collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 467660 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #1845 on: August 08, 2019, 01:53:16 AM »
I can't stand people who look down on others based on their personal preferences, like choosing dogs over cats, or debit cards over credit cards, or coffee over some special exotic tea etc. Is it really this hard to respect that different people prefer different things?

This so much! I had a coworker at my former job who talked trash about teabags. A REAL tea-drinker would only buy loose tea according to her. I was flabbergasted.

Hope you feel better soon, Beldarna!

On this note, it reminded me of when I was learning Japanese. Or rather, no. After I was pretty ok with my Japanese but on a forum where people were talking about learning it.

And there were a few people getting all high and mighty and saying that watching anime couldn't possibly be part of learning Japanese and that it was silly and childish and had no place in proper academic studies.

Of course that's really narrow minded. It's been proven that you are much more likely to learn something if you are interested in it. Yeah, you can't learn Japanese from watching anime, but you can use it as listening practice and it can spur you on to find out words and such.

The first Japanese words I learned came from Fushigi Yuugi...I think probably 'shashin' was one of them, as Miaka has this whole scene where she's explaining what a camera is to the seishi, and every time she said shashin, the word photograph appeared on the screen, so it became obvious that was what that word meant.

My way of learning Japanese was entirely unorthodox and I wouldn't recommend it. I absolutely think you need to properly study the language as well (which I did, through the JLPT at first) - BUT I wouldn't ever tell anyone watching anime has no benefit to learning Japanese if it's interesting to them.

When I worked at the college, there were kids who barely ever read anything who would read manga (in English obviously). These were kids that struggled with English in school, and there was, again, this stuck up view that manga and comics were 'not proper reading'. But I felt like, if they're reading something and doing it voluntarily it can't hurt them, surely? Reading helps you build your vocabulary and your spelling no matter what language it's in.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 08, 2019, 05:03:58 AM »
I can't stand people who look down on others based on their personal preferences, like choosing dogs over cats, or debit cards over credit cards, or coffee over some special exotic tea etc. Is it really this hard to respect that different people prefer different things?

This so much! I had a coworker at my former job who talked trash about teabags. A REAL tea-drinker would only buy loose tea according to her. I was flabbergasted.

The first Japanese words I learned came from Fushigi Yuugi...I think probably 'shashin' was one of them, as Miaka has this whole scene where she's explaining what a camera is to the seishi, and every time she said shashin, the word photograph appeared on the screen, so it became obvious that was what that word meant.

This is exactly how I learned the words dragon and yes in Japanese from the Yona ovas.  :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 08, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »

This is exactly how I learned the words dragon and yes in Japanese from the Yona ovas.  :)

Ponyfan

Exactly!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: August 08, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »

Hope you feel better soon, Beldarna!

On this note, it reminded me of when I was learning Japanese. Or rather, no. After I was pretty ok with my Japanese but on a forum where people were talking about learning it.

And there were a few people getting all high and mighty and saying that watching anime couldn't possibly be part of learning Japanese and that it was silly and childish and had no place in proper academic studies.

Of course that's really narrow minded. It's been proven that you are much more likely to learn something if you are interested in it. Yeah, you can't learn Japanese from watching anime, but you can use it as listening practice and it can spur you on to find out words and such.

My way of learning Japanese was entirely unorthodox and I wouldn't recommend it. I absolutely think you need to properly study the language as well (which I did, through the JLPT at first) - BUT I wouldn't ever tell anyone watching anime has no benefit to learning Japanese if it's interesting to them.

When I worked at the college, there were kids who barely ever read anything who would read manga (in English obviously). These were kids that struggled with English in school, and there was, again, this stuck up view that manga and comics were 'not proper reading'. But I felt like, if they're reading something and doing it voluntarily it can't hurt them, surely? Reading helps you build your vocabulary and your spelling no matter what language it's in.

I had a college professor ask why we had gotten into acting (I was a theatre major).  My answer was that I was so shy in high school that I wouldn't answer questions in class so I thought acting would help me get out of my shell.  She told me that wasn't a reason to get into acting.  Um...I actually answered her question in class, didn't I?  I would say it worked.  (Of course, this was the professor that wanted perform "Equus" because it had nudity and not for any other reason so...yeah.)

My trivial complaint is how video games get blamed for all bad behavior on the planet (even when the person with the bad behavior doesn't play video games), when 5 minutes on social media causes more mood swings, rage, depression and anger than any video game I've ever seen in my life. :dumbpc: 

Edit to add: They've assigned us new shifts at work and I don't understand why the part-timers (who only work 16 hours a week) still can't work the hours they're assigned.  They have to rearrange the schedule again because the whiniest (and most useless) part timer we have "can't" work one of the nights (even though her other job is substitute teaching during the daytime so she can't work during the days either).  I'm sorry that taking 4 whole hours out of your day to come to your job is so inconvenient.  I wish she'd quit and save the rest of us the headache of putting up with her.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:55:22 AM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #1849 on: August 09, 2019, 11:09:33 PM »
Thank you Taffeta, it is a lot better today :).

Anime taught me quite a lot of japanese words and frases. I've never been one of those that need to learn japanese though and since I haven't watched anime for a number of years a lot has gone away. But one should never underestimate the power of tv-shows when it comes to languages. Fun Factory in the mornings on Sky One was what tought me English as a kid :).

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: August 10, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
Seriously, this is the world upside down. -_-

On a local news site I read that a group of people planted flowers in different spots in a village nearby. Nobody knew where they came from, but today it was revealed that it was done by a group of people who wanted to raise awareness for the massive bee-mortality that has been going on lately. That's awesome!

However, I wish the authorities would feel the same... In the news article it says that these people will be expected to pay for the "damage". "Damage" caused by planting flowers between stones and in FIELDS. FIELDS I tell you!!! How exactly is that DAMAGE!? *shakes fist*

I can't even. :|

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: August 11, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »
The other day, I overheard a couple of kids (maybe 10 or 11) as I walked by them... They were arguing about politics. -_- Seriously, these kids were engaged in a heated debate about politics.

When I was that age, I argued with my friends about whether Pokemon was better than Yu-Gi-Oh!, or who had called dibs on something first... What is this world coming to? Political division can’t even wait until these kids are old enough to vote? It makes me feel like crying, seriously. :(

I think the whole world—regardless of individual political alignments—just needs to be more tolerant of each other. As the saying goes: “We don’t have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.”
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1852 on: August 11, 2019, 06:46:55 AM »
Meh. Some political ideals are harmful though. Harmful views shouldn't be tolerated.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 11, 2019, 06:58:40 AM »
My trivial complaint is how video games get blamed for all bad behavior on the planet (even when the person with the bad behavior doesn't play video games), when 5 minutes on social media causes more mood swings, rage, depression and anger than any video game I've ever seen in my life. :dumbpc: 

SO. MUCH. THIS. :iconclap:

Seriously... I don’t think I’ve ever come away from social media without feeling irritated, at best. That’s why I ignore it now. XP

Meh. Some political ideals are harmful though. Harmful views shouldn't be tolerated.

Of course not. I’m part of the LGBTQ+ community, so I’m very aware of how dangerous some political “ideals” can be.

BUT, I’m talking more about the gross generalizations that are flying around now. The “us” and “them” mentality, if you will. Not everyone in a huge political party that you (not YOU, specifically—I’m saying this in general) side with is a saint, and not everyone on the other side of the aisle is a monster. People are more complicated than that. And even when we disagree with others, it’s important to be calm and handle the disagreement with dignity. Throwing more hate and anger on the fire just makes the world an even bigger mess than it already is.

And kids shouldn’t be getting dragged into it by the constant political bombardment around them... period. Kids should be kids. There will be plenty of time for them to be grouchy, unhappy adults caught in a quagmire of negativity later in life. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: August 11, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
Kids are so involved in politics these days though, as the impact on them is tremendous. As a kid of ten or eleven I knew what was going on in the UK politically. I don't say I was having debates about it, though, and my interests were more with my ponies or writing stories or reading as many books as I could before the summer holiday ended...but I knew a fair bit. I think that's the age you become aware of the wider world.

On that same note, I read a news article today which was you know, just a news article. And then made the mistake of looking at the comments underneath.

Oh dear.

If printed it would probably go to several hundred pages...of vitriolic abuse (some of it quite offensive) between (mostly) pro-leave and (some) remainers. All of whom making the human race look disgusting and the United Kingdom like a toxic blot on the map.

Which is honestly how I've come to see my country in the last 3 years, since neither side seem to be acting in the interests of anyone but themselves.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:33:42 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: August 11, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
Kids are so involved in politics these days though, as the impact on them is tremendous. As a kid of ten or eleven I knew what was going on in the UK politically. I don't say I was having debates about it, though, and my interests were more with my ponies or writing stories or reading as many books as I could before the summer holiday ended...but I knew a fair bit. I think that's the age you become aware of the wider world.

On that same note, I read a news article today which was you know, just a news article.

Oh, I had a cursory understanding of politics at that age... but I mostly just tried to ignore it all. It was big, it was complicated, it was scary... and it was definitely not something I wanted to get into with my friends. >_<;

And then made the mistake of looking at the comments underneath.

Oh dear.

If printed it would probably go to several hundred pages...of vitriolic abuse (some of it quite offensive) between (mostly) pro-leave and (some) remainers. All of whom making the human race look disgusting and the United Kingdom like a toxic blot on the map.

Which is honestly how I've come to see my country in the last 3 years, since neither side seem to be acting in the interests of anyone but themselves.

I know exactly what you mean. :( Don’t feel like it’s just in the UK, though... I’ve been feeling very similarly: like I just want to pack up and move to... some less politically-charged country. That theoretically exists... somewhere.

In the U.S, things are just as tense, and people are just as awful in comments, BELIEVE ME. I fight the temptation to scroll down to the comments every day... even though I know what I’m going to see.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: August 11, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »

I know exactly what you mean. :( Don’t feel like it’s just in the UK, though... I’ve been feeling very similarly: like I just want to pack up and move to... some less politically-charged country. That theoretically exists... somewhere.

Let's find us a deserted island and set up camp.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: August 11, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »

I’m in! :D Just as long as we can bring ponies.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 11, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »

I’m in! :D Just as long as we can bring ponies.

Ponies are always welcome.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: August 11, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
That's why I stay as far away as I can from politics of any kind.
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal