collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do you feel about blind bags/boxes?

Love them!
0 (0%)
Hate them!
7 (50%)
Depends on the item
5 (35.7%)
Depends on the odds on the figures
2 (14.3%)
No strong feelings either way
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Blind Bags/Boxes! Love them or Loathe them??  (Read 709 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Blind Bags/Boxes! Love them or Loathe them??
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:34:32 PM »
How do you feel about blind bags/boxes? This can be from any franchise and from any maker, like Mystery Minis, Kwystal Fwends, etc.

I personally don't like them. In any collection, there's always just 1-2 figures I want, and I hate paying for a figure I don't want and I'm not going to keep. I'd rather just pay for the one I want directly. I used to love Puppy in my Pocket as a kid, and I can't tell you how many times I'd be excited by the mystery, only to be annoyed i got YET ANOTHER Airdale Terrier when I wanted Santa the Huskey  :mad:

What about you??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Bags/Boxes! Love them or Loathe them??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 01:00:46 PM »
Unless there's an easy way to cheat, they usually suck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 01:07:41 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 02:10:32 PM »
The last blind box I bought was for a mini Squishmallow. I got the orange cat Gigi, which is the one I wanted. I'm never buying another blind box/bag again. I used up all my luck on Gigi :P

Nah, but really, I don't care for them. I like to be able to choose what I want.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 02:22:46 PM »
I do not like surprises and am very particular about what I buy, so I do not like blind packaged items at all. I'm thankful when there's something I want and it has codes imprinted on the package or color codes.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 09:35:39 AM »
I do not like them and will only buy one if I like all of the possible figures inside.  But after that, I don't want a double.  They're probably ok for people who like to sell on ebay or trade but, it's a lot of trouble.

When my neice was little, she loved them and it was fun to spend time with her that way.  I am glad we have other hobbies to share now.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 11:41:12 AM »
I hate how common they're becoming! And especially how dang EXPENSIVE they are these days.

IMO blind bags should be pocket money toys. Anything over £5-6 is ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the current trend of blind-packaged FULL PRICE dolls!!! If I'm paying over a tenner for something, I wanna know what I'm buying. (What really annoys me is the blind-packaging trend extending to non-surprise toys... like the fursuit Barbies and Skultimate Secret Monster High series. sure you know which character you're getting, but for that price I'd really like to actually see her first, instead of just going off an illustration or stock photo and hoping she looks that good in person...)

I also think if they _have_ to exist, they should be *in addition* to the main toyline. Drives me nuts when the ENTIRE toy line is blind-packaged and there's no guaranteed ones to even get started with. If that makes sense.

I like a lot of blind bag series but I hate the blind aspect of them x) I try to just stick to the ones that have codes or can otherwise be identified before buying. I usually only want one or two specific characters too. If there's no code/window then I've got to reeeeeeally like the figures before I try for one.

my least favourite are the blind bags that have plastic/cardboard/etc wrapped around the figure, so you can't even try and feel up the bag and ID them that way >( There's no reason to do that other than to actively screw over customers, I hate it. At least give us a sporting chance at trying to get the right one, you know?

That said, it is fun to get a surprise sometimes. I miss the Shopkins Happy Places blind boxes - don't think those had codes, but they were nice and cheap, and I didn't mind so much getting doubles with them since they were tiny little objects - I use them as doll props. :B Easier to justify getting a second (say) tiny toothbrush than a seventh copy of the same character. Same with Zuru Mini Brands, though man those have gotten SO expensive since they first started.

I liked how Micro Toy Box did it, too. They released the first series a few different ways (not sure how they did series 2, that didn't come out over here.. dunno if it'll come over later)... I think it was something like 20 pack, 6 pack, 5 pack. But ALL of them had at least one toy shown plainly. I wish Zuru would do that too :p It's easier to justify when you know you're guaranteed at least one that you like/haven't got.

But yeah overall they're annoying and I wish the trend would die already :P

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 09:31:16 PM »
booooo hisssss no fun
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 01:49:04 PM »
I prefer to know what I'm getting beforehand. However, if I like everything, it's a little bit of fun! I'd rather not risk duplicates after getting the first, though, so I'd prefer to buy the rest online if I intend to collect multiple.

Offline Kitcatepic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 08:34:13 AM »
I prefer them when there are enough items in the set to make the chances of getting duplicates significantly lower they can be extremely nightmarish when trying to find a specific item without paying scalper prices (looking at you cats vs pickles)   
long live chrysalis

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 09:08:33 AM »
Oooh, don't even get me started on Cats vs Pickles. They were infuriating since the checklists had the ENTIRE series listed, when the blind bags were actually released in waves... so you'd have ones on the checklist that weren't actually available anywhere yet, and NOTHING indicated this was the case. I think they have finally fixed that for the recent waves (idk since they don't sell them over here any more -_-) but that really annoyed me.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 04:10:29 AM »
What I dislike is how rare they make at least one of the figures (Spike for example, still to find one). I would hope for the same chance to get all the figures. Quit teasing us!!!
Also fully with Carrehz on their affordability. Keep them below £5 please.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 01:32:22 PM »
Oh the chances, HATE them. It's always the rarest ones I want!! Or even worse; the 'exclusives' like Hot Topic exclusives. Okay, cool there's not HT in the UK, what are we supposed to do?

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 03:49:50 PM »
I hate them!  I want to know what I’m buying!  I don’t want doubles!  I hate wasting money!😆😆😆

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal