collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I sell most of my ponies to save for 1 year of car insurance?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I sell most of my ponies to save for 1 year of car insurance?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
I am shocked at what it costs for a year on car insurace in the uk! mine is only 120 us dollars a year in america. or about 95 british pounds.
i wonder why it is so much?  I would say hold off on the car until you see you realy need it. like to get a job or something. if you don't have a good way of making the money back after you sell your ponies then hold of. if you sell them and you have no other income then you will wind up with no ponies,no money and no insurance
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
I definitely think you shouldn't sell your ponies, as others have said. They are too precious to you. And you'd always feel the need to part with any others you acquire for insurance purposes. Your mom said she'd take care of you for now which is really sweet of her. :)
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline LadyStarCatcher

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
I didn't have my own car until I was 22. Haha. There's always ways to get around. :)

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
Don't do it. Seriously.

Cars are expensive. If you do this now, you'll forever be selling your collection to pay for petrol or maintenance. I'm sorry but if you can't afford to replace your Blackberry, you can't afford to run a car. :(

^^^^this

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:01 AM »
I'm 33 and have no license and i have a car standing in front of my house. My fiance has a license and we use the car only in the weekends to buy groceries and other things around town. And we have the car for visiting his family. And sometimes for day trips.
Here in holland you have to take your car to a garage each year for a checkup. If it comes around for us and there are things wrong and expensive and we do not have the money for it it is bye bye car.
Cars are such money eating monsters...and sometimes i'm also thinking about a license but then i have to pay for lessons and exam and insurrance, and dubble the gas we normally use. So i have put the wish for a license aside and drive myself around town by bus.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Don't do it. Seriously.

Cars are expensive. If you do this now, you'll forever be selling your collection to pay for petrol or maintenance. I'm sorry but if you can't afford to replace your Blackberry, you can't afford to run a car. :(

Uh yeah, this.  You have to have a very sustainable system in place to afford a car.  Unless you have a closet of Ladybirds you're planning on selling on Ebay over the next five years or so, you aren't going to make nearly enough money to maintain and own a vehicle. 

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
The thing is, owning and operating cars gets expensive. Beyond just insurance, a second hand car is going to have a lot more problems than a new car. I've been there, done that. My first car was a $400 clunker, that while I took good care of it, it had a lot of issues. Thankfully my family was able to repair it and kept the costs down. But it was still pricey... even 8 years ago!

I eventually ended up selling my car and shared a car with my parents. Thankfully, my dad had his own car and my mom never drove. So I used her car most of the time.  When you get older, your insurance goes down by A LOT. Of course, doing things for you is important... is it something that you ABSOLUTELY need right now? Or is it out of desire to be like your friends and be able to go out and go places. It offers a lot of freedom, which is great. But with all that freedom is a lot of responsibility. Even if you are a great driver, there are a lot of people who are completely wreckless and careless.

I'm 30 right now and I do not have a car. I do however, have my license and insurance. I share a car with my husband and I'm saving for a down payment on a new car.  As much as I would have loved to drive as a teenager, I'm glad that I waited a short while, until I was 20 for the rate to go down substantially.

Of course things for yourself are more important that plastic toy ponies. So of course, selling them if you need money for something important is good. But just remember that you're going to keep shelling out money, and ponies are not going to fund it forever.  It's honestly best if you find a job, or find something creative you can do with your time to fund yourself (or both lol). I would honestly keep my most treasured and favorite ponies and sell the rest to fund something worthwhile, such as a car. That way, there's not much to regret. :)

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
I haven't read all the replies so please forgive me if this is repetitive.  Cars are GIANT money pits.  It's much more than the initial purchase, gas, and insurance.  Upkeep costs are quite high, even on good and newer cars. Oil changes, air filter changes, inspections if your area does that, let alone that cars need unexpected repairs fairly regularly.

I didn't buy a car until I was out of college (university, not high school) and that was one of the best financial choices I ever made.  In high school and college if you can, use public transportation, rides from friends, and your bike.  I actually really miss riding my bike everywhere.

If you can get by without a car until you're a bit older, it really will save you a lot of money.  Money equals freedom in a lot of ways.  No car to pay for means less need for a job so more time to concentrate on school, hobbies, and having fun being a teenager.  Jobs are fine for teenagers, it'll give you a boost on your resume, but there's no need to get yourself dependent on it just yet.

I think I'm a bit anti-car.   :huh:

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal