collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll Collector vs Doll Horder?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline megsense

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/megsense/
Doll Collector vs Doll Horder?
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
I'm posting perhaps more in hopes of finding reasons not to feel guilty, than anything else.

Lately I have been finding myself in stores, upset that I missed out on a set (doll, or clothes). I get mad at myself and then decide to go through some of the dolls I have to feel better. And what do I find? The set I was mad at myself for not getting. I bought it and forgot!

This has been happening a LOT. So I begin to feel guilty... If it's really that important to buy, shouldn't I remember I bought it?! Isn't this wasteful and horribly spoiled and very much a CONSUME attitude I've got going on?

Does anyone go through this? Or am I really out of line and need to restrict my buying. Or perhaps.. I just need a spread sheet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Line art from MLP:fim

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Doll Collector vs Doll Horder?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »
Maybe you just need to organize better and get a spreadsheet! In my mind, hoarding is when it becomes an unhealthy obsession, where you have so much of something that it begins to interfere with your life and other things that are important. Especially if you can't bring yourself to get rid of even the most forgotten about dolls because it seems like it would be too much emotional pain.

I think you just need to organize better, get a spreadsheet, and put detailed labels on any storage boxes you may use for them. Obviously once you have enough of something it's easy to forget details about your collection! Heck I only have 40 something ponies and I already don't remember all of their names and if they weren't on display I would forget some of them even exist! It happens. It's just poor memory and lack of organization.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
I'm posting perhaps more in hopes of finding reasons not to feel guilty, than anything else.

Lately I have been finding myself in stores, upset that I missed out on a set (doll, or clothes). I get mad at myself and then decide to go through some of the dolls I have to feel better. And what do I find? The set I was mad at myself for not getting. I bought it and forgot!

This has been happening a LOT. So I begin to feel guilty... If it's really that important to buy, shouldn't I remember I bought it?! Isn't this wasteful and horribly spoiled and very much a CONSUME attitude I've got going on?

Does anyone go through this? Or am I really out of line and need to restrict my buying. Or perhaps.. I just need a spread sheet.

Maybe the fact that you're thinking about it, means you're not that bad off? Like, if you were really terrible it wouldn't occur to you. And...you could look at it like finding treasure! I'd be pretty excited to discover I already owned something I was thinking of buying.

Haha, but a spreadsheet would definitely help. I have a checklist for both of the things I try to collect to completion. It helps me keep track of what I have, and just the act of having the checklist spurs me to get new things and check them off. (Even if that's a bit dangerous, haha.)

But if it's really bothering you, you could also try buying less and seeing if that makes you feel any better.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
You just need a spreadsheet! With something like dolls, ponies, or nail polish, where there's A LOT of product, of course it's easy to get confused! And when you're searching for something forever, find it, but don't have time to enjoy it, the purchase doesn't really sink in, so your brain is still kind of set to 'hunt' mode. I've bought doubles before...I'm sure most of us have!

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
lol I've had that happen with ponies and I found a box of MIB Monster High dolls I had forgotten about.  >_<

Offline Mad-March

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
I feel like hoarding is when you're getting stuff that you don't need. In a collecting hobby like dolls it common and acceptable to get like one of everything, but getting duplicates just seems unnecessary! A spreadsheet or list seems like a good idea, what you have in order of when they were released? So like a checklist type thing, maybe!

Offline megsense

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/megsense/
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »

Maybe you just need to organize better and get a spreadsheet! In my mind, hoarding is when it becomes an unhealthy obsession,
Def. not a horder in the medical (for lack of a better word) sense. Memory seems to be part of it; my memories (like most females) are emotional based. If I don't connect with what I'm buying I don't really remember I have it.
Maybe the fact that you're thinking about it, means you're not that bad off? Like, if you were really terrible it wouldn't occur to you. And...you could look at it like finding treasure! I'd be pretty excited to discover I already owned something I was thinking of buying.

I suppose that is true, that if I were truely as CONSUME orented I wouldn't even notice. And you're right about the excitment. I do feel very pleased to find that I DIDN'T miss out on buying something. It's kinda like finding money in an old purse or book. The guilt just comes later when I look around and go "Wow... I don't deserve this doll/pony/etc if I'm not even gonna appericate it enough to remember it."
You just need a spreadsheet! With something like dolls, ponies, or nail polish, where there's A LOT of product, of course it's easy to get confused! And when you're searching for something forever, find it, but don't have time to enjoy it, the purchase doesn't really sink in, so your brain is still kind of set to 'hunt' mode. I've bought doubles before...I'm sure most of us have!

This is pretty spot on! lol. As the items are release that hunt mode def. takes over. I'm glad I'm not alone on doubles.
lol I've had that happen with ponies and I found a box of MIB Monster High dolls I had forgotten about.

I was thinking the MIB issue might be a big part of it. Most of what I'm finding is never opened (litterally still in the bag).
I feel like hoarding is when you're getting stuff that you don't need. In a collecting hobby like dolls it common and acceptable to get like one of everything, but getting duplicates just seems unnecessary! A spreadsheet or list seems like a good idea, what you have in order of when they were released? So like a checklist type thing, maybe!
I'm probably going to try this. I used to keep a note book for Mangas (and paint colors) so I didn't buy doubles (which would happen anyway if I forgot the note book). Gives me an excuse to buy a cute note book too.. XD (kidding kidding)

Thank you all for the advice!! ;]

Line art from MLP:fim

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
I think you just need a notebook or a spreadsheet. Hoarders just constantly acquire stuff, whatever the get their hands on. Collectors look for specific things.

Repulsive333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
This has been a thought of mine for a long time now.
I went through my dolls just the other day and i realized that i do not have emotional connections with some of them.

I have no idea where the line of Hoarding starts and Collecting begins.
But i am liking the spreadsheet idea for ponies. I have lost track at this point and that makes me very sad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal