collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone Else Not Really Like The So Softs?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anyone Else Not Really Like The So Softs?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
Nope, don't like em. I love my childhood Wind Whistler and Shady that were always smooth, would never buy the flocked versions. I have one deflocked Ribbon (she was already done when I bought her), and I like her that way. In my head as a child that's how she was anyway.

Jules x

I also imagine Ribbon that way and consider my deflock as close as is possible to the Ribbon that never got to the UK.

I like the SS ponies but I understand the gripes about condition. Also that a bunch of them are ponies that exist without flocking. As a child I was not a fan of the CJ pose, but now, that to me is Magic Star's proper pose and the SS is the odd one...

I also had Shady as a kid and I am pretty sure you can deflock a SS Shady and still not get the shade of bright pink my childhood pony is!

I am glad I grew up with the UK versions but sad we didn't get smooth versions of all the characters. \Recently a lovely person on here deflocked a grubby Twilight for me (as well as a HHippyhop and Best Wishes) and she would have been a lovely pony release that way.

And I will never forgive Hasbro for the lack of regular HK Paradise.

All that said, I think the SS ponies are still nice, though some, like Posey, really look their best moc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
Here's my childhood Twilight, all cleaned up:

WOW :shocked:
How did you get her so clean without loosing flocking?

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »
Nope, not a fan here.. their flocking is too easily ruined and it covers up their pretty colours and symbols :( I much prefer NSS or deflocks, I have a beautiful deflocked Angel and I'd love to get a deflocked Ribbon sometime.

I didn't like them as a kid and I don't like them now.  They are a horribly executed set.  It might have been alright if Hasbro had used the kind of flocking that, for example, Sylvanian Families toys have: very short, very easy to see through, and able to be wiped clean of surface dirt.

ohhhh this would have been AMAZING! SFs are about the only flocked thing I really like, if So Softs had been flocked like them I might like them better XD

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »
I for one really like them, I didn't have much interest at first until I saw Paradise, she's my absolute fave so soft, and now I deff want more of them
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »
Here's my childhood Twilight, all cleaned up:

WOW :shocked:
How did you get her so clean without loosing flocking?

I ran her under COLD water to get her wet, then sprinkled OxyClean over here and GENTLY rubbed it in. Like, barely rubbing so I didn't lose the flocking. Then rinsed with cold water. Then used shampoo and conditioner on her body. Styled her hair and let her air dry :)  I was lucky that I was really careful with the so softs as a kid as I didn't want them getting dirty, so it was just 20+ years of dust on her from being at my parents' :)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I LOVE minty ones, but I do love a good deflock as well.... I'm torn, so I try to get one of each. A minty SS just feels divine! I was 100% in the deflock camp until my lot of SS came in with minty flocking, they were a childhood collection that just weren't played with all that much, and they were sooooo fluffy, I couldn't believe it! I was actually hoping for deflock material from the grainy photos, but they turned me completely into a flocking lover!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 04:46:06 AM »
I never thought I'd get one because they didn't spark my interest when I saw them in picutres. But now that Ribbon is in my life... :cry: And I can only agree:

i used to dislike them a LOT until i actually got one. i dont like how it hides her vibrant colors, but i do love petting my scrumptious :heart:
if she wasnt so perfect and fun to pet i would consider deflocking. i know she looks so pretty under all that fur!

Although I do feel that the ponies' color's can be so much prettier when deflocked :) Especially for Ribbon and Twist.

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
I love so-softs! But in decent condition. I love how they are more pastel coloured. They are some of my favourite ponies- especially Posey, Angel and Twilight  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:09:19 AM by Rachel8125 »

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
They're ok but I don't think I'll ever have any in my collection

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »
I like them! I never had any as a kid (they weren't sold in my country), but I'm still nostalgic for the characters since they were on the cartoon and in books. Even the characters I didn't know about as a child (Scrumptious & company, and the second set) I like a lot. I guess them being flocked doesn't really have much to do with why I like them, but I'm not interested in getting deflocked versions. I feel that it takes away from what makes them unique, and if I want a regular non-flocked pony there are tons of others to choose from.

That said, Hasbro could have put more thought and effort into the so soft-gimmick. Making them more durable and presentable. The same could be said for the BBEs with their odd appearance and rust-prone eyes... and the flutters with their breakable wings... Year 4 was really full of duds when it came to gimmicks (even though the designs/color schemes for the ponies are some of the best ever IMO). I guess the twinkle eyes worked out all right, although the pearlescent coating on the eyes was really delicate.

I'm also not sure flocked ponies was something kids really wanted or needed at the time. At least not to the extreme extent where there were 30 different SoSoft ponies and they completely replaced the regular type of ponies at the time. I get that you have to come up with something new to keep people buying your product, but I get the feeling MLP was pretty big at the time and that most kids were still content with regular ponies. I'd love to hear about this from the perspective of someone from the US who was a kid when the SoSofts came out. :)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
I used to be very meh about so softs, and never really sought them out (I was more interested in them de-flocked - thought they looked waaaay nicer).

But, like many, they eventually won me over, and I'm on a quest to get all of them now, lol! However I do agree, once the rubs are there they start getting a little manky looking, and I think that's what put me off initially. The so softs I am adding to my collection are aiming for as nice as possible, and I am slowly getting there!

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
Not a fan of the flocking. I tried to sell my SS Wind Whistler on eBay and no one bid on her, so I deflocked her and she turned out beautiful! I'm so glad no one bid on her!  Her flocking was so easy to remove, wish I could say that about the others that I have tried to deflock.  Fifi is the one that started it all.  I saw her deflocked online and I fell in love, but I still haven't acquired her yet.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
I like how soft they are! The first time I held one I was stroking the flocking for like a half hour.  :lol:

But yeah, flocking that is 30 years old and was well loved isn't as pretty as a new flocked toy straight out of the box. Oh, and the colour thing too, Twilight is such a pretty pony under that flocking.

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
For me there is nothing like a mint so soft pony! So beautiful and soft :lovey:  That said.. flawed/stained/etc need to be deflocked. I deflocked my childhood Best Wishes (she was so played with and worn) and she looks AMAZING compared to what she had.  I also got a mint flocked one to go with her.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but if I ever did get one in excellent condition, I wouldn't deflock it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal