collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Princess Twilight Sparkle "Adult Collectible"???  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Twilight Sparkle "Adult Collectible"???
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
I do wonder how big the run of these is- it might be pretty small if the only place you can buy it is on hasbrotoyshop.   I wonder if it will sell out or go clearance?  Does hasbrotoyshop ever have clearance items ?

Offline LunarEclipse

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
I am really bummed out and disappointed at Hasbro. How hard is it to take a poll to see what we'd actually want to buy? It's more blatant than ever how little they care about collectors and how much they care about bronies.

Ah, and with this comment I think it's more blatant than ever how much hate gets thrown at bronies even when it's completely undeserved and makes no logical sense. I don't want to be rude (I truly, honestly don't like to be), but if you think this is an attempt to cater to bronies, you're just as out of touch as Hasbro is.

Frankly, Hasbro has done a poor job giving either group (traditional collectors and bronies) what they want, but I don't think it's either groups fault. We're not their target market, perhaps they simply have trouble seeing things from our perspective. Sometimes I believe Hasbro really does try, and they don't always fail, but when they do this is the result. To me, it just seems more lazy than anything. I mean, why bother coming up with something creative and original when you can just throw some glitter and junk on a pre-existing character? It DOES look like something aimed at children and is a sad attempt, widely missing it's mark of the adult market. Collector's want a wide selection of characters, bronies want a wide selection of characters from the FIM show, both want quality... this doesn't hit any of that.

Clearly they didn't do their research, but this isn't the first time hasbro has done something odd and if it doesn't sell well, I'm certain they'll come up with something else (possibly just as inconceivably ridiculous, but we can always hope). In the meantime, I'll just be glad my wallet is safe as this isn't something I want in the least.

I'm not "throwing hate," I'm stating fact.

You really, honestly think bronies aren't being catered to? Why do you think that DJ Pon-3 exclusive was made? It surely wasn't for collectors. Why do you think last year's Comic Con exclusive was made? It wasn't for collectors. Same goes for the fan favorites collections, especially this year's that has background characters that bronies have made a fuss over. Let's not forget the heaps and heaps of merchandise with the word "Brony" on it. If Hasbro didn't pay attention to bronies and what they want, they wouldn't make the stuff, nor would they allow licensees to. There has NEVER been this much merchandise aimed at collectors.

Most collectors could care less about show accuracy because they know full well that most of these toys are intended for children. I just would like items with a little more thought put into them. Bronies and collectors are NOT always looking for the same thing in what they would like to buy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want to trade art for ponies? || art tag on Tumblr || G1 want list || G4 want list || Vintage LPS want list

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I am really bummed out and disappointed at Hasbro. How hard is it to take a poll to see what we'd actually want to buy? It's more blatant than ever how little they care about collectors and how much they care about bronies.

Ah, and with this comment I think it's more blatant than ever how much hate gets thrown at bronies even when it's completely undeserved and makes no logical sense. I don't want to be rude (I truly, honestly don't like to be), but if you think this is an attempt to cater to bronies, you're just as out of touch as Hasbro is.

Frankly, Hasbro has done a poor job giving either group (traditional collectors and bronies) what they want, but I don't think it's either groups fault. We're not their target market, perhaps they simply have trouble seeing things from our perspective. Sometimes I believe Hasbro really does try, and they don't always fail, but when they do this is the result. To me, it just seems more lazy than anything. I mean, why bother coming up with something creative and original when you can just throw some glitter and junk on a pre-existing character? It DOES look like something aimed at children and is a sad attempt, widely missing it's mark of the adult market. Collector's want a wide selection of characters, bronies want a wide selection of characters from the FIM show, both want quality... this doesn't hit any of that.

Clearly they didn't do their research, but this isn't the first time hasbro has done something odd and if it doesn't sell well, I'm certain they'll come up with something else (possibly just as inconceivably ridiculous, but we can always hope). In the meantime, I'll just be glad my wallet is safe as this isn't something I want in the least.
I'm not "throwing hate," I'm stating fact.

I'm curious though- how is the bedazzled Twilight evidence of pandering to bronies?  Weren't you just saying that this pony makes it more "blatant" than ever that Hasbro panders to Bronies?

I think this poor tacky dear (which I actually kinda like for her tackiness) is not evidence of pandering to bronies or G1 or G3 or G2 collectors either.  It is evidence that Hasbro isn't really paying attention to what anyone wants.  They just attacked Twilight with a bedazzler so they could charge $50 for her in the name of exclusivity.   

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
*sigh*

See the red text? You know what that means...it means hathorcat is too sleepy to be bothered to babysit a brony v collector argument. And she is also now worryingly talking about herself in the third person...see what this does to me!

I know we are not there yet but before we reach it, can we nudge this back on topic or at least a little less heading for an argument? And if we are going to throw anything...lets collectively throw things at Hasbro rather than one another?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
Quote from: Galactica
I think this poor tacky dear (which I actually kinda like for her tackiness) is not evidence of pandering to bronies or G1 or G3 or G2 collectors either.  It is evidence that Hasbro isn't really paying attention to what anyone wants.  They just attacked Twilight with a bedazzler so they could charge $50 for her in the name of exclusivity.   

Haha, this exactly. Twilight looks more like a craft project than anything else.
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Quote from: Galactica

Haha, this exactly. Twilight looks more like a craft project than anything else.

One by a young kid with questionable tastes...  Seriously- why does it make sense to have gems on her WINGS? I mean her hair, sure- but her wings?  Not even Rarity would do something that tacky.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
Do you know Dragonflitter, I actually agree.

The problem with their 2 previous attempts is that one was poorly made [but then again we gave them a $5 per item budget] and the second did not sell in the mass market quantities that they wanted. However, where Hasbro and perhaps we as collectors miss the point is that we are a very very small collecting community. In comparison to the GI Joe and TF collectors, we are but a blip for Hasbro. Hence the reason the previous attempts at "adult collectables" were perhaps a bit of a flop - there are not enough of us.

Therefore as much as I cry "fail" with everyone else - perhaps this is simply a financially safe bet - cause they know there are pony fans of all ages right now and therefore even if old school collectors like us dont buy her perhaps a younger audience will be interested in a special release?

Ah, but the parents won't be interested at that price point.  And if you show both kids and parents this pony and the huge walking talking one for the same price, who do you think they will choose?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »

The problem with their 2 previous attempts is that one was poorly made [but then again we gave them a $5 per item budget] and the second did not sell in the mass market quantities that they wanted. However, where Hasbro and perhaps we as collectors miss the point is that we are a very very small collecting community. In comparison to the GI Joe and TF collectors, we are but a blip for Hasbro. Hence the reason the previous attempts at "adult collectables" were perhaps a bit of a flop - there are not enough of us.

Therefore as much as I cry "fail" with everyone else - perhaps this is simply a financially safe bet - cause they know there are pony fans of all ages right now and therefore even if old school collectors like us dont buy her perhaps a younger audience will be interested in a special release?

Ah, but the parents won't be interested at that price point.  And if you show both kids and parents this pony and the huge walking talking one for the same price, who do you think they will choose?

Now thats a good point. I guess they truly have no market for her then! I completely forgot her price point.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »

Personally, I choose this one. Two reasons: Its quiet and it doesn't move.
Toys that talk or do any kinda movements or make noise is defiantly a deal breaker for me  >_< they scare me  :blink:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
This is..... something else. XD I don't know what to say, I'm completely gobsmacked. I mean, the only good thing??? Her accurate wing shape. That's it... A fashion style with accurately sized and shaped wings. Hum. I mean.. heavens!!! Hasbro must be spending a FORTUNE on crystals.... Maybe when they're trying to recoup their losses and wondering what to do with all the unsold stock... then they'll stop!  I mean... this is nuts. Two viciously bedazzled ponies... and by doing it with super expensive gems, they call it adult. Why? Bronies don't want it, collectors don't want it... and jeeze, all that glitter!!! It's not sealed like the glittery winged ponies it looks like, so it will be a super mess!! Glitter everywhere! Plus... fancy boxes don't mean a thing, because most people want to touch and hold the ponies! I know I do!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
@LunarEclipse

Things me myself a "brony" and collectors have in common.

1) Both want quality items

2) Both want more characters

3) Both do NOT want the same ponies released over again

4) Would like to see G1 ponies released in G4 bodies

5) Both want more poses

6) Both want more variety

7) Both want to be heard and acknowledged by hasbro

8) Lastly both do NOT want this Twilight

Side note why are the crystals red, it looks so tacky and awful. My saddest fear about this release is it will make hasbro not want to attempt to make more of a better adult collector line :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:46:55 PM by Brony Galore »

For Sale Wants

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
This is..... something else. XD I don't know what to say, I'm completely gobsmacked. I mean, the only good thing??? Her accurate wing shape. That's it... A fashion style with accurately sized and shaped wings. Hum. I mean.. heavens!!! Hasbro must be spending a FORTUNE on crystals.... Maybe when they're trying to recoup their losses and wondering what to do with all the unsold stock... then they'll stop!  I mean... this is nuts. Two viciously bedazzled ponies... and by doing it with super expensive gems, they call it adult. Why? Bronies don't want it, collectors don't want it... and jeeze, all that glitter!!! It's not sealed like the glittery winged ponies it looks like, so it will be a super mess!! Glitter everywhere! Plus... fancy boxes don't mean a thing, because most people want to touch and hold the ponies! I know I do!
I want her... do I count? :I  :lol:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

mayeflower

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »
I love her!

Offline tiggerkitn25

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+186)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »
Hathorcat, I'll join you in throwing things at Hasbro.  This is a total FAIL for everyone. 

My daughter wants it, she's six.  I can't stand it.  I will not be buying a $50 pony for my six year old.  I thought it was Cadance for a minute because of the very PINK body.  Why can't they get the star of the show's colors right?  Ridiculous.

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal