collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HK white toostie and HK yellow moondancer scandinavian or not?  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Ponyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Puffy stickers are my currency! Trade with me!
    • View Profile
Re: HK white toostie and HK yellow moondancer scandinavian or not?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
Thanks LG, :) I have hopscotch MOC from the UK set. They could be considered the 4th set of standard "no gimic" ponies in UK (1: CP ponies, 2: earth ponies, 3: second eddition earth ponies 4: this set).
In Sweden we started with the second eddition earthlings ( 3th set) as our very first ponies somewhere 85/86 (only have records from swedish pony history starting at 86, haven't found any evidence jet of them being released in 85 - but it is possible). And as your 4th set where sold in stores in 1986 we got the earthlings from that set the same year as you, but on the earthling card.

I have another interesting MOC in my collection, it is CP Bowtie (hong kong), but on your 4th set card. It is from Germany as it has a small banner with "Mein kleines Pony" written underneath the regular english logo. I guess they started out with this eartling set as well, like we did here in Sweden. They on other hand, as oposite to us, used your Gypsy etc. card for the regular six earthlings! Lol! Confusing! ^^
My collection at Snupps:http://snupp.it/d8NITq
Instagram: @iPonyland

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
Not sure if it helps, but in the UK, the magenta Posey, LS and CJ were a different set from the original ones. The original ones were in a set with Tootsie, Applejack (CP), Bowtie (CP) and Lickety Split. The magenta ones were sold with Honeycomb, Gypsy, Hopscotch and Snowflake. The second set ones had a different card entirely though.

*edit* French inserts suggest that there at least it may have been a different set: http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/tootsie.htm. That would account for the magenta versions, but whether or not the green Tootsie was in the original set is hard to tell!

That french set (amis jolis), is actually the counterpart to the Pony Friends set we had in sweden (the one with "nss" truly and cupcake).
The Poseys I have seen on the swedish Pony Friends card did have magenta tulips. Not sure about the french set though. I think the only pony I have ever seen on amis jolis card was a Hopscotch - and she was a *spain* Hopscotch by the way. (confused yet?  :P I know I am)

I'm also trying to find proof about: if White Tootsie replaced green tootsie. They most likely where sold alongside each other with some stock left over in stores, but I wonder if she continued to be produced. Again I think not!

But, are we sure green tootsie was sold here in the first place..?
I have never seen her on card in sweden (other than imported ones) and the same goes for loose ones in swe auctions.

I know I have seen both lighter tulips Posey and magenta tulips Posey on card here (same card and both from swedish stores) but thats it.... no green tootsie, neither any lighter cherries CJ or lighter cones Lickety Split....
-

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
Tootie; I will have to check my mib/moc gallery when my computer is up and running again, but i'm quite sure that I have seen them moc here in Sweden. And as you said regular light symbol posey, and the later magenta symbol posey i'm sure 100% that I have seen. (I have even had the light symbol one in my hands to look at closely). It would have been a little strange to only get Posey in two diffrent issues, and leave the rest out.
I have notised that they -do- quite often appear lose as well from chilhood collections, and they appear in Swedish advertising (which isn't a 100% proof as they could have been photagraphed in UK with "stand ins".)
Still I'm looking for advertising from before 1986, as that would prove it most definitly, as the second wave where'nt in production that early.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:12:39 PM by Norrskensljus »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »
Also, they could well have been imported on English card, like with the white Tootsie on the UK card as well. With the exception of the Pony Friends set, are there any Sweden-specific cards? Or Norwegian? I know there are Danish (I have one, albeit with no pony attached!), but I am curious about the other places round there :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 02:35:54 AM »
No we had the same cards as in UK, because we sourced from Hasbro UK factory. And In Sweden we all learn english at young age, so no need to spend money to translate and print swedish cards for ponies that where exported to english speaking countries as well (like Australia). Our Pony Friends card is written in english as well. And our spanish baby Lemondrop got repacked in UK from spanish box  to an english box. Also our Baby Heart Throb that we shared with Germany (the one with wings on the hearts) where packed in a english box. (In Germany it was german text on it, because they didn't teach the kids english back then -not sure how it is now though!)

As far as I know Norway got the same ponies as us, on the same cards, and in Denmark the only ponies being sold on danish cards where the birthflowers. Otherwise I think they got english cards. Don't know why they got that luxury! Both birthflowers (we did not get them), and their own card for them! :) Can't say that I'm not jelous! :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:40:14 AM by Norrskensljus »

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 03:05:16 AM »
Also, they could well have been imported on English card, like with the white Tootsie on the UK card as well. With the exception of the Pony Friends set, are there any Sweden-specific cards? Or Norwegian? I know there are Danish (I have one, albeit with no pony attached!), but I am curious about the other places round there :)

That is what I was thinking. If green Tootsie was ever sold here it could well have been that a store independently decided to import a few "uk ponies" and resell them here although those ponies were not planned to be part of the swedish release.
The card being the same we wouldn't know the difference, right?

I know for a fact that some non-swedish-release ponies found their way here like that. I have seen us release ponies (on us card) sold here, with original B&W price tags.
I also remember people have reported some sets were sold here both on uk/euro card and on us card. (Sparkle ponies? Sun-changing hair ponies? not sure what sets it was about)
I also know Ã…hlens had a slightly different selection of mlp than what most toy stores had.

To me it seems there was one 'real' selection of ponies/sets sold in sweden, carefully planned and picked out from what was available from hasbro uk etc. This was the wide spread release, advertised and readily available in most toy stores.
And on top of that some stores would independently import other stuff and sell it here.
I think the planned releases dominated in the first years when mlp was heavily advertised here, and after that when the popularity was going down stores would act more on their own, buying in what they thought would sell.

At least that would explain some of the diversity in what people remember we had here.

-

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »
As far as I know Norway got the same ponies as us, on the same cards, and in Denmark the only ponies being sold on danish cards where the birthflowers. Otherwise I think they got english cards. Don't know why they got that luxury! Both birthflowers (we did not get them), and their own card for them! :) Can't say that I'm not jelous! :D

Denmark had other cards in Danish as well - I still have one:

But that does make sense with the English language :)

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
LadyG! That card is suuuper cool! Never seen that before! It looks like they could have used the same story on all the ponys, because it is quite plain and could work for them all, applejack is mentioned though but only as an example. :D (funny that applejack is mentioned as a "he", maybe because "Jack" is a masculine name?) it would have been cheaper in the end as well to only print one card in danish... I wonder if they got italians mixed in with HK ponies in Denmark... A danish friend of mine found a italian short/straight hair applejack (shy pose) over there - with a normal HK cherries jubilee. And he gave them to me as he knows I collect. :) I have always wondered if she was a vacation pony or not..

Edit; LOL!!! do you se the "made in italy" text on the back if the card? :) maybe im not totaly wrong about my danish/italy applejack?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:57:34 AM by Norrskensljus »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
Lol, I should have mentioned really! The pony that came on that card is Italy Seashell :) I had her from new (bought in Denmark when on holiday... in 1987 :) ) Sebby would know about HK/Italy in Denmark maybe?

You might be right on the one card - it is pretty generic. Interestingly, one of my HK White Tootsies on card (the Benelux one) says made in Italy on the card, but is definitely HK!

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
T
Lol, I should have mentioned really! The pony that came on that card is Italy Seashell :) I had her from new (bought in Denmark when on holiday... in 1987 :) ) Sebby would know about HK/Italy in Denmark maybe?

You might be right on the one card - it is pretty generic. Interestingly, one of my HK White Tootsies on card (the Benelux one) says made in Italy on the card, but is definitely HK!

That explains it! ^_^ It would have been a little strange if Denmark got all the first earthlings as HK ponies, considering them being sold in 1984 and not produced after that. My guess is that Denmark got their first ponies around 1985/86 as the rest of us scandinavians.. Italy started to produce ponies (and export to Germany and benelux countries) around that time if I remember correctly.. If your pony was on sale (refering to that price tag) she would have been, maybe, a year old in stock... So 1986 sounds fair.. :)

As to your benelux card.. Maybe they run out of italy tootsies. ;)
I'll figure that this is what happened with our spanish baby lemondrop -but the opposite way-in the first ad she appear she is a HK one, but with pink stroller (no accessories). The next ad, a few months later, she is the spanish one with pink stroller. There are swedish collectors who claims they got the HK one when they where children. My guess is that they very quickly run out of them and sourced from spain instead. But used the same box for both of them. (baby bowties, with no accessories - but pink stroller, and english text)

As for white Tootsie.. Do you think someone messed up (reversed) her colors by mistake in the factory ( I'm thinking about color charts and someone missread them and made the lollipop sticks green instead of white, and her body white instead of green) or they just reversed her colors as an cheap way of making a not-so-popular (shelf warmer) pony become more popular and sell better as white? Learn from previous misstakes in UK so to speak? (I like her in green, but know that she isn't the most popular in this set. :) She had a tough competition.)
(stuff like this makes me ponder all nigh long.. ;) )

Angervo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:34 AM »
This is really interesting topic!!
Thanks for all of you for your knowledge!!
I'd like to ask are the magenta versions same than "curly haired versions"?
(sorry, if that was mentioned, then I didn't read carefully)
:)

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:05 AM »
The magenta version Lickety Split and Cherries Jubilee had curly hair. :) Posey has always been a straight haired girl. (When HK made.)
In UK the magenta version Cherries Jubilee (who came with magenta Posey in the Gypsy set) had straight and short hair, just like Snowflake.

Not sure if this was your question? :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »
This is really interesting topic!!
Thanks for all of you for your knowledge!!
I'd like to ask are the magenta versions same than "curly haired versions"?
(sorry, if that was mentioned, then I didn't read carefully)
 :)

hhhm not quite from what i have found out, this is UK information release else where might be different though!  in the UK we had the "groom and style" ponies which featured cherries, lickerty and CP bowtie with long curly hair

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1985_earthponies.htm

also tootsie, CP applejack and posey were released as part of that set. i have "groom and style" cherries and lickerty from childhood and they DON'T have magenta symbols, but both have long, curly hair (well, it was curly once :P )

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1986_mylittlepony.htm

both posey and cherries were re-released again with the "my little pony" set along side gypsy, hopscotch, snowflake and honeycomb. it was with this set that they had the darker pink or magenta symbols.

i think this is the set that got all the cross over with white tootise, cupcake etc and where it gets confusing!

i had no idea until now that hong kong CP applejack got release else were, i was always under the impression she was UK only with the exception of italy CP applejack which pops up through out europe.

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline yum-yum

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Yummie!
    • View Profile
    • ThePonyBusiness
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Can someone summarize this topic please? I can't keep up with al the info posted  :blush:

Angervo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
Thak you! <3

So there is

-US Cherries Jubilee (has straight hair and not magenta)
-UK Cherries Jubilee with curly hair (not magenta)
-magenta Cherries Jubilee (with curly hair)

- US Posey (pink tulips)
- Posey with magenta tulips

-US Lickety-Split
-UK Lickety-Split with curly hair (not magenta cones)
-Lickety-Split with magenta cones (and with curly hair)

Did I understand right? :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:37:31 PM by Angervo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal