start just by looking at their vintage stuff, has always been about taking 'high fashion' and making it 'fun' 
Like, old Moschino frequently used Mickey and Minnie Mouse, the Smiley face, and 'quirky' details like spoon+fork decorations. Jeremy Scott the current designer uses cartoons a lot, like that collection with Mcdonalds also had Spongebob in it, https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2014-ready-to-wear/moschino#collection and Scott's own brand had collections that used Bart Simpson and Shrek!
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2012-menswear/jeremy-scott#collection
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2015-ready-to-wear/jeremy-scott#collection

I just wish they used the ponies more in this collection, rather than just printing them on shirts and bags. Like, they could've at least had studded biker jackets with ponies or pony patches on them. That would've been cool.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:09:08 AM by mlly »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »

I can't afford high fashion but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the art and artists behind it, so believe me I did not post this info to antagonize anyone or to be controversial, I posted it because it's 1) G1 and 2) My Little Pony.  Honestly I am surprised at all the negative comments.  :(  Spending $1500+ on a Japanese vintage toy, versus buying one of these purses?  Same difference.  Buying a MIP Rapunzel or buying a Moschino t-shirt?  Whatever.

I love this purse and the Glory purse- they are soooo cute.  I hate to hope for Chinese knock offs but...

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
I will never be able to afford any fashion brand nor will I ever pay that much even if I did,
BUT I always like looking at runway collections and designer stuff for inspiration, just looking at them is fun to me.

I don't think their stuff are meant to mock people, or at least not regular people who aren't rich. Moschino even from the start just by looking at their vintage stuff, has always been about taking 'high fashion' and making it 'fun' 
Like, old Moschino frequently used Mickey and Minnie Mouse, the Smiley face, and 'quirky' details like spoon+fork decorations. Jeremy Scott the current designer uses cartoons a lot, like that collection with Mcdonalds also had Spongebob in it, https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2014-ready-to-wear/moschino#collection and Scott's own brand had collections that used Bart Simpson and Shrek!
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2012-menswear/jeremy-scott#collection
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2015-ready-to-wear/jeremy-scott#collection

I just wish they used the ponies more in this collection, rather than just printing them on shirts and bags. Like, they could've at least had studded biker jackets with ponies or pony patches on them. That would've been cool.

YES! THANK YOU! exactly! they're both fun hobbies for passionate people! i know plenty of people who buy my little pony shirts and stuff and don't collect the ponies; hell, that used to be me before i found out that there was a whole community of collectors! people enjoy and experience nostalgia in different ways was all i was trying to say in my original post. i guess i just don't see why some people are meeting this collection with such hostility when it's pricey, yes, but so cute! i agree completely on the lack of variety, too. i'm assuming it's a 'ready to wear' collection, which usually means they skimp out on creating truly 'artistic' pieces and opt for more 'casual' ones. how i'd love to see an even gaudier pony line with gaudy ponies on it!  :P

and i'm sorry lovesbabysquirmy, i didn't mean to incite negativity on your post. quite the opposite, really! i thought people would be super stoked to see ponies and fashion merging and seeing others do what we do every day... enjoy ponies! i'm always excited to see other people getting excited over things i love, and i think it's super cool to see people enjoying ponies in a variety of ways besides just collecting the toys!

also, in regards to that mcdonald's collection (and the backlash it faced), i found a quote from jeremy scott explaining why he created it the way he did: “McDonald’s is part of our everyday lives…When I design I always pull from things that are significant to me. In my work I search for happiness and then try to convey that joy in the clothes.” as one of those minimum wage workers, i thought it was cool to actually be acknowledged as a massive part of american culture (because nothing's more american than mcdonald's!) and be given attention in such a cool way. much better than the usual attention we get, including but not limited to things like being called a failure, an idiot, worthless, and more.

and for those of us patiently awaiting knock offs, keep an eye on the website aliexpress! they knock off mega huge (and mega pricey) brands like lazy oaf and moschino! you may have to be a bit creative with your wording and search queries, though! obviously dupes are frowned upon (against the law!), so they'll go out of their way to avoid key words in the listing title! <3 hope that helps everyone, i'll be keeping my eyes out for sure because that flutter pony bag is to DIE for!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:22:35 AM by centaurette »

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »
Very cute.

Very pricey, Ill pass.  :shocked:

Thank you :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2017, 04:50:08 AM »
Neat things but boy they sure do want a lot of money for it all! :(

Offline SunnyDazeAhead

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
I really like the Glory shoulder bag and the summer wing pony backpack.
:heart: \"Your heart knows your song, but you have to be willing to listen to the words.\" :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 05:09:46 AM »
Considering that not even my entire collection combined amounts to 1500 I don't know what this "people spend 1500 on Rapunzel! Gotcha!" is supposed to do. Both is way too much money and I personally don't see stating that as negativity. It's a personal opinion.

"People spend more than thousands on their hobby" is simply not true for all of us and I can see why some people would look at this collection and see it as mockery despite what the intentions are. The cuts and prints are just too simple to warrant that price point for a lot of us. 1500 is a custom wedding dress to me, not a shirt I could print myself if I had good scans of the G1 boxart.
I too love to look at runway fashion and I think the discussion in here has been very interesting.

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
The items are super cute but I just can't justify the price.
I just can personally understand how a shirt that is less than 5 USD to make is worth that markup. I don't think that what they have is exceptionally unique or creative enough to be that expensive.

I would really like to know if anyone actually buys these and what demographics they are selling to. I know that I certainly don't fit it.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
I would really like to know if anyone actually buys these and what demographics they are selling to. I know that I certainly don't fit it.

Rich people.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »

Rich people.

Yep. Designer clothing is not aimed at the "typical" consumer we would think of and its certainly not aimed at us.

The only person I've seen with any of the items so far is the owner of a makeup brand (don't want to name names because essentially everything he does is NSFW and extremely NSF the Arena). He's super rich and very into the "everything is designer in a tacky way" sort of style. I'd be stunned if he actually cared about MLP at all. Its all about that Moschino label.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »

Rich people.

Yep. Designer clothing is not aimed at the "typical" consumer we would think of and its certainly not aimed at us.

The only person I've seen with any of the items so far is the owner of a makeup brand (don't want to name names because essentially everything he does is NSFW and extremely NSF the Arena). He's super rich and very into the "everything is designer in a tacky way" sort of style. I'd be stunned if he actually cared about MLP at all. Its all about that Moschino label.

There will always be people who wear labels because they are labels of course. But there's crossover appeal for a celebrity who might have grown up with MLP.

I just wish we got a pony designed by him since when he did the Barbie collab there was a doll designed by him.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal