collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saving money tips?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
Re: Saving money tips?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
Like avenue1984 said, avoid credit cards. If you have to borrow money from someone for something, you don't need it.

On the flip side, if you know you can pay your credit cards off in full (and on time, obviously), using one with a rewards plan (especially a cash back rewards plan) for everyday purchases does give you some extra savings (especially if it's one that does the rewards in one or two lump sums/year).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
I don't know if it is what the OP meant, but I would like to know how to have more money for my hobbies. Like household tips to spend less money on the necessaries so there is more money for the fun things.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
I think I see what you're saying. First- cull items you think are "necessities"...

Try this- instead of buying less of something or buying generic, try instead to completely eliminate the "need" for it at all. I used to indulge in drinking pop, then one day realized it was unhealthy and unnecessary. Now I only drink water that comes free out of the tap. During weekly grocery trips I stopped buying a case of pop to keep in the fridge, so maybe that only saved me $5 each week, but with 52 weeks in a year that's $260 dollars I can now spend on ponies. Again, I didn't exactly set out to SAVE money, but to STOP SPENDING money. Thankfully the end result is the same- more money in my pocket.

Do you eat food? Do your dishes get dirty? How do you wash them? I don't have a dishwasher, so I use a bristle scrub thing. I used to use them until the bristle got all bent and grotty then throw them away. I didn't like the constant addition to the landfill so now when I bleach clean my sink every now and then, I soak the scrubber. The bristles stay clean and sanitary, and I haven't bought a new one for a couple years now... the bristles still get bent from heavy scrubbing but who cares? The dishes still get clean and I don't think my house guests are judging me based on bristle unbentness. Amount not spend after one year: $10 (not much, but still at least one pony's worth!)

If you buy kitchen sponge pads for general cleaning cut them in half before using them. They'll immediately last twice as long, AND they can be laundered, people! A four pack could last years! Amount not spent after one year: $20 (or five nice G3s!)

Start thinking this way and soon you'll be on a full scale audit of the way you manage your daily doings AND your finances!

I don't know if it is what the OP meant, but I would like to know how to have more money for my hobbies. Like household tips to spend less money on the necessaries so there is more money for the fun things.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »
Like avenue1984 said, avoid credit cards. If you have to borrow money from someone for something, you don't need it.

On the flip side, if you know you can pay your credit cards off in full (and on time, obviously), using one with a rewards plan (especially a cash back rewards plan) for everyday purchases does give you some extra savings (especially if it's one that does the rewards in one or two lump sums/year).

Yes your right! I no longer have the ones that don't have anything like this. But I do still have one that has the rewards thing on it. Got some money back from my vacation. But I paid off all that was charged when I got back home. 

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
I don't have my PayPal linked to a credit card...only to a chequing account. I consider 1/3 of the money in PayPal as not existing at all, since it's money just for shipping expenses, so if I have $100 in PayPal, i see only $70 as money I can spend. It's a little annoying since I have to wait 3-5 business days for money to transfer from PP to the chequing, but it really limits what I buy to things I really, REALLY want!

Oh! And for saving money around the house...I bought a Bissel Steam Shot. It uses high pressure steam to clean and sanitize, it does an exceptional job of blasting crud from cracks and I don't use all kinds of different cleaning supplies and chemicals anymore! I also have athsma, so no chems helps with that, too :)
I also use vinegar for just about everything that needs cleaning and shining. It works wonders on calcium and lime build-up from the hard water, and I don't need CLR or other toxic crap! I can use it for my animals' cages and not have to worry about leaving poisonous residues behind. I shop for many things at the Dollar Store, and when I buy things I compare unit prices. If there's a container of 4 cupcakes for $2, each cupcake is 50 cents...would I buy one for for that price? It also comes in handy because more things doesn't necessarily mean a better price. I found that sometimes buying two containers of things can be less expensive than buying one container that has more in it!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:23:50 AM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »
I also use vinegar for just about everything that needs cleaning and shining. It works wonders on calcium and lime build-up from the hard water, and I don't need CLR or other toxic crap! I can use it for my animals' cages and not have to worry about leaving poisonous residues behind.
I second the vinegar. Also, most of the chemicals and cosmetics have natural replacement. For example: http://youtu.be/RlVd9LUKa-0
Internet is full of DIY tutorials which can save you lots money and even be a more healthy option too :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal