collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Website--I Need Pics!  (Read 5880 times)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Re: MLP Website
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:53 AM »
Pika--I have Bubbles, but need the others!

Taffet--I am not offended at all!  At meat, my site is a personal fan site.  If people wouldnrather go to my Little Wiki...more  power to them.  I get a lot of my info from them, some from my own ponies/experiences/info, some from others pics.

Also I'm not really trying to replace Dream Valley.  (Though I am stil mourning its passing!  D:  I miss it.)  But it did inspire me. 

I do know that such sites are never really finished, and than they can drive you nuts.  I've been making websited almost since I discovered the internet in 1997 or so...  I'm 40 years old and have been around the block a time or two.  C:  It's a hobby, so I enjoy it, and that's a plus.  I had a ThunderCats site way back when...I wonder if I till have those files.

Anyway.  You sid this:

"Regarding what was said about site navigation - a forward/back button is a little annoying if you don't want to go through all the ponies to get to the end. Maybe think about how you can navigate on each page and back to the main page or on to a specific pony without going through the whole lot? '"

Maybe I'm too tired (it's late at the moment) but my brain can't make sense of this....what are you trying to say here?

Also I feel your pain when you have screwed up links.  i HATE policing links to make sure they're correct!  I had to do a buttload over again recently because they didn't cooperate.  UGH.

As for the accesories...I admit I AM going off of both others' pics and my own accessories.  I see what you're saying...but i think I am going to keep to my method for now.  I hve both a description and the pic.  If I have a pic of a lavender comb on my monitor, then match my aqua comb to that lavender also using my monitor, then it won't look any different than that original picture.  That might have its own problems, but...what're ya gonna do, you know?

I always ask permission from ebay people if I use their pics.  I don't use pictures without permission.  Period.

I appreciate the time you took to offer your insight..  C:

Regenveertje--thanks!  I am a fan of transparent GIFs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »
My brain probably didn't communicate it; it doesn't always.

I meant having some kind of navigation structure on each page to give a user more freedom to choose where they want to go next (rather than back and forth between pages in a set order). For example, on Surprise's page, links to other ponies that go in her set, or links to other sets. That kind of thing.

And I hope you don't think I was trying to discourage you - the opposite :) I think that the more ID sites there are the better and would never say otherwise. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of what you were getting into.

With the images for accessories, ultimately it has to be your choice. I just worry about the fact there is already so much inaccurate or confused information out there relating to accessories because of ribbon fading and the lack of the MOC ponies surviving in certain cases. It worries me a bit that your method, while well meaning, might actually add to that confusion when a lot of ribbons are very similar. I gave up trying to match loose ribbons to most ponies a long time ago (xD) but I know some folk are very particular about having the right bits and pieces, and ultimately they could sell the wrong item if the information they had was confused.

That's my big concern. I know from personal experience that incorrect information on an ID site can cause a LOT of trouble. Bottom line is, it's easier to create a mistake than eradicate it. That's why, 18 years after DV listed white Tootsie as a UK pony, you'll still find that information on at least one ID site, even though it isn't true...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
Off topic but I haven't seen you around in ages! Dream Valley is gone but there are so many different pony sites now it's kinda crazy. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
I'm with Taffeta on this one; editing images to alter the colour just seems like a bad idea for an ID site. Even if you put a clear disclaimer that the images were edited and the actual colour may vary, or w/e, I've learned from years of experience that people have a bad tendency to overlook such things (and I'm talking in general here, not just about MLP). It seems like it could cause more harm than good, to me.. But it's your decision, lol.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
Oh!  OK I see what you mean about the links...that's not a bad idea!  Sort of a network of related links.  What's your opinion on other versions of the same pony being on the same page?  Like should Surprise and Baby Surprise each have her own page, or, as I'm doing, have all the Surprises on the same one?

I did not take it as discouraging, know.  I do know what I'm getting into.  Ultimately it might not ever be what I want it to, but it IS a hobby, not a job, or anything, so if I can't hack it, it's no big deal.  But yeah I'll be working on that sucker...the more I learn and/or the more resources I find/tap XD

Yours and Carrehz's point about the accessories is a good one.  I think I'm pretty safe when it comes to the things like the comb and the like.  I've been comparing each one to different pictures of MIB ponies and different pics of eeach color, so I am fairly confident.  but the ribbons are touch...  I might just find a good pic of, say, a white ribbon as an example of what they look like and then just list the color.  (But the bow I made just looks cool...dang it lol)  I'll think about either way though.  I'm still working on how I want to do each individual pony's page.

I did not know that about Tootsie!

Maddie--Hey!  Nice to see you.  But--Dream Valley was awesome! lol  I did like it a lot.  I just hope its owner is all right.

OK--so I redid my first post.  hopefully it's less of a mess and has all the information needed...  Thanks again, guys!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:45:34 PM by hyenacub »

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Website--I Need Pics!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:13 AM »
So--I've added a lexicon to the site!  If anyone likes--check it out!  Lemme know if there's anything you think should be added.  I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff.

I'm not including ALL the pny types.  Just the ones that I see most often...sicne the pony types are already covererd.

http://cubskids.comule.com/lexicon.html

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 05:15:09 AM »
Personally Cubby I know its hard work but I miss DV a lot and I'm really glad that you're doing this project :bigups:  :lovey: :hug:   I know there are plenty pony sites but I tend to use just a few  (Wiki is great but my computer no likey all the time so this works better for me)  and I like your version.
I'd be happy to help.. the main issue with me helping ATM is that a lot of my current G1 pics... and there are literally  1000's ... is that I prefer a dark background for a single /plain pony pic  (a lot are taken on a dark oak dining table with a dark background to show up colors)  so most of them wouldn't do for your site , and many of my pics have multiple ponies in 'em  :facepalm:   I'll take a lookie to see if I can do some others or find some suitable ones when I get a bit more time and a lot more organized :blush: :) :awake:  In the meantime  give me a prod if there's something specific you know I have that you need pics of ( for example if you needed MOC UK BnG Ringlets, MIB US BnG Ringlets, MOC Chief  ;) )

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 04:03:47 AM »
Ringlets--thank you!  I do need single pics, but the wood background isn't UBER necessary, I just like the weed background, and it would be grat for consistency.  Still, any pics you're willing to let me use would be awesome, assuming they're big enough.

I definite'y need pics of accessories of all kinds, and the background doesn't matter, so long as they're straight on shots, because I will be making them into transparent gifs.

MOC/MIP etc are *definitely* needed!  And the background doesn't matter on those, either.  The one and only thing I have MIP is baby Stocking.  XD    I'd love to use your MOC pics.  I'll be wanting those for each invidual pony's page.

Also...1000s of ponies.  O_O WOW.  That's impressive.  Someday...someday!  XD

I'd like to ask your opiion, though---should I lumo all of the "same" pony o one page, like Surprise and So Soft Surprise, and the babies...or shoud each pony have his/her pwn page?  I am strating to lean towards the latter.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
:bigups:  I'll see what I've got then. I may have to take some new pics of the MOCs/MIB because I resized them to kinda small when I originally took them for on here. They might be big enough still, but since I have noooo idea it's prolly gonna be easier to just take new pics of those  than to try and get my brain to figure out what dimensions they are  :blush:

I'd like to ask your opiion, though---should I lumo all of the "same" pony o one page, like Surprise and So Soft Surprise, and the babies...or shoud each pony have his/her pwn page?  I am strating to lean towards the latter.

I think I'd give each pony their own page but put a mention of other variants /types in the description, so that if say someone looks up Surprise ( regular US release), there is also a mention on her page that there is  also a So Soft version, baby etc  :awake: :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Vettefromm

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vetten.weebly.com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »
Great initiative - I have bookmarked your site already and look forward to follow it's journey :heart:

Feel free to use any and all my pictures from my website: Vettens Ponies
I have quite a few MIB/MOCs and Nirvanas as well as UK ponies and regulars - and most of my pictures are in a size you can use, I believe.
Just credit me as "Vettefromm" and a link back to my website would be appreciated :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »
I'll start today.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »
I can nab you some photos of some TE ponies! I'm only missing a few.

I'll get you the photos as soon as I'm home!

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
Wow what a lovely site, easy to navigate and really well set out - well done!

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it but on the very first page of the G1s, (This page http://cubskids.comule.com/1982.html) under Snuzzle's description, it actually looks to be a photo of Peachy!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:38:30 AM by Tracks »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 12:39:08 AM »
Ringlets--thank you!  Hmm.  I think you're right.  Because I want lots of detail on the individual pages.  Still  working those out.

Vettefrom--awesome, thank you!  OOOO you hve lots of awesome poonies....  O_O  I will drool over your page a while.  I need a page of pony links, too...I think I shall make one.  I can definitey use some--not the ones with the bight patterend bgs...but the ones with the iridescant ones!  That's a cool idea for a background!  And I can snag some good symbol pics too  Awesome!  ::goes back to drooling::

Whisper, thank you!  Please tell me by what name and link (if ny) you want me to credit you.

Kikwifluff--awesome, thank you!  also lemme know how you'd like to be credited.

Tracks--I don't mind at all!  I like knowing mistakes.  but that *is* actually Snuzzle.  My Snuzzle is a bit discolored.  My Peachy is on this page for comparison.  http://cubskids.comule.com/1983.html#plays
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:44:33 AM by hyenacub »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »
Oh!  OK I see what you mean about the links...that's not a bad idea!  Sort of a network of related links.  What's your opinion on other versions of the same pony being on the same page?  Like should Surprise and Baby Surprise each have her own page, or, as I'm doing, have all the Surprises on the same one?

What I did with the Scrapbook regarding things like this was that I put versions of the same pony on the one page, but different ponies on different. So Baby Surprise is separate from adult, but the SS is on the same page as the original. Hang on, getting the link...

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/surprise.htm
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/baby_surprise.htm

Like this.

One of the things that is a weakness with my page and something I'm working on as I work through adding the 300 or so MIP images I still have to get up there is too much text on some pages. So beware of that in terms of detail. Too much can be too much...if that makes sense :)

I also still have navigational link issues in places that I'm working on, when I have time, so definitely decide your link structure and stick to it early on. It will make life easier. There are changes I want to make to the Scrapbook's navigation in order to make it more fluid, but doing it will require such a lot of work that I haven't got around to it yet...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal