collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Martha Stewart craft acrylics?  (Read 313 times)

princeichi

• Trade Count: (0)
Martha Stewart craft acrylics?
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Hey there! First post in the customs forum.

I actually have a small ramble regarding paint preferences! One of my friends used to work at a Michael's arts and crafts store right about when they got the martha stewart line of paint and crafting supplies, and turned me onto this stuff. Her paint is supposedly pretty quality considering it's craft paint, and paints on literally any surface.

I experimented a while ago when I was first interested in customs on a baity g4 rarity I had laying around, and I was actually super surprised at how well it covered, and matched the finish on the original plastic with minimal streaks (without watering it down, even!) She also has a satin finish top coat in the line that makes everything super silky.

Today I went and picked up some metallic from that line, a satin finish pearl (mother-of-pearl is the color), and metallic copper. I haven't used them on a pony yet, but I'll be using the pearl for the body color of a custom I'm working on! (as well as the copper for the sculpting I did)

I was curious if anyone else has used these, or had a solid opinion on them for customs.

They're also pretty pricey, a little 2 oz bottle is about $2, but I've been impressed so far! They have a pretty decent binder to pigment ratio, almost the same as the pricey student acrylics I had to use for class.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thoughts?

I might have pictures later tonight after I sand down the pony.

Offline RedLynx

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Stewart craft acrylics?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
I have some and really like them!  The one I'm using at the moment is pale and matte and looks really nice, not as prone to being streaky.

princeichi

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Oh I didn't know they had a matte finish! How is it? The problem I have with other acrylics is you can tell it's dried paint on plastic. @__@ that's why I really like the Satin.

Also I did a thin coat of the pearl to test the color on the pony and WOW that stuff A LOT of the pearlescent pigment packed in.

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
I used a mix of the Pearl colors Fruit Punch and Purple Martin as eyeshadow on a custom I am working on.   I had to do more than one coat, but that might just be because I was trying to be extra careful not to glob paint everywhere, so I was wiping a lot of it off my brush before hand.   Or maybe I didn't mix the two colors well enough.  However, that being said, I really like the paint, and I think her eyeshadow came out nice (possibly the only part of her eyes I like). 

I definitely plan on buying more Martha Stewart paints in the future, when I have spare cash.

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

Offline babyprincess_sparkle

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustoms
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
I just used the pearl paint on one of my customs.  The horn and the tail have the true color, and I used it to coat over the blue on the hair.  I loved how it came out =)

http://www.facebook.com/mylittleponycustomsvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

princeichi

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »
Oh wow that's a beautiful paint job on the mane and horn! I can't wait to paint this pony now haha.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »
I have never tried it...hmmm I get paid friday may have to make a trip t Michaels .

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
I'll try pretty much any type of acrylic- there's some expensive ones at JoAnns but they cover soooo smoothly and don't leave streaks- they're soy based. It's actually much cheaper on this site, so I imagine they're carried elsewhere-

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP127306214msk.htm

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
Oh I think I saw that piant at my art supply store yesterday!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal