collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Styles and methods for re-rooting hair & different plug arrangements?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Styles and methods for re-rooting hair & different plug arrangements?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Seems I need a bandaid or medical tape in my left index finger.  I keep scuffing it.

I  use bandaids, too... after a while your fingers get sore (with the thread or wire method, I mean) and a strategically placed bandaid really helps. I need it for my pinkie and/or ring finger though, those are the ones that I use for pulling.

Quote from: rybett
For bangs, can you do a couple of rows in the front and band them forward, then trim?  Working on :muffin: Pony at the mo.

Yep, although you probably have to do a full forehead of plugs and bend some of them forward, some backward in order to avoid bald splotches. Start with the few horizontal rows for the fringe and see what it'll look like when you bend the hair forward, then add more plugs in between the mane and the fringe if needed. I also noticed that it's better to root with longer hair, bend it and use clothing iron or something hot to set it (leaving it secured with a rubber band overnight helps, too) and trim it only when it stays flat, otherwise it'll spring up again after a while.

I've only tried rehairing with the needle and thread method on a G2... broke everyone of my needles and the mane isn't even 1/4 done! I also managed to make the hair rather thin and knotty, and messy enough on the inside to make it difficult to see where to put the needle.. :( Did I mention I split the plastic inbetween plugs too?  :drunk:   

I'm sorry to hear that... G2s seem to be tough, the plastic is so hard compared to other generations. I haven't tried rehairing or even prepping one yet, I'm kind of intimidated. :D Did you widen the plug holes with something before inserting the needle? I have never broken a needle using that method... What size do you use? And are you inserting the needle from the outside or inside? Because I think there are actually a few methods that are referred to as the needle & thread method... This is the one I use, similar to the wire method except that the wire is replaced with thread, or dental floss as in the tutorial.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
Used a thumb-tack pin to widen the holes, and I'm not sure what size they were exactly, sowing needles I guess. I was threading the hair through the needle hole and pushing it through the plug from the inside, then pulling the needle out through the plug. Seemed to work but often the needles would break just by putting them in the holes or grabbing them with the pliers.

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
I do a combination of the tool for certain areas and a needle/knot method that's a little different than what others have mentioned.

Basically I take a 6 in doll needle, thread it with a dampened plug of hair leaving about a 2-3 inch tail through the head of the needle.  Then, I go through from the outside in, pull the tail of the plug through neck hole, knot the hair, and then pull back into place.  Saves time as I don't have to prep plugs of hair before knotting, completely eliminates the wire, and I've never had it leave a crimp in the hair like the wire method can.

For adding in new plugs, I use the pointy end of a seam ripper (since it has a nice handle) before using the tool, or if I'm using the doll hairing needle, I just stab it in there with the hair already threaded since I can see where I'm putting it really well.  If there isn't a hole already there I might need to use pliers to pull the need through past the eye, but not that often.

For securing, I don't really need to if all of the plugs are knotted, but I do anyway.  I just squirt some hot glue in there from a glue gun and mash it into the knots with a cheapy bamboo skewer.

Post Merge: April 13, 2012, 08:44:43 AM

i just shove the pushpins where i want them and leave them in till i rehair... which is usually more than a few days.  they dont close up after that.   designs.... well it depends what i am doing, and what i am looking for.  Sometimes i'll add a third row, or just widen the holes by wiggling the pins around and put more in each plug, or give bangs... I have failed at bangs so far though... :< 

I use a weaving method to actually hair them... I just shove a plastic dental floss threader through the hole, the loop of the hair through that, pull with tweezers, and let a loop through. I then pull the next loop through the last and tighten the previous plug.  At the end i make a large knot after pulling it through.  No glue, no mess, and none of the hair has ever come out! ^__^  It also takes me very little time.  maybe 2 hours tops...

I have tried the rehairing tool... and i fail big!  I got about 6 plugs done in the same amount of time and then they got snagged on the tool and came out T___T  maybe that's just me.... I also stabbed myself a couple times and bled... which is saying something because i use an exacto almost every day and have never once cut myself.  *knocks on wood*

BTW, I would love to see a youtube tutorial or something on how you do this!! 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:44:43 AM by Lavender_Lace »

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »
When altering the hairline to be round, I understand making the semicircle from ear to ear, but do you add anything to the big open spaces you have just made?

Would anyone be willing to draw some alternate hairline hole guides so it's easier to look at it and see where to add the holes in general?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal