collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kitten fever!  (Read 1284 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Kitten fever!
« on: July 19, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »
I have a mighty need for a kitten. I'm in several cat groups on Facebook and follow cats on IG and watch YouTube videos about cats and my heart bursts every time I see a kitten. It's been a long time since I had one. It was Mousie, 20 years ago. I'm allowed to have two cats since Aster is my ESA and I have a letter for her. My local shelter, where I got Aster, has 30 kittens right now (it's kitten season). However they also have 11 seniors. I always said I would get seniors.

Part of me wanting a kitten is because I think Aster might get along better with a baby than another adult cat. And with a kitten you can teach them (to a degree, being cats and all). But the main reason I want a kitten is just because I want one. I'm trying to tell myself it isn't selfish. I'd still adopt, give a cat a home. But there's this voice in my head. "What about all the old cats?" "Kittens always get adopted. Not everyone will take in a senior." "A kitten is too much for you and Aster." :(

I don't know what to do. I'll look at the seniors while I'm there. I did see one featured on their FB page that spoke to me. But... again, I don't know if Aster would take to another adult. I'd have to do the quick introduction method since this is one bedroom and I don't want to keep the new cat locked in the bathroom for days. Besides, there's a litter box in there so it has Aster's smell all over it.

Have you had experience introducing cats? Did you ever have a senior and a kitten at the same time?

Note, this will not be happening for a while still. I need to save money for the vet. The first visit is free, but she'll have to be spayed. I'd choose a female, kitten or senior.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten fever!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 03:45:11 PM »
Aww sometimes kittens are really hard to home during kitten season.  The last time I adopted a cat, they really wanted me to take a couple of kittens (now they recommend it).  But, I was sure my grumpy dog would disagree and would prefer a less rambunctious adult.

But, kittens are more work for shelter workers.  They mess up their cages, need lots of cleaning and individual attention.  Sometimes they have no choice but to put the kittens down because there are so many of them and there are not enough workers.

Honestly, my husband is happy with just a dog and cat.  He would really dig his heels in over a kitten.  So I avoid all social media that pushes kittens.  It makes me too sad!

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 03:58:53 PM »
it's  so hard to see animals at the shelter
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 08:11:43 AM »
Luckily, there aren't any kill shelters in this county. The last one was changed last year. I don't know about the neighboring counties.

Anyway, an update. I looked at the cats available for adoption and the kittens are so cute! BUT guilt got the better of me and now I'm stuck on a 14 year old tortie. She's petite and a lap cat. I've been thinking about it and a kitten will probably be too much for us. Aster is very spooky although she's improved tremendously from when I first brought her home. I think a kitten bothering her would just upset her and the last things she needs is to be stalked and jump scared. So, a calm older cat it is.

They also have two bonded rats. I've been trying to sell my cage with no luck. I might set it up and go see them too. Of course, I need money for all this so it might be a while and everyone could be gone by the time comes.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal