collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think that's TOO much twinkle Sweet Stuff...  (Read 4988 times)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I think that's TOO much twinkle Sweet Stuff...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
She doesn't look like her hair's been brushed at all.  If someone's going to take the time to add bling to a pony (maybe she had awful cancer or marker stains, who knows), why wouldn't they at least give the poor thing a good brushing? At least before they sell it?

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
Saw her before, so very sad people think this is an appropriate thing to do with a vintage toy.  :(

So why is this worse than any other custom?
its because someone piled random crap on a pony that looked good otherwise rather than doing proper rehairs, paintwork, sealing, etc etc...

Well, we think it looks horrid but they probably don't. To them it's (hopefully) not piling random crap on a pony. When people in the community post their customs everyone is nothing but supportive, but because this person chose to list it on eBay instead of here it's an abomination?

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »
Kind of looks like kid's work to me.

This was my first guess. It looks like some kid got bored with their toy and decided to "fix" her. kinda like some kids scribble on their ponies or cut their hair.

And little.fox, some of us don't like to see G1s customized at all, or not until they are completely beyond hope etc. just because we´re not going around bashing people here on the arena doesn't mean that we adore every custom that's being posted here.
But again, I just don't think this .. thing..was made to be a custom, just a school project of some kid :P

Edit: Also, just to not involve anyone, every "we" etc here just read as "I" I guess.

oh and I guess people are just a bit more honest when they don't think the one in question will actually read all the comments :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:05:45 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »
There are plenty of customs I don't think should have been made that are shown off here - while I'm not of the "never customize G1" camp, I do cringe when I see shoddy paint jobs, especially FBR's, or uncommon/rare ponies sacrificed as bait simply because they were missing hair or had a symbol rub. I don't think sticking a ton of Swarovski crystals, tons of apoxie and bedroom eyes on a pony is appealing - but people are free to do what they want with their property. 

However, at least most customizers have the good sense to ask first if their pony is in bait condition, or would be better off restored to her original finish.  I have yet to see anyone post a custom where they didn't at least try to make them look presentable, aka brushed hair, a ribbon or accessory, some time spent on the design, even if their skills are abysmal. 

Edit: and it's pretty clear by the usual slew of "good jobs!" that rarely does anyone want honest critique on things posted in the Customs forum, which is why I stay away from it most of the time.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
Saw her before, so very sad people think this is an appropriate thing to do with a vintage toy.  :(

Yes most are done with a lot more care and attention, but it's all down to personal taste at the end of the day.

I don't think it's simply a matter of personal taste. This pony is objectively a sloppily executed custom, without even a simple hair-brushing. There was no painting, rehairing, cleaning(?), or altering of any kind other than slapping some glue and glitter on the pony, and even that was done haphazardly. The seller even admits that the glitter will probably come off during shipping :/

Edit: and it's pretty clear by the usual slew of "good jobs!" that rarely does anyone want honest critique on things posted in the Customs forum, which is why I stay away from it most of the time.

Agreed. Most people in the customizing forum are their own worst critics, too. They know what they've done well and what they need to work on, and they mention it in the initial post. People don't need to pile on over a point that the artist is aware of and working on. And the few people who really aren't aware that they are doing sloppy work don't usually ask for critiques, or they demand to know why people aren't buying their customs in a way that makes it clear they think the customs are the best thing since sliced bread. So it's not like anyone feels comfortable pointing anything out that could use improvement, because they don't want to offend the artist. This fear can carry over even into situations where the artist really does want critique. So the customs forum is more of an "ask questions about technique/show off your creations for admiration" place than an "honest critique on what needs improvement" place. It doesn't mean that everyone thinks every custom ever presented there is amazing, just that people try to remain positive. This isn't always a good thing, especially because sometimes people don't know if anyone actually does like their customs, or if they're just being nice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »

its because someone piled random crap on a pony that looked good otherwise rather than doing proper rehairs, paintwork, sealing, etc etc...

Well, we think it looks horrid but they probably don't. To them it's (hopefully) not piling random crap on a pony. When people in the community post their customs everyone is nothing but supportive, but because this person chose to list it on eBay instead of here it's an abomination?
no, it's not an abomination just because it's on ebay instead of here, in fact, most customs on eBay are at least decent, except that black minty and the other customs that same person made, and this one. There was no effort put into this pony, and most likely proper materials were not used. The person did that just to make a quick buck, and that's not ok in my eyes. Sweet stuff didn't appear to have any stains or marks or anything, but it's hard to tell with the glitter in the way. If anything poor sweet stuff should have been restored. But now she's instant bait.
And the reason people think that (almost all) customs on the forum are good is because the artists put effort into their customs, they have a specific design in mind, then they re-root, repaint, dye, seal, style the hair, add accessories... Not drench the pony in glitter glue.... Heck, even some artists use the original hair the pony cane with (if the pony had any in the first place, some baits are hairless) but at least they make the hair look nice... By brushing it out, or conditioning, or straightening, or trimming off frizzy ends. The hair has to look nice too, having a nicely made custom with ratty hair isn't gonna look good, and likely won't sell...
That's what makes a custom good, not the website the artist chooses to put the pony on.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:59:33 PM by Behemoth »
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »

I admit it's kind of random, but for all we know she was covered in pindot mold and had her symbols scratched off.  *shrugs* 

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
Wow. Maybe whoever buys it will use her as a disco ball! XD Interesting custom idea.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
I don't think it's enough glitter! Seriously. I think it could of been done with more attention to detail, but I think it is on par to some "beginner" stuff (I don't mean any offense by that!) . *shrug* I like the concept.

This reminds me of a custom pony I thought I saw once... it was covered in broken glass? or small squares of glass or something similar, and it looked like a discoball. It was sooo amazing. ??? I wonder if that actually existed, or if it only was in a dream. o_O

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Wow. Maybe whoever buys it will use her as a disco ball! XD Interesting custom idea.

I love this idea. Also I personally can't get enough bling :biggrin:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
I am allllmost too afraid to look :yikes:  This pony is in my fave pose, and I might be tempted to buy it for my army :crazy:   shall I risk checking it out ?.....

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
...Was anyone else's first though Lady Gaga? Or was that just me? :P

KiwiSquirtBottle

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
...Was anyone else's first though Lady Gaga? Or was that just me? :P
Nope, I did that too. XD

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Ok.. I gave in and looked. I've seen better customs.. but then again I've also seen worse! :P   the idea aint that bad TBH, but the hair really needs some work.  Personally while I'm only in favor of customising reeeaaally baity literally beyond restoration G1 ponies,  I dont think we can make a judgement on whether she should have been customised or not cos who knows what that glitter is hiding ;) 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

MsGatamon

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
Call me crazy because I like this style.  I wish there were better pics so I could see how smooth a job the sequins were applied and what sequins were used.
This is either a newbie customizer or someone who thinks they can make money off selling customs.  "some sequins may come off during posatge but i have put a lot on" to me means I didnt care enough to do a proper job.  I also agree that they should have rehaired.  They could have considered the cutie mark in the design instead of poorly covering it.
But you need to give the customizer some points for admitting the flaws and starting out at a low price instead of starting out with a high price.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal