collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where do MIB, MOC, sealed in factory package ponies come from  (Read 4080 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Where do MIB, MOC, sealed in factory package ponies come from
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
I chose Morning Glory and Rosedust.  We hadn't even left the parking lot...  I opened Rosedust to show mom how the wings worked.   :(  Flutter... flutter... and down into my lap one wing went.  That quick. 

Oh-no!  I'm chuckling at your story, but can imagine how detrimental that must have been to you.  That is pretty impressive that as a little girl, you had the discipline to keep your childhood ponies on their cards/in their boxes  :nod:

Post Merge: March 16, 2016, 03:19:22 PM

You see, when a mommy MOC and a daddy MIB get together-

That is funny...just the kind of humor I appreciate  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:19:22 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »
--> In the early 90's a collector went to a warehouse sale that was all the extra MIP mail orders that didn't get sent out, the ponies were a couple dollars each. There were a few eBay seller over the years with similar stories. Imagine big cardboard boxes full of MIP M/O ponies? Crazy right? Sale had other toy lines extra mail orders so we think it was the primary distribution center for the area.

--> There was a couple in the mid to late 80's that collected something else, star wars I think, and they thought MLP would be valuable and started to bulk buy clearance ponies when they saw them. They used to lurk the TP in the late 90's early 2000's and (long story short) a collector did end up visiting them at their home once. she said they had a entire spare room full of boxes of MLP MIP. they would occasionally sell a few on eBay. I've seen them selling loose ponies too, so I suspect they picked up yard sale and thrift shop finds too.

---> Someone recently emailed a eBay seller asking if she had more than what she listed and it turned out she had a whole collection, apparently she and her sisters had collected ponies MIP as teens and were now slowly selling them off.

There are numerous stories of old toy shops, factory's in S. America, lost gifts (my own mother had a bunch of MLP and transformers she found in her closet, and please don't cry, she donated them to a charity toy drive..... )

so, MIP ponies come from a lot of places :) maybe even storks.

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
--> In the early 90's a collector went to a warehouse sale that was all the extra MIP mail orders that didn't get sent out, the ponies were a couple dollars each. There were a few eBay seller over the years with similar stories. Imagine big cardboard boxes full of MIP M/O ponies? Crazy right? Sale had other toy lines extra mail orders so we think it was the primary distribution center for the area.

--> There was a couple in the mid to late 80's that collected something else, star wars I think, and they thought MLP would be valuable and started to bulk buy clearance ponies when they saw them. They used to lurk the TP in the late 90's early 2000's and (long story short) a collector did end up visiting them at their home once. she said they had a entire spare room full of boxes of MLP MIP. they would occasionally sell a few on eBay. I've seen them selling loose ponies too, so I suspect they picked up yard sale and thrift shop finds too.

---> Someone recently emailed a eBay seller asking if she had more than what she listed and it turned out she had a whole collection, apparently she and her sisters had collected ponies MIP as teens and were now slowly selling them off.

so, MIP ponies come from a lot of places :) maybe even storks.

Thank you so much kasin.  I feel like I should be hoarding some toy line or working in a toy factory/warehouse and conveniently misplacing boxes of toys.  :whistle:

I am sooo sorry to hear your mom gave away your unopened, and probably did not know they existed ponies  :cry:.  At least they went to less fortunate children which I am sure doesn't bring you any comfort.  I know it wouldn't me. :shocked:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:52 PM »
I ended up saving roughly 60 in their packages because of Rosedust. 
Ages ago, I came home with one of my best report cards in grade school.  Mom was pleased and she told me I could pick out a couple ponies if they were under $5.00 at the local KMart. 
I chose Morning Glory and Rosedust.  We hadn't even left the parking lot...  I opened Rosedust to show mom how the wings worked.   :(  Flutter... flutter... and down into my lap one wing went.  That quick.  We went back into the store and the customer service lady let me choose again.  Mom said to return both flutters or keep the other one in the package.  Morning Glory stayed.
That trauma didn't stop my collecting, but after that flutter pony broke in the car, I didn't open another pony until G2 came out.

The exact same thing happened to me.  Honestly, I am shocked that ANY flutter ponies survived intact to this day. The design was ridiculously fragile.

As for the topic-  I am sure that much as many of us are adults that collect modern toys- there were adults in the 80s.  I am much more likely to leave things in their packages as an adult collector than I was as a kid.  And not because I think they will be worth more-  they just sometimes look nice that way.  Also, laziness does sometimes factor in... (monster high dolls are almost more trouble than they are worth to debox)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
Yes there are a mix of both found from warehouses and collectors.  I have a MIP Rapunzel i got from a couple that collected ponies back in the 80s. They sent away for all the mail orders and kept them MIP.
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »
Not MLP, but we found a couple of MIP Teddy Ruxpin miniatures while cleaning the house out a couple of years back.  My dad used to work for Worlds of Wonder back in the day; my mom saved them as gifts for me and they got lost in the shuffle.  So, yeah, this sort of thing happens more than you'd think (we also found my unsigned 5th grade graduation card.). :)

Old stock also seems to be relatively common.  I wish I ran into that more often.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
I keep praying for that toy fair when someone shows up with a MOC Sunburst for £40 or £50.

Because it must happen one day. (Though probably not to me. Sigh).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
Has anyone asked Ebay member dianogachile the story of all his/her MOCs? You know, the person in Chile who sells the same TEs and TAFs mib like every single week and has for like 2+ years now?

I bought a box of like 9 MOCs from her once, should have asked.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:36 AM »

AHAHHAHA so cute!!! ;o))

Has anyone asked Ebay member dianogachile the story of all his/her MOCs? You know, the person in Chile who sells the same TEs and TAFs mib like every single week and has for like 2+ years now?

Oh yes!! everytime I am thinking where do they come from??? :blink:
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 05:25:21 AM »

AHAHHAHA so cute!!! ;o))

Oh yes!! everytime I am thinking where do they come from??? :blink:

Yes, it was a warehouse find.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:12:58 AM »
I know my mom told me that my grandma had several MOC ponies she kept in the closet that she showed my mom.  She said my grandma told her she would buy on for me, change her mind and then buy different pony but instead of returning the other one she bought she would keep it. I think my aunt got rid of them because she didn't know they were worth anything and thought they were junk. 

I was very careful with Flutter Pony Yum Yum from the birthday party set but her wings broke anyway.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
I dream of finding old warehouse stock.

As a mom I can certainly say that I buy a lot of toys for my kids while I'm out hunting for my own collections. Usually because I find a good sale or whatever. Then I save them/stock up for birthdays or Christmas and by the time it rolls around they are no longer into this toy or that toy so I don't give it to them. So I do have a few boxes of random toys MIB from the last couple years that my kids don't want. I'm sure this happened in the 80's too. And not just forgetting about things but just saving them too long and your kids are no longer interested.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
My co-worker has MiB ponies because her mom wouldn't let her open them as a kid because " they would be valuable one day ". She is not a collector, but I doubt she'll see them until her mom passes away. 

Another person I know has a ton of other MiB 80s toys because she helped wity the creation of them... I think they were a part of a time in her life, that she might of wanted to give her child but never had any.

There were a few MiB 80s things in my grandma's home cuz they got lost in a hoard. .... o.o

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »
There was a store in my old town that sold MOC / MIB ponies in the late 90s / early 2000s once in a while.  Sadly the supply has long since dried up, but it was great while it lasted.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
My co-worker has MiB ponies because her mom wouldn't let her open them as a kid because " they would be valuable one day ". She is not a collector, but I doubt she'll see them until her mom passes away.

I always find these type of stories interesting.  It just sounds to me like mom was the one who really wanted to collect but just couldn't bring herself to say she was doing so for herself.  So she uses her daughter as an excuse.

Otherwise why not give the daughter the items now that she is an adult and can decide for herself what she wants to do with them?  I would have been sad as a child if my parents gave me things that weren't really "mine."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal