collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your favorite paints and mix ins?  (Read 174 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
What are your favorite paints and mix ins?
« on: May 22, 2022, 07:30:56 AM »
Did we have a thread like this already? :think: We did the supply list. Hmm.

Anyway! What are your favorite paints to use? Do you use any mix-ins like pearl powder?

I use both Createx and craft acrylic for airbrushing and painting. Craft brands are Folk Art and Apple Barrel. Folk Art has the best black and white, imo. I also have Arteza color shift paints which I used on a non-pony sculpture. They are pretty cool!

I've never used mica powders or anything as a mix in. I do have Rub 'n Buff, which is a thick paint you put on after something is painted and dried. You buff it with a soft towel and it gives a metallic shine. Really neat stuff. I also have an antiquing medium that is great for making things look old and rusty.

My special effects paints are Createx mainly; metallic, iridescent, fluorescent, pearl, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: What are your favorite paints and mix ins?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 11:20:23 AM »
I do all my painting by hand and Folk Art is my favourite brand, hands down. I don't know what I would do without their white paint! I do have some artist grade paints but those always leave a slightly sticky, rubbery finish. It doesn't particularly matter in most cases as I can fix it with polyurethane varnish, but it means I can't leave the pony lying around for long or it will be full of dust particles and cat hair. XD  Light colours are a pain, though, as my FBR technique very much relies on the slightly chalky finish of the Folk Art white. These days I try to avoid other brands and just buy Folk Art. I also like Citadel but those jars are tiny...

I rarely use mix-ins or special effects paints. I've tried pearlescent powder before (can't remember the brand, sorry) and it worked fine, but the effect was quite subtle and the matte varnish I use dulled it even more. I suppose there are better alternatives.

I presume Rub 'n Buff is like Inka-Gold? I have a couple of jars of the latter, it would be fun to try those on ponies some time. I've also wanted to play around with crackling medium, no idea if it would work at all or if it requires a porous surface like wood or cardboard. Has anyone tried crackle medium on ponies before? :D

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 03:40:06 PM »
Good thread idea! :taking notes:
I really like Createx paints both for airbrushing and regular painting.  I tend to use paint that is too thick and try to knock it out in one or two layers.  The thinner paint encourages me to work on many thinner layers for a better finished product.  I do use reducer when running it through the airbrush (especially white! too thick).
I looovvee Testor's Dullcote matte finish sealant.  It makes everything seem more professional and gets rid of tackiness/shininess. 

For quick projects that are not too detailed I like Archer and Olive's acrylograph pens.  I have a ton of colors and they are very fast grab and go.  The tips are .07 so not great for fine details. 

Griffin is the crackling medium enamel based?  I have struggled with any form of enamel on pony plastic.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:55:18 PM »
Griffin is the crackling medium enamel based?  I have struggled with any form of enamel on pony plastic.

Hmm I don't think so? It's meant to be used with acrylics. I don't know what the shelf life of this product is, though, I've had the bottle for yeeears ^^; Not sure if it's even usable anymore.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 02:29:50 AM »
I haven't ever used mix-ins; HOWEVER.

THIS.

I WANNA LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS!!

I want to figure out how to make a holographic pony, because holy cow, this is one of the coolest, most beautiful effects I have seen in a LONG while!! :heart:

(This is the holographic-grey "Uffington" model, from Breyerfest 2021!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 06:08:27 AM »
CSA - I have a lot of customs, and over the years most of them have gone tacky. It really sucks because the customs are amazing by very talented artists. Some get dust and cat hair stuck to them so bad, I need to wash them with a toothbrush. Yours have always been the best as far as sealant goes. They are nice and dry and I can dust them off no problem. I also use Testor's Dullcote for my customs. It's a shame that Mod Podge was recommended and used for so long.

Griffin - I've crackled wood before. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a pony. You'd probably have to do it in sections and let them dry in between applications. Same with gold and silver leaf, which I've always wanted to try.

Snap - I did a quick search because I thought Createx had holographic colors for their auto line, but I can't find them. I suppose... you could mix holographic glitter into iridescent paint and get the effect that way. It's worth trying I think :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal