collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spreading the word about HQG1C?  (Read 28962 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Spreading the word about HQG1C?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
I think HQGIC is hard to remember and not instantly recognized as pony related.  It makes it harder to advertise or google.  Maybe have a webpage and a more pony tagline will help with HQGIC being the brand name and something with "My Little Pony" wording covering the toys. 

Calling them "My Little Pony" would make it a lot more likely that Hasbro would go after them.

They exist in a grey area legally, like third-party Transformers toys (which are also never ever called "Transformers" by the companies.)  Luckily, so far Hasbro hasn't shown any interest in shutting down 3rd party TFs or the HQG1C.  (And while I'm unsure if Hasbro aware of the HQG1C, they are definitely aware of the 3rd party Transformers companies.) 

Just gotta cross our fingers that it continues that way! :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 05:42:26 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:52 PM »
I want most of the artistry girls, and the Hannukah ponies made me feel so happy and represented ;w; Not a fan of Kitty Love but I love the sitting pose, especially with freckles. And I’ve wanted Pepper Jack since I first laid eyes on him. Definitely check these out if you can afford it!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
I have Dasher and Spellbound and Lovebound, they're really nicely made. I also have a sea pony shell on the way which I'm super excited for! And I just ordered 3 more that I've had my eye on, thanks for the reminder.

I agree, I think they need to get the word out more/advertise more. I think a thread showing off our HQG1C's is a great idea! I will take photos of mine this week.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2020, 02:43:05 AM »
To people who have one, is the hair soft?  How does it compare to G1 hair?  Also, are the necks glued?

Does anyone know if Hasbro sold the molds? 

Hasbro most likely did not sell molds, otherwise HQG1C would be official like the Basic Fun retro ponies. HQG1C are recasts but I can tell you they are far from fakies. They blend in perfectly with Basic Fun, only the hair is different.

I don't know what they use but it varies depending on if the pony has straight hair or not. I have Genie and a seapony and their hair is tinseled, super silky and well, super straight.
It reminds me of doll wig hair. I am too afraid to curl it because I don't want to damage it.
It works perfectly for the tinsel, no electrified hair look :lol:

Can't say I am a fan of the hair I saw on Batty Boo and Puppy Love. Don't get me wrong, the hair is soft and loooong, so perfect for styling. But once you brush it you get this big poof that mostly happens with this kind of fibre. You have to do a little more hair care on these or else you get Perfume Puffs.
But the hair is not dry or coarse. So again, it all reminds me of wig hair. Hasbro and MGAE had worse hair on their official products. Especially the later G4s had such dry and coarse hair, which you will not find on HQG1s.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 04:48:58 AM »
I'd love to see more owner pictures.   Close ups would be amazing.   It's hard to find much info on these.  I did a Google search,  but most of it was the shops and the locked Facebook page.   I found a short owner video.  But I'd love to see one that was just generally about the quality.   Show the hair being brushed, the head turning, etc.

I appreciate the replies about the hair types!  I may try one and see for myself.   

Thanks!  I'll be following this.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 05:40:48 AM »
I found a short owner video.  But I'd love to see one that was just generally about the quality.   Show the hair being brushed, the head turning, etc.

I would gladly do a video of Glitzy Waves and Genie and compare them to Hasbro ponies and such. Sunset has a YT channel where she reviews ponies and she has done a lot of HQG1s, so maybe check that out.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:34 AM »
Thank you, I will do that this evening.

If you do a comparison video that would be great!

I decided to order the Artistry girl Flow off eBay.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.   :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
I have a good amount of them. The hair can look a bit intimidating but you can smooth it out like normal pony hair really nicely. The plastic doesn't feel exactly the same, but it's of a nice quality and isn't super squishy. The heads turn without glue.
Why not cheapen material a bit, on blanks, atleast?
On this note, I'm curious if the blanks can be produced without hair at a cheaper cost. I know some people collect the blanks to keep them as is, but characters like Frost, Snow, etc. I would be removing the hair of anyway to replace it. I know the sparkle blanks are blank, but I'm not much of a sparkle pony person...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
I think HQGIC is hard to remember and not instantly recognized as pony related.  It makes it harder to advertise or google.  Maybe have a webpage and a more pony tagline will help with HQGIC being the brand name and something with "My Little Pony" wording covering the toys. 

Calling them "My Little Pony" would make it a lot more likely that Hasbro would go after them.

They exist in a grey area legally, like third-party Transformers toys (which are also never ever called "Transformers" by the companies.)  Luckily, so far Hasbro hasn't shown any interest in shutting down 3rd party TFs or the HQG1C.  (And while I'm unsure if Hasbro aware of the HQG1C, they are definitely aware of the 3rd party Transformers companies.) 

Just gotta cross our fingers that it continues that way! :)

True! I wouldn't want them to be shut-down at all.  I was just answering the question how to get more people to buy so they can keep making more.  Maybe they can be called "80's ponies" or "80's style unicorns" so people can have a better idea of what HQGIC is all about.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
The hair quality varies. Some of them, like Genie, Fair Feathers, Pretty Bow and Pepper Jack, have hair that’s silky and shiny right out of the bag. Others, like Celebration, Jolly Treats, the Artistry Girls and Valentines Duo, have hair that needs a bit of work before it can get there (I flatironed mine and saw great success!), but is still leagues above late G4 hair. The Date Night girls, while I haven’t been able to buy them yet, look like they have very nice hair as well (and I seem to recall hearing it’s made of nylon like the Farmer Boys? Could be wrong though.). No idea for the Love Duo, the Sea Shimmers or the Clippers’ Sail exclusives.

Also, do you think “Pony like it’s the 1980’s” would be a good slogan?  :silly: :silly:

Post Merge: January 07, 2020, 10:32:16 AM

I'd like the con twins, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them :s Are they available to everyone or just con attendees?

(That's another thing about HQG1C, it can be difficult to find info about them. All the info tends to be scattered across various sites, it'd be nice if it was all in one place or something.)

Meant to answer his earlier, whoops - theyre being sold to raise funds for the meetup! Here’s where to buy: https://ponyfriendsforever.ecrater.com/c/2251749/pony-friends-forever-exclusive
I feel bad I haven’t bought mine to support them yet, but I just don’t have the cash right now. I’m glad HQG1C is taking this year as a catch-up year, since I haven’t been able to grab the Date Night series yet either, which I desperately want.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:32:16 AM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »
I have actually been thinking that the name "HQG1C" is weird and difficult to say and/or remember. When I see the name I just see a confusing row of letters that my brain just want to skip. I even had to look at the title of this thread to type it down right now :P I do realize what it stands for but I think if they had a different and catchy name that might make the whole thing more appealing. They shouldn't be called anything with "My Little Pony" in the name for obvious legal reasons but there are plenty of fake ponies out there with their own more or less catchy brand names.

When I do get my hands on some of these I'd love to do beautiful photo shoots with them and show them off. Heck, taking promotional photos of them would be a dream for me :biggrin: I might even consider making review videos of them. But right now money and time are really tight for me and I wouldn't be able to do this until later this year.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »
The new "RaMC Mystery Pony" whose name I can't remember atm has REALLY nice hair.  It's thick and shiny and very smooth.  I believe it's nylon.  Actually, I think all the ones with really nice hair are nylon and the other aren't.  My artistry girls have rats nests for hair and a bunch of mane on one of them came out upon brushing! 

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Meant to answer his earlier, whoops - theyre being sold to raise funds for the meetup! Here’s where to buy: https://ponyfriendsforever.ecrater.com/c/2251749/pony-friends-forever-exclusive
I feel bad I haven’t bought mine to support them yet, but I just don’t have the cash right now. I’m glad HQG1C is taking this year as a catch-up year, since I haven’t been able to grab the Date Night series yet either, which I desperately want.

Awesome, thanks for the link! Unfortunately it looks like they don't ship outside the US :( Damn. Oh well, thanks anyway.

I can't comment on hair, etc because honestly I haven't played with mine enough to be able to say anything about it (just haven't had the time for... a while. >_< Been running backwards for a long time with my collections, gah) BUT plastic-wise they feel nice. Their plastic is a little more soft/squishy than actual G1s (not squishy like rubbery, there's just a bit more 'give' to them); not rock-hard, but not cheap and rubbery either; it's a nice quality. I can definitely recommend them :)

Personally I don't mind paying $30+ for them, I think it's worth it for what they are etc, I just wish the shipping wasn't such a killer ^^; like I said, I miss having a UK store!

aaand I heard people wanted photos? :3 My photos are unfortunately not that great (oh, to have more hours in the day!!) but I'll post 'em anyway, someone has to get the ball rolling XD I'll stick them under a cut so as to not clog up the thread.

Spoiler

Frost and Winter

+ baby boy Blizzard :) Gotta get Snowball sometime to complete the family. (I could've sworn I already had her, but she's not on my spreadsheet.. hmmmm..)
(oh and apologies for Blizzard's hair - that's my fault, he had to journey across the pond with several other ponies and I *still* haven't had the chance to fix his 'travel hair' ^^;)

Lovebound and Spellbound

Baby Zipper w/ non-custom family

Baby Flipper w/ non-custom family

Dasher w/ non-custom family

Dasher + xmas babies (sorry for bad pic, + again sorry about their hair, I need to give them a good spa day soon!!)

Harmony and Hope

Pepperjack

Midnight and Nightfall. I need to get their babies sometime :) The only nitpick I have with these two is that fingerprints tend to show up pretty clearly on them, I imagine that's unavoidable though due to their body colour. I still like 'em :)

Hanukkah babies Dreidel and Star, I LOVE these guys and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some matching adult ponies eventually :3

Pepperjack (in bottom-right corner), posting this one so you can see how nicely they blend in with "actual" G1s ^^

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
I’d love to buy some HQG1C ponies but they are a little out of my budget right now. I think they are all fantastic. I really wanted to get Genie.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
Hi everyone! Loved reading the comments on this thread. I wasn’t expecting to even this here.. Aside from the what’s out now and coming soon hqg1c thread.

I have heard the hqg1c has been confusing for several years. It does sort of sound like a chemistry formula :lol:. I really like the suggestions.. We can possibly add something to the title to make it more memorable in the future.. But, being 4 years into this, it’s hard to completely remove hqg1c from the project itself.

Hair quality will vary from each run. Genie from glitter island, will have more of a coarse - straight type ‘wig’ hair. She the first one made (honestly we had no idea what we were doing, and were so lucky to even get her made..
As our original source ghosted us with our money.. But then we eventually got hold of someone else and they took over.)
Puppy Love, Fair Feathers, Celebration, Dasher,  Kitty Love, Artistry Girls, delphina/marina, True Blue (alt hair) All baby ponies, have Polypropylene hair.. Some of these will need assistance of their hair.. Since sometimes the workers don’t always brush and style the hair. The reasoning for Fair Feathers hair being smoother, was because we specifically asked them to brush and style her. All ponies with this hair type will smooth out (even if they turned puffy on you!), if brushed, conditioned and even flat ironed (found this makes them extra smooth.. I will post pics when I get on my computer).

Pretty Bow, Sea Glimmers, Sea Glow, Pepper Jack, All Date Nights / have nylon hair. This hair may seem flat or straight when opening, but if conditioned and wrapped around neck and tail, it will give off the original G1 look. You can see photos of some of them styled on my storefront. This hair quality is in my opinion is the best.

We will continue to use the Polypropylene and Nylon (more preferred, but also way more costly).

Plastic quality in my opinion is excellent. The glitter blanks tend to have a more soft G1 ‘squish’ to them, making it easier to put hair in them.

Heads are not glued, that way you can customize or do whatever you want with your ponies.

Only thing I do suggest, is that you add an additional zip tie to your ponies tails, that way they are guaranteed never to fall out.

The Pony Friends Forever twins will be shipping worldwide, once they are in hand with the other organizers in Texas.

* I am doing a huge clear out sale in Clipper’s Sail until Sunday for hqg1c and mlp (excluding dolly mix and art prints). If you spend $10 or more you get 50% off with promo code WOW50 .. I will ship worldwide. This will make the hq ponies that are available mostly around $5-$12.50 each. Link is in my signature for my storefront. *

-Clipper

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:40:13 PM by Clipper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal