collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wisdom tooth experiences?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
Re: Wisdom tooth experiences?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:20 AM »
I have never had any trouble from wisdom teeth,
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
I had all four of mine removed several years ago.  They weren't impacted, but they were just barely starting to break through the gum.  I was out cold for the procedure and the first thing I heard the surgeon say was, "And we're done."  The nurse lead me into the recovery room and plopped me down in a big comfy chair with a blanket.  They kept trying to get me to open my eyes and wake up, but I was thinking, "No way!  I'm comfy and I'mma sleep."  I slept in the car on the way home and slept the rest of the day on the couch in front of the TV.  Once the anesthetic wore off, I felt like my normal self again. 

I was nervous at first too since it was my first time going under general anesthesia and my first time having any sort of surgery.  I had little to no pain afterwards thanks to the pain meds they sent me home with.  Just get yourself plenty of rest, make sure to rinse out your sockets and rinse with salt water after every meal and before bed, and stick to soft foods for about a week or so.

Good luck! <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Margos

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »
I was out for the procedure.  I have vague memories of wandering about my dentist's office, singing off-key and trying to start conversations with the IV machine.

When I was alert enough to realize where I was, I was passed out on my grandma's couch with bags of frozen corn wrapped around my head.  My face hurt so much!

But yeah, soon enough you forget the pain.  It sucks, but it passes... Besides, you get to eat soft, squishy food, so you have an excuse to eat delicious soup and ice cream!  If you have the dissolving stitches, they do taste absolutely terrible.  But just eat an Italian ice or something, you won't really notice it.

So yeah, you're gonna be just fine!  :biggrin:

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
I was out too- had all 4 removed. They had already broken through.

I remember waking up halfway in my parents' van and wondering how I'd gotten there. They didn't give me any drugs, but I bled a lot. I had to hang over the sink for quite a few hours.

Do not swallow the blood if you're bleeding! It will disrupt the stomach and cause vomiting, which is extremely unpleasant with any oral surgeries.

Dairy foods are not a good idea- they can actually cause infections. It's better if you stick to icy products. One thing that I had was lots of Pedialyte (don't drink the Pineapple- it will burn).

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Margos

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
Dairy foods are not a good idea- they can actually cause infections. It's better if you stick to icy products. One thing that I had was lots of Pedialyte (don't drink the Pineapple- it will burn).

Seriously!?  My grandma stuffed me full of soft cheeses and ice cream!  I guess I got lucky not to have any infections!  :(

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
I hope everything goes ok for you today.

I had only had one wisdom tooth, and it wasn't too bad having it taken out. They put you under and you don't really remember anything about it. Afterwards, you will be sore, but I don't remember it being too bad. They perscribe you tylenol 3's or something, so it doesnt really hurt as much.

Good luck!

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

Seriously!?  My grandma stuffed me full of soft cheeses and ice cream!  I guess I got lucky not to have any infections!  :(
Dairy products have small particles that can get caught in the wound and cause infections. I remember hearing something else about the pathogens in them, but I can't find anything on it right now.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Margos

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »

Dairy products have small particles that can get caught in the wound and cause infections. I remember hearing something else about the pathogens in them, but I can't find anything on it right now.
That's actually rather awful considering my grandma was a nurse and is my family's number one go-to for medical advice...  Well, jeez, I might just have to give her a piece of my mind for that one!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
I had four of them taken out it was not hugely painful due to them being just buds but i did find out i am severely allergic to laughing gas to the point where it could kill me. I wound up throwing up the whole time they were working, all the way home, then for 5 hours after i got home till my dad got some anti histamine meds.   I could not open my jaw much for a week though but in the end i was fine and am glad i will never have this done again.  I did have to be given nova cane about 12 times though.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
Aww that's a bummer.  I can't say that having your teeth removed will be FUN (as I'm sure will you know by the time you read this), but mine weren't awful.  All 4 were compacted and I had horrible bruising and swelling.  But I played in my citywide concert a week later and managed, so it couldn't have been THAT bad.  Just keep your mouth clean to avoid dry socket.  My husband got that when his were removed and it was really nasty.

How are you feeling?

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
I got all four of mine out. I was freaking out before, so they gave me some really nice drugs to take before hand, lol. Apparently when they gave me forms to sign I was drawing out my name with lightning bolts and vines and all sorts of stuff XD They knocked me out and it wasn't a bad experience at all. Even after I woke up I was never in any pain. Just remember to rinse and don't use straws to drink. I'm sure you'll do just fine :)

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 06:21:25 AM »
I wish I had seen this earlier so I could tell you about a fairly positive experience before your surgery! Well I hope everything went well for you!

For me, I was so scared to have mine out, but actually, it wasn't so bad a at all, even with have 4 impacted teeth removed. I had general anesthesia, and the only really weird thing was that I lost a few hours after I got home. It was weird, not like I slept through those hours (which I didn't, my mom tells me I was awake), but like they never happened.

As for pain, all I took was a few prescription-strength ibuprofen the first two days (really, just at night), and regular ibuprofen for a few days after that. And the first day after I got home, alternating between ice and ..no ice? or maybe something warm. Like I said I don't entirely remember XD . I didn't need anything stronger, but also, my mom recommended I not take the stronger stuff if I didn't think I really needed it because it can have weird side effects. In fact, most of my friends' problems with having their wisdom teeth out came from the painkillers afterwards. Actually, the worst pain I had was after the checkup, when they cleaned the area, and even that was bearable.

I really didn't even have too much of an issue eating! I had soup and soft things like egg the first day or two, but after that, I ate fairly normal. Probably should have been more careful since the holes were kind of big, but I was fine.

Oh, and Eviecorn, you're not the only person I've heard of who had more that 4! I knew a girl in high school who's brother had 6 and her dad had 8!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:23:04 AM by Elisto »

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
I had 4 removed a couple years ago. 2 top ones were showing, on the bottom I had 1 impacted and 1 particially impacted and was touching underneath my back tooth. I had a 50% chance of nerve damage to the front of my mouth. I was scared!

They had 2 put me all the way under. I went to outpatient surgery. Afterwards was pretty horrible. Not much pain at all. (and I couldn't handle the drugs they gave me so that was good.) It was the bleeding that took forever to stop. I had to keep a mug, tissues, and trash bag near me for about a week. Sleeping was a mess. Swallowing it makes you sick so you have to spit it out.

I ate ramen noodles for a couple weeks. They made me eat right after surgery when I got home. I didn't want to but they said I would be sick if I didn't and no one wants stomach acid in their sutures!

I am so glad I had it done! You will feel much better once you get that tooth out.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
I had all four of mine removed when I was 16 (so like, 17 years ago!).  It went fine.  I opted to be put semi-under, and my oral surgeon let me bring some music CDs to listen to during the whole process.  So all I remember is listening to REM and then that's about it.  Recovery was pretty normal - I was fine with taking Tylenol for the pain.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Yep, make sure you stay on top of the aftercare - rinsing, pain meds, etc.  :)  You'll look like a chipmunk for a few days but as long as there are no infections - and they SHOULD give you an antibiotic to be sure - you should be fine.  Sore, but you won't have to worry about them again!  :)

I only had 3 - all were impacted.  I was unconscious so I don't remember anything until I woke up and crawled to the car.  After that, I took my pills a few minutes early each time, to stay on top of things, and then I spent 2 days recovering.  By Day 4, I was back at work. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:40:52 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal