collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: show me your paint storage  (Read 1209 times)

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
show me your paint storage
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
my current paint storage is just not working. the addition of a toddler makes the rack I have difficult to store and use. so I am looking for a new option, and would love to see how everyone stores their paint containers

my current set up (with only half the paint actually ON the rack, the rest are all over my work table...mostly because I have to store said rack in a location that isn't easy to get to....gah):
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: show me your paint storage
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
My paint storage is embarrassing compared to yours... I either leave them on my little customizing table, or I throw them haphazardly into one of three little boxes. ._.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:42:02 PM »
One of these.  Hair in the top, etc below, baits in one large drawer, paint in the bottom.  Kind of exploding ATM...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Cart-Set-of-2-Black/20699656
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Mana_Mihara

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
One of these.  Hair in the top, etc below, baits in one large drawer, paint in the bottom.  Kind of exploding ATM...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Cart-Set-of-2-Black/20699656

Mines pretty much the same as this and I wish I had room for something that's easier to organize...so I'm interested to see what others are doing too. XD

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ManaMiharasCustoms

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
I use a media storage unit for my paint and it works really well.

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
 wow those are very neat! mine is just a plastic bag that goes from one place to another in the house!! lol
now i´m ashamed of myself

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
Mine is also a plastic bag, which at the moment is under my kitchen table :) mine are mostly tubes, so are kinda hard to organize :)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
I have a similar paint system as Hannaliten has - I've got a wooden cd tower/cabinet that lays on its side.

The plastic cubbies above it are for organizing my current projects so that all their bits stay together.  I've got a plastic bin that's slightly bigger than a large shoebox that holds my hair.

Offline Starshinescustoms

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Bunny Mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
Storage? S-t-o-r-a-g-e..... Nope, sorry, I don't know that word.
My paint is just all over my desk in random locations. Which could explain why I've lost both bottles of my matt black. Been looking for it for weeks >_< I've only got metallic black at the moment.
I did have a small shelf-thing that I used to stack them up on, but why put them away when you're just going to get them out again, right?  :P
Hannaliten:
Now that is organization! If you came over here and tried to customize a pony at my desk, you'd go crazy before you even got started lol.
Not only do you have it all neatly put away, but it's organized by colour too!
Love the random airbrushed box in the corner lol. I've kind of got the same thing going on here. If it's near my desk, it's been used as a testing surface for my airbrush xD
Jupiternwndrlnd:
What about some kind of wall-mounted cabinet? That should (hopefully) be out of reach of your toddler. Or perhaps in some kind of organizer that is kept up on a shelf?
By the way, sorry to get off topic. But I noticed what appears to be Anita's Christmas Red paint on your rack? (I use Anita's paint too, that's why I recognized it lol) be careful if you use that one directly on a pony. I... made that mistake... I had to strip about five ponies that I had painted with it as after about a week it bled into the plastic. Once it's bled in, it doesn't come out. One of them only had a touch of red in it (it was a mixed colour), and it still bled in. I discovered putting a sealant on the area prevents it to some degree, but the best thing so far is to do a silhouette of the symbol in another colour, then go over in red. That seems to work, as long as you don't let the red contact the plastic of the pony.
Sorry, you probably already know this. It's just that after the pain of having to strip hours of work on multiple ponies, I really don't want to see anyone else make the same mistake I did  >_<
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StarshinesCustoms?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/starshinebunny
Note: I have changed my ebay username from 'Starshinescustoms' to 'Starshinebunny' but it's still me  :P
DA: http://starshinescustoms.deviantart.com/

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
hanna, your storage and horde of supplies makes me drooooooooooooooooool

coin -- I LOVE the idea of the cubbies for the project supplies and bits....genius!

I am leaning toward a tower like hanna has (i could keep that in my room...which is off limits to toddlers....its also where the majority of my pony collection is)
OR some sort of plastic bins with a lid....tho I do love the rack you have coin.
I just have this thing about having the paint stacked up all over my work area. i mean, it happens all time ....but with 150 different bottles of paint, its really starts to consume the crafting area and make me bonkers! (well, more so than normal)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »
hanna, your storage and horde of supplies makes me drooooooooooooooooool

coin -- I LOVE the idea of the cubbies for the project supplies and bits....genius!

I am leaning toward a tower like hanna has (i could keep that in my room...which is off limits to toddlers....its also where the majority of my pony collection is)
OR some sort of plastic bins with a lid....tho I do love the rack you have coin.
I just have this thing about having the paint stacked up all over my work area. i mean, it happens all time ....but with 150 different bottles of paint, its really starts to consume the crafting area and make me bonkers! (well, more so than normal)
It's a nicely sized tower.  I took the door off the front; lighthouses and sailboats aren't really my thing ;)

I tend to spread everything out while I work.  Over the course of about 6 hours, I'll make a huge mess, with hanks of hair hanging off of ponies who are in the cubbies, paint all over the place, and me working on about a 12"x12" space (the pink mat in the middle of the desk).  I've gotten into the habit of just clearing/reorganizing prior to sitting down and starting work.  I really need a better hair filing system; my bin is getting too small.

This is actually a bigger shot of my whole workshop, taken last weekend:

On the right you can just barely see the bookcase with miscellaneous supplies and hair, and my air compressor's hose.  The little enclosure on the right is a closet under my stairs, which my husband converted into an airbrush nook for me.  On the left, is my little black kitty who enjoys sitting on the edge of my desk and supervising my every move.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
coinop, I love your airbrushing nook!

I LOVE hannaliten's organization so much. I copied her hair storage method and I LOVE it. LOVE. I may just copy her paint storage method too. ;)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
Oh, coinop, that's no mess. Here's the mess I'm working in right now.

My small item storage boxes.

And my sewing desk on the opposite wall.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
I need pony bins for the ones I'm working on!  Did not know that about the paint bleeding.  I have a red I should check out.  But that means getting up...
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Starshinescustoms

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Bunny Mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »
I need pony bins for the ones I'm working on!  Did not know that about the paint bleeding.  I have a red I should check out.  But that means getting up...
Lol! I know that feeling :P
I've only ever had trouble with the red. Everything else has always been fine. I think it's best to be cautious with red paint in general - I don't think it's the brand at fault, red paint just seems to be a little dangerous to certain plastics.
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StarshinesCustoms?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/starshinebunny
Note: I have changed my ebay username from 'Starshinescustoms' to 'Starshinebunny' but it's still me  :P
DA: http://starshinescustoms.deviantart.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal