collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about removing G3 head and Glue  (Read 934 times)

Offline Valerie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
Question about removing G3 head and Glue
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
I´m decided to buy two G3 in an argentinian virtual shop to use as baits, one of them is Desert Rose (2004). I think that she hasn´t a "Now Pony's Head Turns" head  :lol:

I have read some tutorials but in them the ponies used have motion heads, so I need some advice about how I can separate the "no motion" head from the body...

The other pony is Lulabelle (Fizzy Pop Pose), the one that came in the Spring basket....
Wikipedia says "This set is prone to having a ton of glue allover the ponies."

So, it is a lot more hard in these ponies to remove the hair? all the Lulabelles from that set came with tons of glue? have you tried to remove the hair of Lulabelle?

Any advice is welcome.... I´m almost decided to buy those ponies, but I´m a newbie in customs and I have  fear of spoil the ponies and then be unable to customize them, specially Lulabelle, because she is in good conditions, also considering that G3s aren´t easy to find in my country....  :huh:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:55:43 PM by Valerie »
:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
Re: Question about removing G3 head and Glue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:45 AM »
I'm pretty new to working with G3s so my method may not be the best, but when I come accross a head that doesn't turn I soak  the head in the hot water (well actually I do that with ALL ponies, it just makes beheading them sooo much easier :blush:) then try to pull on the head a little, sometimes the hot water is enough to dislodge the plastic enough to get the head off. If that doesn't work then after soaking I take a X-acto knife and very slowly and carefully cut around the neckline till its loose enough to pull the head out.

As for the glue, I honestly haven't come across a G3 covered in glue. I've come across a few G4's that had heads full glue and I've removed it by using a little acetone, which I imagine would work for a G3 as well. But of course you always want to be careful with acetone, so if you do get a G3 with lots of glue on it I would try dabbing a little acetone on like a Q-tip and try to gently remove the glue like that. 
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »
The glue for the most part is inside the head.  For some it is actually just easier to cut the hair off and do a sclupted mane/tail instead of trying to get that hair out.

But if you want to hair, you will need a nice sharp exatco blade, be careful not to cut yourself or the pony.  Heating will help a little but the glue used in G3 is not the same or as old as G1 glue so for the most part you will not be able to just pull.  You can usually get a small gap going though and then stick the tip of your knife in and carefully cut slowly all the way around.  Just do not go to deep at once, take it in levels, if you go to deep you cut the plug off and you have to reglue the head on so no motion.  Take your time do not rush.

Once you get it cut all around you can start to pull a little to see if it is lose, then cut more as needed until you can pull the head out with the plug in tact.  If you do not mind just gluing the head back on and are not worried about it, then you can cut it off and just plan to glue back on.

Once you get it off, after trimming the mane so it is as close to the pony head as possible you need to use a pair of long nose needle nose pliers or I prefer hemostats since they can be locked shut.   Start tying to pull out the clumps of hair and glue, if it will not budge, try heating with some hot water.  If that does not help, fill the head with some acetone, and let sit.  Then dump that out and try more. 

Best of luck.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
Thank you so much LittleKirara & Diamond !!!!   :hug: :tackleglomp: :flow:

I´m waiting the answer of the seller about the purchase method, and then surely I wll buy the ponies, so I will have to put into practice all your advices  :)

I hope to have luck, I have fear of the pony decapitation  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
Just remember to keep your fingers out of the way.  Some folks do have luck with heating them but I have not.  Also was reading about heating the head and then squishing it to break up the glue on the manes, but have not tried it personally.  Sounds good in theory though.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Just remember to keep your fingers out of the way.  Some folks do have luck with heating them but I have not.  Also was reading about heating the head and then squishing it to break up the glue on the manes, but have not tried it personally.  Sounds good in theory though.

Thanks again  ;)

The two customs that I made were fakies, so take away their head and hair was very easy (they hadn´t glue)

But I see that the original Hasbro ones are more complicated..... maybe the fakies aren´t so bad if you see them as baits  :lol:

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
I already made the custom with Lulabelle, it was difficult to remove the head and hair, It took some hours (and I had my father´s help  :lol:)

Here you can see what I have made  :)

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,339290.new.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal