collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! Again. :/ Gunk on my pony!  (Read 310 times)

~Kitti~

• Trade Count: (0)
Help! Again. :/ Gunk on my pony!
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
I'm currently trying to restore my childhood collection as best I can (or at least make them less icky), after rescuing it from my mum's attic. If there's a better forum for my restoration questions, I'd love to be directed there!

"Gunk" is the best description I have for this mess.
When I dug out poor Waterlily, she had these ugly black marks on her. I was baffled, until I dug a little further into the box, and found an old 80's style faux-leather black murder heel... With missing patches of "leather" that matched her marks. It seems like the two plastics had a fight, and Lily lost. Some can be scraped off with my fingernail, but it's really sticky & will leave marks anywhere else it touches.

What would be a safe method of getting this off without ruining her completely? Oxyclean? Acetone? Magic eraser? I also have a home-made laundry soap available (I make my own) consisting of borax, washing soda, and oxyclean, but would that be too harsh for her? I want to minimize the damage if at all possible, she was one of my favorites.  :cry:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MintyMama

Re: Help! Again. :/ Gunk on my pony!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »
I'm having great luck with this protocol -
I take off head and tail.
I soak all parts in water with OxyClean several hours.  Except tail, I dip it, but don't soak it to avoid rusting the tail head.
I scrub any scuffs left with the Magic Eraser.  Be careful with the ME cause it WILL remove the paint.
I shampoo the hair and leave all parts to dry completely.  Then I put them back together.

There hasn't been too much that won't come off that way for me.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
Oxyclean/magic eraser are great for getting marks that haven't dyed the plastic.  If the plastic has been dyed, I would recommend sun fading (cover everything up except the affected parts and leaving her in the sun for a few weeks).  It's worked miracles with a little patience.

~Kitti~

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
Update:
I tried oxyclean first, then magic eraser.
It's still there, the only difference being that it's not "scaly" looking from the plastic that stuck/melted/whatever to her, and now you can see the texture of the faux leather from the shoe in the spots. It's definitely soaked-in dye. :/

I'll start sunning her tomorrow, as the sun has already gone down here. She has some other spots (that are far less offensive) on her that may benefit from sunbathing as well. Hopefully it doesn't take months to do, but even so, it'll be worth it if she can be pretty again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal