collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony Museum?  (Read 2288 times)

Mowza2k2

• Trade Count: (0)
My Little Pony Museum?
« on: January 19, 2013, 02:08:05 AM »
So I have been an avid G4 collector ever since the show came out. Yes I am a Brony, but that is beside the point. I have spent countless thousands on anything pony related I can get my hands on even going as far as to search local thrift stores for older generation ones as well.
But I oft wondered how others can get enjoyment out of my stuff. I really want to keep all my stuff to myself but I wanted a place to also show off my collection. Almost all my stuff is in NIB condition. I even went as far as to purchase all the Posters from Comic-Cons and all the Trading Cards including the ludicrous priced ones.

So in my thought process I came across an idea for a MLP museum. Is there one even in existence yet? My plans were to display mine with my name next to them as "Donated By:" and then for all you older generation collectors I would ask around and have three options.
1. You can donate to the museum also and have your name next to the "Donated By:" spot.
2. You can keep them as your own and it would say "Displayed By:" and then if you ever wanted it back we would have no choice but to give it back. It was only on display via you.
3. I could in turn buy something but in the "Donated By:" spot I would put my name instead.

It would be a non-profit museum and I would only require enough cash to pay for the utility costs. One main issue I have at the moment is that I am in college and am poor. So my outlook on the possibility is at least 5+ years in the future when I can fund some of it myself. Would anybody be willing to even donate to a cause such as this?

A lot to take in but please leave feedback. I one day plan on this granted I can get a decent paying job out of college.

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
Re: My Little Pony Museum?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »
That would be awesome. I'm just not sure about the market.  Iwould look into doing a toy museum and not focusing on one toy perhaps.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:59 AM »
Actually I think it's a great idea! There are many *toy* museums out there (the big one in Portugal didn't even have any MLP last time I was there) and I personally think that MLP is big enough as a decades long franchise to have its own. To be honest, I'm a bit shocked there isn't one already, at least as far as I know.

I say, keep that idea in mind while you're collecting and if in 5+ years, when you have the funds, you feel the same way - absolutely go for it! by then your collection might expand to other generations and you might meet other pony collectors from your area that might share the endeavour with you ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline frizzycat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:58:29 AM »
If you have your own property you could either run the museum out of your own home or in a shed. There's a couple who has converted the front of their house into a dollhouse shop/diorama display area around here, and a few who display their collection of vintage items in a shed and charge visitors a few dollars.

Offline cacopony

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • um...hello?
    • View Profile
    • my deviant art account:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
one of the best ideas I've ever read about
if it ever gets done I may help Cx
taking drawing comissions, check my DA for reference pics_
http://cacopony.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:43:18 AM »
While it's a cute idea, i'm not sure how well it would work. It's pretty specific and once the pony craze dies out i'm not sure how many would be interested in it. Most of the newer fans don't even care about the old gens. Not sure how many people would want to donate their own ponies either. Perhaps building a site about your collection would be a better/more realistic start?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
Nice idea, not sure how well it would go. We've got ponycon/the fair where we all meet up but those locations change... There's no definitive pony mecca that we can say is ours (Hasbro headquarters?).

There's thousands of ponies and so much merchandise that you'd need a good sized warehouse to display stuff (and that would not be cheap).
Others that have made good points. An informative website would be wonderful start as many collectors enjoy looking at box art and seeing ponies in package. If you've got full sets that's always helpful for reference.

Best of luck with what you choose to do!

(LOL, there are two museums I'd like to visit, Hathorcats pony room and Glacia's pony room.)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
That would be awesome to go to one :)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:51 AM »
I think there is a lot of extra cost that you need to think about like insurance, places to put them etc.

I remember going to the teddy bear museum in Florida and it was wonderful.  I think unfortunately they had to close to to financial hardship. 

You should look into places where people have turned their own house etc into toy museums. 

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »
This sounds like a wonderful idea, but it is definitely a very big long term project.  What are you studying in college?  It might be a good idea to take some non profit management classes, or get an internship working in a museum.  It would need to be in a fairly accessible area, too, so more people could come.

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
Fun! I would visit!

But what about starting small to work up to it? I'm thinking like a traveling exhibit of MLP. That way you could initially reach more markets.

:good:

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
What a great idea!  But I think I'd have to second (or third, or fourth) the idea of either a virtual museum (website?) or the converted partition of a house.  And oh, the insurance... :yikes:

Is there a webring for people showing their pony rooms?  Just out of curiosity.  That might be the way to go for a pony museum - think of all the rare and beautiful ponies to be seen that way! ^.^  Mountain Boys, Nirvanas, Greek ponies, Taobao curiosities... *le sigh*

Good luck with the project, whichever way you decide to steer it. :hope:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »
That would be the most boss idea ever!

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
I once thought about this before, I would LOVE to see a MLP museum  :)

But as for donating, like the others said, insurance..  :yikes:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
(LOL, there are two museums I'd like to visit, Hathorcats pony room and Glacia's pony room.)

ROFL...you know you are welcome any time! lol! [just give me enough notice to dust...oh and entry costs one packet of milk duds :P]
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal