collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Twinke Eyed Ponies: Tips and Information?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Twinke Eyed Ponies: Tips and Information?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »
Here are some eyes taken out of Whizzer who is being restored. As you can see they are much larger than they look (like icebergs) and, interestingly, are blue. Whizzer is supposed to have purple eyes. I promise most faithfully that they most definitely LOOKED purple when they were still in the pony. But there is no doubt that they are indeed blue:

Side view
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Front view

Back view

There is a groove in the pony's eye that they sit in and as Baby Sugarberry noted it is extremely difficult first to get them out, and then to get the replacement eyes in. I used these:

Front:

Back:

(Sorry for the image quality - I took this at home and didn't realise it was so blurred until I downloaded it onto my laptop. But you will get the idea)

Also as Baby Sugarberry mentioned, it is hard to replicate the coating on the original eyes. This is one that I was messing around with and didn't end up using. I actually put a clear, uncoated jewel in in the end.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Oh wow!!!  I guess they look purple while in the pony due to Whizzer being pink?  Like, you can see her pink plastic behind the gem?  Amazing discovery!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
Oh wow! That's weird how Wizzer's eyes work, but they're still gorgeous none-the-less OwO

Also, could it be possible for someone to make a resin cast of a twinkle eye? If they did that, then they could fill up the cast and make perfect replacement twinkle eyes, minus the coating on them.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
Oh wow! That's weird how Wizzer's eyes work, but they're still gorgeous none-the-less OwO

Also, could it be possible for someone to make a resin cast of a twinkle eye? If they did that, then they could fill up the cast and make perfect replacement twinkle eyes, minus the coating on them.

I was just going to write this! I definitely think this would be doable :) And really, really cool.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
Here are some eyes taken out of Whizzer who is being restored. As you can see they are much larger than they look (like icebergs) and, interestingly, are blue. Whizzer is supposed to have purple eyes. I promise most faithfully that they most definitely LOOKED purple when they were still in the pony. But there is no doubt that they are indeed blue:

Side view

Front view

Back view

There is a groove in the pony's eye that they sit in and as Baby Sugarberry noted it is extremely difficult first to get them out, and then to get the replacement eyes in. I used these:

Front:

Back:

(Sorry for the image quality - I took this at home and didn't realise it was so blurred until I downloaded it onto my laptop. But you will get the idea)

Also as Baby Sugarberry mentioned, it is hard to replicate the coating on the original eyes. This is one that I was messing around with and didn't end up using. I actually put a clear, uncoated jewel in in the end.

Hope this helps  :)

I didn't expect that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »

I was just going to write this! I definitely think this would be doable :) And really, really cool.

Hmm - was there an Arena member (from Spain??) who managed to make awesome resin dupes of twinkle eyes (along with perfect hats and other pony accessories?)
I think I saw her posts are dated from a few years back?

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
Oh wow!!!  I guess they look purple while in the pony due to Whizzer being pink?  Like, you can see her pink plastic behind the gem?  Amazing discovery!

I had the same thought. Wow. Makes me wonder how many other eyes are also like this...although I think Masquerade's are so perfectly green and Tic Tac Toe's orange that they probably are that shade. Just...never knew Whizzer's eyes were blue O.o.

I also remember seeing sunfaded Fizzy eyes in a bluish shade, though, and blue/green doesn't make purple, so she must have had purple to begin with. Whizzer's are lighter - could UV have had any impact on weakening any original purple hue so that they still looked purple when in Whizzer but the actual purple had gone??
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
I doubt they're faded.  If they were, the part that's inside the 'lip' of the eye socket that holds the gem in place would likely be a different shade, since it would get next to no direct exposure. Same principle how the neck plug of a badly faded pony is often closer to their original hue.

Checked my Whizzer.  Her eyes are definitely pale blue, look a bit darker than the ones pictured by NightGlider but that's probably because they're still in the pony.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 12:58:58 AM »
I believe, once we look into it, we will find that there might be more variation in TE pony eyes than we first realised. I bid on and bought Gingerbread locally even though she is in shocking condition because she had green eyes instead of the normal blue. However, now I know of 3 other SA collectors who have ponies from various locations worldwide who also have green eyed Gingerbreads, so not as uncommon as it might perhaps have first been thought.

Here is a photo of Whizzer with those (actually blue) eyes still in her:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »
I believe, once we look into it, we will find that there might be more variation in TE pony eyes than we first realised. I bid on and bought Gingerbread locally even though she is in shocking condition because she had green eyes instead of the normal blue. However, now I know of 3 other SA collectors who have ponies from various locations worldwide who also have green eyed Gingerbreads, so not as uncommon as it might perhaps have first been thought.

Here is a photo of Whizzer with those (actually blue) eyes still in her:

A green eyed Gingerbread sounds gorgeous
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal