collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coral Haired Starglow/Glow n Show Variant discussion thread!  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Coral Haired Starglow/Glow n Show Variant discussion thread!
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »
Carrying on from KittyPinkDreams’ brag thread about coral Starglow I thought I’d share the photos of the coral Starglow I also got this month in a random eBay lot. I didn’t know she was in there, so it was quite a shock!

Both coral Starglows are from the U.K. which is in itself a surprise as it was previously assumed they were only available in the US. This does not  seem to be the case now as both of the Starglows we got this month were definitely bought in the U.K..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see the difference if quite distinct. The yellow is also much darker and richer. 

I’m so pleased I’ve finally got all 4 Starglow variants! She’s my favourite pony and I honestly never thought I’d get my hands on the coral one.

Share your Glow n Show variants if you have any!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:53:25 PM by Noasar »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Coral Haired Starglow/Glow n Show Variant discussion thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »
They are all so beautiful!  And you take lovely pictures.   It’s nice to see them all together like that.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:47:26 PM »
Noasar, without being too specific, do you know what part of the UK yours came from? I have a thought but I am not sure if it's valid or if it isn't atm...

Also there's the weird yellow/white haired one out there too don't forget!

We have three Starglows - I am missing the very vivid blue one though that picture does show the distinction really well. My sister's has the rougher yellow hair and is childhood bought from here in the UK. The other two (Coral and magenta silky versions) came from the US. The magenta silky was from a childhood collection about three or four years ago.

All I remember about Coral is that she came in a lot from the US and I kept her because she looked different to any other Starglow I'd ever seen before. I thought it was 10 years ago but I have an old site photo for her which means it was probably around 15. The reason it's assumed she was sold in the US was because at the time she was the only one known about and she came from the US. They really do seem a lot less common than blue heart Dazzle.

Good example of why continually updating information and correcting outdated assumptions is important! Yesterday I amended my site to add that 2 had been obtained in the UK as well.

Some space somewhere in this thread should probably also be dedicated to aqua vs blue Happyglow and whether there are any other versions of her than those two...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:57:14 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
Here's my Starglow and Dazzle Glow

My Dazzleglow is the fading pink hair variant.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 07:33:35 AM »
:wow:

I remember Moodymandy having the melon hair variant, this was a loooong time ago and I cannot remember the details.

Please can you explain the differences between your Starglows Noasar? I can see slight difference in them :blush:

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:42:44 PM by Noasar »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
Wow never knew these existed, I might have to hunt them down now.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »

I remember Moodymandy having the melon hair variant, this was a loooong time ago and I cannot remember the details.

Please can you explain the differences between your Starglows Noasar? I can see slight difference in them :blush:

Love pkw xxx

There’s a curly (rough) hair version, silky hair, coral hair and the one on the right is dark blue :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 05:22:54 AM »

Love pkw xxx

There’s a curly (rough) hair version, silky hair, coral hair and the one on the right is dark blue :)

Noasar, I mentioned it above, but do you know where in the UK roughly your lot came from?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 07:24:08 AM »

Love pkw xxx

Noasar, I mentioned it above, but do you know where in the UK roughly your lot came from?

The auction said Gillingham.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »

Love pkw xxx

Thank you for explaining :) I can see it now I know what I am looking for :)

Looks like I had the smooth haired version when I owned her :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »
That looks like the dark blue version too - she seems to (so far) be US only. I’ve seen a lot 4 dark blue ones and they’ve all come from the US. Was yours from the US or U.K.?

Offline aria_elwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »
They're gorgeous!

Out of curiousity Noasar did you have to reset curly's curls?

I'll try and get a better photo of my curly Starglow and slightly wavy Brightglow. You can see Starglow's head in my avatar. Both are from the UK and I actually got them together off ebay years ago.

I remember the first time I talked about her over at the trading post not long after I bought them, I was informed that her previous owner must have curled it because Starglow was released with straight hair. Now of course it's possible they're not factory but... then again.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
My sister's rough haired Starglow never had curls, but I would be inclined to believe in curly from the factory as a possibility. Aside Brightglow coming with curly sections (which I'll get to in a minute XD), both baby Rainribbon and baby Sunribbon have supposedly straight streaks in their hair but they actually often curl in the UK release and are more thickly rooted. I haven't had a chance to go nab Naynie's Starglow off the shelf to see if that's true for her too. This is she, but it's an old picture.

Unfortunately she has frizz, but I think her hair may have been a little wilder from new than the silky ones. Not curly, I don't think (Naynie might remember, Starglow was a huge favourite of hers, I'll have to ask her), but possibly wavy.

This is my coral one, I don't have a photo of my magenta silky but she's like the bog standard normal silky release. I don't have a blue one.

I've always found it interesting how greenish she is compared to Naynie's childhood one.

As for Brightglow...my childhood one has straight silky magenta streaks and curly lavender streaks.

This is she, she came on the UK card.

She was always like that, it bothered me as a kid as I couldn't work out what to do with her hair. In the end I used to braid the straight bits and put bows in the curls. My sister has a very wrecked Brightglow which she rescued from a pony lot I had from the US and she has what I think was originally the straight silky hair. The purple in it is a darker colour than my childhood pony's as well. I'm really interested in this coral Brightglow Babydoll was talking about since it sounds like there's at least one more BG out there and I'd love to know if there were more.

Aria_elwen, was it you that mentioned having a Brightglow with similar hair quirks to mine? I know there was someone else in the UK who did...

@Noasar, thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to know because KittyPinkDreams said hers was from Scotland, and then Babydoll mentioned finding a couple of Brightglows, so I was trying to work out if there was a geographical connection...but Gillingham seems quite a long way away for that to be a possibility.

If PKW's Starglow is a blue one (she looks very translucent) and she didn't come from the US that will throw the question wide open about regions again. I mean, I would assume she came from the same wave as blue heart Dazzleglow who (to my current knowledge) has never been found in the UK yet, because of the translucency - but this set is consistently throwing up mysteries.

The hair thing though - I know this is the year they had to change hair providers and they went through a few. And I've seen a Singing Pocket/Sweet Pocket with coral instead of pink in her hair as well at least once in the past. So my theory is that in production they used the normal hair then it ran out, they replaced it with coral for a while and then moved to the coarser type of hair. That would explain why coarser versions don't tend to show up stateside for any of these sets (as we got them later) but why there's some mixed distribution among the ones produced in the middle. (And why the translucent ones like blue heart Daz and maybe blue starglow are mostly in the US).

...Possible?

Also, for glowing magic experts, are there more than 2 versions of Happyglow out there?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 11:14:48 PM »
They're gorgeous!

Out of curiousity Noasar did you have to reset curly's curls?

I'll try and get a better photo of my curly Starglow and slightly wavy Brightglow. You can see Starglow's head in my avatar. Both are from the UK and I actually got them together off ebay years ago.

I remember the first time I talked about her over at the trading post not long after I bought them, I was informed that her previous owner must have curled it because Starglow was released with straight hair. Now of course it's possible they're not factory but... then again.

No, I’ve never touched or re-set the curls or even brushed them. The curly Starglow came from a childhood lot where the little girl had looked after her ponies so well...her flutters (that I also have) even had their wings, the whole lot looked like it had never been played with so I am 100% sure they’re original.

There is a curly haired Starglow on eBay at the moment too.

I think there is a blue/aqua variation of Happyglow. Some bodies are also more yellow than orange, but I don’t think that’s an actual variation, more just slightly different batches or ageing over time.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 04:10:52 AM »

I think there is a blue/aqua variation of Happyglow. Some bodies are also more yellow than orange, but I don’t think that’s an actual variation, more just slightly different batches or ageing over time.

Those are the two variations I mean - I have aqua, my sister has blue (I think it's that way around, hers is also new from the UK, mine was second hand loose and I believe from the US but I am not 100% sure on that or anything around her origin).  In any case we have one aqua and one blue haired, I was just wondering if there were any others.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal