collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What if- ponies go to the dark side?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Fizzy Scrumptious

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Truly_Scumptious on the MLPTP! <3
    • View Profile
    • Pink Dreams Ponyland
Re: What if- ponies go to the dark side?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
I don't know anything about Hazbin, but I want to pop in to say that I don't think you're wrong to assume that at least some of G1's mythological references were based in Christianity. Not explicitly, of course, but when people create media their own life experiences are going to become involved with it. Mentions of heaven, paradise, demons, etc are likely to come from the creators' knowledge, who were American and likely raised in a Christian household (statistically speaking. I am not Christian and I wasn't raised in a Christian household, but I am American and most people in my area are Christian). And just because this religious knowledge is casual and mainstream, doesn't mean some of it isn't references to Christianity... I think people are coming at you too hard for that aspect of your post.

And g4's casual swap of "God" with "Celestia" is, while not necessarily Christian, an interesting religious parallel. They didn't need to write lines akin to "sweet god" or "oh my god" but they decided to parallel that real world common phrase, which originated from Christianity (according to Google), in their fantasy world. Obviously Christianity doesn't exist in MLP but in mimicking the real world, they also mimic the deep but casual influences of Christianity/religion in general.

Anyway, I don't mean to write a book in this post, but I honestly feel that adult crossovers wouldn't be the worst thing. Clearly it would be difficult to keep separate from children's MLP content on the internet, in which case there would be an issue. But MLP isn't a complete stranger to stuff like making MLP shot glasses and other nods to their adult audience. However I can't comment much on this cause I have no idea what Hazbin is :P

I do know that sometimes there are little references in adult media to popular kid's media, like a few Gravity Falls references - a family-friendly cartoon - occurring in the adult cartoon Rick and Morty. Not an explicit mashup per se but just a little nod for the adult audience of Gravity Falls who would appreciate a little reference like that, and the implication that the kid-friendly universe of GF takes place in the same universe as the darker R&M. Perhaps a nod to adult audiences without a full mashup would go over well.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: they/them :rainbow: | wishlist | art thread
thank you tailrustedtealeaf for the lovely icon and Strawberry Swirl for the left-side adoptable in my sig :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
Colorful magical ponies living in a fantasy land = fantastical creatures exist in their world. 

Fantasy mythical creatures?!  My Little Pony has always BEEN "the dark side".

ask any child who grew up with ultra-conservative religious parents who made them cut the horns off their unicorns and only bought them Earth ponies with no gimmicks.

G4 just continued the tradition of what G1 had already started, world-building wise. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
If MLP have heavy Christianity themes that is news to me. Because I sure never saw them. Especially in G4, my favorite most watched show. The only thing in that is Hearth's Warming being a replacement to Christmas and the term Crusaders being used. But those things are stripped of any religious meaning.

As for if MLP wants to be an adult show then I'm bailing. I hate "adult" things

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »
I think I would be just as horrified if “Sesame Street” went to the dark side.  My Little Pony has always been a mostly kid’s thing to me.  I may like it as an adult, but it would be sad to basically make it unviewable to children.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »
I think I would be just as horrified if “Sesame Street” went to the dark side.  My Little Pony has always been a mostly kid’s thing to me.  I may like it as an adult, but it would be sad to basically make it unviewable to children.

Well it sorta did. They had that stupid adult muppet movie and it was just beyond tacky and tasteless.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »

Well it sorta did. They had that stupid adult muppet movie and it was just beyond tacky and tasteless.

Ok then, I’m horrified.   :(
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »
D&D ponies aren't anti-christian enough?  /s

(I joke with this because my childhood friend's mom flipped out  on us for playing a "devil's game". We were playing dodgeball on a jungle gym which we had called dungeons and dragons).

But really, I agree with what Taffeta said.
well Some Christians tend to see dragons as evil and Satanic, due to The Devil being associated with a dragon...

Eh, it's way more complicated then just "a dragon". She thought we were playing the actual game, not our made up game. This is someone who never I never had heard mention religion, and didn't even go to church except maybe Christmas.

I have a religious friend who would let her daughter play with ponies, but certainly not the D&D ones.

Colorful magical ponies living in a fantasy land = fantastical creatures exist in their world. 

Fantasy mythical creatures?!  My Little Pony has always BEEN "the dark side".

ask any child who grew up with ultra-conservative religious parents who made them cut the horns off their unicorns and only bought them Earth ponies with no gimmicks.

oof. I had wondered this, but didn't have any experience that, so I didn't mention it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 02:41:01 PM »
The dark side?

I find your lack of parties disturbing.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »
You have cool ideas, OP. I'm also positive the ideas used in g1 cartoons are judeo-christian in nature. 80s cartoons (and videogames) didn't mind that sort of thing.

As for Hazbin Hotel crossover with pony, dear God I hope not. Mainly because that fandom is...well. It gives me Brony vibes.

Gee thanks. Considering I'm in both fandoms.  This is why I never look at any besides customs here anymore.  This place used to be inviting now I just feel like people are just gonna rag on stuff I enjoy.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
I was planning to do a custom pony of Lucifer   XD 

and I love dragons Im welsh !

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
I love dark fan art all ready and Hazbin hotel is freaking amazing.  Makes me want to do a custom.  I think a Helluva boss custom would be cute also.

Post Merge: August 01, 2020, 02:57:33 PM

Also why would that be unwatchable by children? People censor their kids too much I was allowed to watch pretty much anything growing up and my friend has always let her son watch stuff aimed at adults. I never cussed or was violent and I watched plenty of R rated stuff.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:57:33 PM by gemini_pony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal