collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Styles and methods for re-rooting hair & different plug arrangements?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Styles and methods for re-rooting hair & different plug arrangements?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »

I can't tell if it's because my homemade tool is completely awful, or if I'm not using enough hair in the plug? Or do you just stick it all in and rely on the glue to hold it all in place?

Yep!  The glue is the key.  I often stop about every 1/3 of the mane to apply glue.  Are you using Dollyhair?  If so, it sort of sorts itselfs into good plug sizes most of the time.  Or you can look at a factory MLP to get an idea of the plug size.  For glue I use Fabri-tac (in the sewing area at Walmart or a craft store)  It's thick and clear and dries quickly.  I squeeze about a pea size amount (maybe a tad more) into the pony head and then use a tool or finger to really mash the glue in.  (Note, the other hand should hold the hair outside firmly to prevent it from getting pulled in the head by gluey finger.) 

I used to use the Needle and wire method and it works quite well.  I switch to the rehairing tool because its faster and fun.  You have to find what works for you, and trying different methods helps you find the right one!

PrincessKnight

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
Ah, brilliant. Thanks Colorscape!

Re-rooting is beginning to look a lot less daunting now :)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »
I reroot using the tool. I make them myself (and sell them ;) ) I haven't had any problems with the hair pulling out easily. If this is the case, I suggest using a tiny bit more hair. I can reroot a full mane, and even brush it gently and have the hair hold firm enough. But it is never good to just leave it like that. I glue the inside when I am completely done.

For plugs, I use about half of what the hair naturally separates into (the Dolly Hair).

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
You do need glue with the reroot tool method, but if you use the right amount of hair the plugs will stay put while you are working. I mean while I'm haring I'm able to pick the pony up by the hair and play around with hairstyle ideas and everything before I've glued the hair and none of the hair comes out. So you may need to use a little bit more hair.

hikari_amaya

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
I use a homemade rehair tool. I push the hair in then glue. Ive tried the knot style and i kept messing up :( I found the push and glue style on youtube watching the tutorials. :) I plan on remaining a restore that i was nervious about remaning :)

MrsDavis

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »
Awesome tips everyone, and thanks soooo much!

I figured that adding a row across the forehead was going to be the best way to achieve bangs, but now I'm all nervous about splitting the plastic! Lol. >_<

Instead of using wire, has anyone ever used a large needle threader to pull the hair through?

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
i root most hair with the tool, but the acetate hair i believe or something sold on dh that is more brittle, i had to use the wire method. not sure which tutorial i got that from, but it's basically take a 24g craft wire, fold in half, widen hole with a push pin then push the wire thru from the top. pull it out of the neck and take a knotted plug o hair, put the knot thru the loop of wire and pull it thru the head. no glueing and very secure so i like to use it on ponies that will be played with, but much more time consuming so i charge more for it when commissioned for a rehair.

pushpins are great for creating new holes for bangs and super thick manes. and glueing dosn't have to be messy. i load my brush up with modpodge and then hold the head by the mane, with the area between my thumb and forefinger protecting the hair. i then just brush the loops with glue. i prolly use too much glue... lol. but if anyone rips a part my custom to remove the hair i'd be real sad anyway
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
@hlpmlp: Great tips, thanks! I'm pretty curious about the dental floss method - it sounds complicated but being able to finish in 2 hours is pretty impressive. I'll have to give it a try.

Thats a shame about the bangs though :(, anyone on the forum got tips for doing bangs?
It's actually a tool used to get floss in between braces.  It is a piece of thin plastic that is fused together at each end creating a noose like thing... kinda like a big flexible needle, without the pointy.  I'd give a pic but my cam is broke.

Post Merge: March 11, 2012, 06:24:10 PM

oo yea google!!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:24:10 PM by hlbmlp »
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

PrincessKnight

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 06:01:25 AM »
Started rehairing today with my DIY reroot tool and I've gotta say - its SO much easier than I was anticipating. Thanks again for all the tips, folks! :D

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »
I use the Tool as well...I usually add 2-3 plugs of hair to one plug on the pony (one at a time) to make it thicker)
I've added an additional row of plugs before too
usually I just push the tool's needle through, sometimes I use a safetypin (bigger than the needle - one that's 1.5 inches long) to widen or create holes)
also, I've done one where I added LOTS of plugs

DeviantArt Etsy

PrincessKnight

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
Thats an impressive head of hair! Heheh.

mana-maiden

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

When making your own hair line for a custom with additional plugs, something to consider is how you want the hair to lay. If you have bangs hanging down in front or down the sides of the front of the scalp, I tend to do a V-shape around the original line of plugs.
Then when I want a full-looking line of hair across the forehead, I do a half circle shape across the front. With this method, I usually have to make more additional plugs behind the ears, and have them go down in a V-shape and meet back with the original hair line at the bottom of the mane.

In this example of a work in progress, the blue-haired work in progress customs have the V-shape, and the red/yellow ones have the half circle.

As for re-hair methods, I switch back and forth between both. They both have their advantages, and disadvantages. Advantage to the wire-threading method is the glue secures the plugs when you pre-knot the plugs.

Down side, it's easy to accidentally make the plugs too thick, causing pain and problems when pulling the plugs through the scalp. It also takes an additional number of hours to pre-knot the plugs, and customs take lots of time to create, as is.

Advantages for re-hair tool method I've found, is it makes me control the size of the plugs. It's faster, less hassle as long as I figure out the proper size of needle for each job.

Disadvantages I've come across, really, is that I have to double the length of hair for each plug since you're suppose to fit the plug over the tong of the needle at mid-length.

So spend more time re-hairing and use less hair, or spend less time on the process and use more hair.

Win-win, give take sort of thing.

reyl

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
I did my first re-hair with thumbtack and wire method and it was very fiddly. I knotted at the end of the strand, instead of the middle, and it made the inside of the pony really messy. I also had a tendency to accidentally pull through some of those end bits  with the next plug, which meant short ugly bits sticking out that needed to be trimmed or pushed back in.

I'm doing my second rehair now, with the needle-and-floss method. I'm using Dollyhair this time, and it really does separate into nice plug sized pieces. I'm knotting in the middle of the strand and so far it is fast and tidy. I'm not sure if it'll even need glue. Liking this method so far!

I will probably get a tool at some point and try that, though I'm not sure I like the idea of putting more glue in the pony's head. Getting it all out the first time was such a pain!

I hope you're first customs are going well :) Make sure you post updates :D

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Seems I need a bandaid or medical tape in my left index finger.  I keep scuffing it.  For bangs, can you do a couple of rows in the front and band them forward, then trim?  Working on :muffin: Pony at the mo.   
:socks:   :frog:

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 02:21:09 AM »
I've only tried rehairing with the needle and thread method on a G2... broke everyone of my needles and the mane isn't even 1/4 done! I also managed to make the hair rather thin and knotty, and messy enough on the inside to make it difficult to see where to put the needle.. :( Did I mention I split the plastic inbetween plugs too?  :drunk: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal