collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Work Desk Ponies  (Read 870 times)

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Work Desk Ponies
« on: February 05, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
Hello, everyone. I just got my first desk job and we are allowed to decorate our desks how we like. However, I was wondering if anyone here who works in a desk job uses their ponies to decorate their work desk?

I have some hesitation because I'm worried that someone could steal them. So I'm curious to hear others' experiences.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Work Desk Ponies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 10:35:17 AM »
When I worked at the library, I had a couple of G3 ponies who had a turn on my desk. Shenanigans was one, and the other was a pink pegasus whose name I never remember. The latter got decorated with things like flowers made from stickers, a welsh flag, L plates, and so on, by my colleagues. I also learned that a colleague had a little girl who loved G3 at the time, she got very excited to see the pony on my desk, so I managed to bring her back some g3s from ponycon that year :)

My colleagues always knew I was into MLP though. When I was on the main desk downstairs, sometimes one of them would leave his ebay account logged in when we switched over to cover breaks. He shouldn't have had ebay open, but that's another matter. I got sick of it so I added a pony to his watchlist to remind him he ought to take care of his security xD. He never did it again.

I also had them on my shelf in my room at university every year I was down in London, so 5 years in total including the MA and across 3 different properties. Although that's a little bit different as I didn't have a work office when I was a GTA.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »
If a lot of people have access to your desk, I wouldn't leave anything valuable on it.  Once my boss left his car keys on his desk and a stranger walked into his office, grabbed them, used the beeper to find his car and took off.  We only saw the guy walking away and assumed he delivered something.

But... that only means I wouldn't put a pony out that can't be replaced cheaply.  I had a pony, stuffed rabbit and ninja hamster on my desk.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »
That's a good point. I should add, my desk was in an upstairs workroom behind a door that had a security code to enter.

And though she got decorated, my colleagues never did anything to damage the pony on my desk. The decorations were superficial and not fixed on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:07:57 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »
Thank you all. My job's office is behind doors that can only be opened with a security card or via the receptionist. So there aren't random people walking around in there, but at the same time, can you really trust your coworkers? And I mean something could happen while I'm on break or using the restroom. =/

I thought of bringing a G3 Minty. I have three of them. lol But IDK.

Ultimately I may just decide on a cute stuffed unicorn. No one's going to mess with that.

|My Collection|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
I'd say a good rule of thumb for stuff like this is, don't bring in anything valuable/difficult to replace or anything you would be super upset about if it got lost/damaged/messed up/etc.

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 08:46:37 AM »
the last time i worked in an office i didn't decorate my desk. I had some G3 and G4 ponies at one of my workplaces. it was a small company and a few people on our team had some toys and collectibles in the office. most people there knew i collected ponies and a couple of people even gave me ponies as gifts. the office was kind of small and 5 of us worked in the same room. we also kept the doors locked at night.

i wouldn't bring anything too valuable. though i feel like if the office were robbed the electronics would get stolen first. if you have a good relationship with your coworkers i wouldn't worry about more common and replaceable collectibles.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 03:33:58 PM »
Before I was primarily work from home, I had ponies at my desk! They were common ones, but no one ever messed with any of my stuff. I would say maybe don’t bring anything the first few months, see if other people keep personal belongings on their desks, and if everything seems to stay in place. Ultimately I felt comfortable decorating and bringing ponies because I saw a lot of people had personal items that no one bothered. :)

I even left a LOT of stuff at my desk when we evacuated the building back in 2020. When I came back to collect it nearly a year and a half later, everything was still there!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
I don't work currently (well...I'm a mom of 3, so that's not true, and if my workplace is at home, well, there are ponies everywhere!), but at my last place of employment I wouldn't have dared; my co-workers were quite judgmental and I would never have heard the end of it! If I worked somewhere else though, I'd bring a common pony that I liked but wouldn't be heartbroken if someone snagged it. Just enough to brighten my day every time I looked at it! Or if I was really worried about theft, maybe a sticker or 2.

Post Merge: February 06, 2022, 04:29:26 PM

When I was on the main desk downstairs, sometimes one of them would leave his ebay account logged in when we switched over to cover breaks. He shouldn't have had ebay open, but that's another matter. I got sick of it so I added a pony to his watchlist to remind him he ought to take care of his security xD. He never did it again.

That's hilarious!  :lol: Sounds like he got the point.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 04:29:26 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline lowpolyzoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Star Catcher Appreciator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 12:28:15 AM »
My current job is WFH but my favourite ponies to have on my desk are Star Catcher, Marshmellow Cocoa and Triple Treat. I also have a g4.5 Rarity

Unfortunately it seems like more and more companies are moving to hotdesking rather than giving employees their own desk so I'd very much like to have a couple ponies on my desk if I could. I think Minty might be nice to have on my desk, though :)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 06:49:36 PM »
When I worked for a pepper processing plant, I brought in a blind bag G4 Pepperdance for my desk since I thought it was cute how she matched where I worked. No one ever messed with her, but maybe it was because she was so small and easily overlooked. Maybe a blind bag would be a good choice since they're cheap, easy to find and don't take up much space?

Offline StarryEmerald24

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 07:08:03 PM »
I don't have any pony related thing decorating my office now, other than some of my own fan art among some pictures of family and friends. I used to have fan made lenticular G4 pony cards on battery powered swinging machines on my shelf until the batteries died and I didn't feel like replacing them. Occasionally when I'm at the front desk I even draw ponies and slap them on the walls in there; only admin sees it and she finds it entertaining.

One day when I was working retail I got ahold of a small Applejack plush that we were selling and stuck it on the top of my cash register monitor for a little while, though!

I don't think I would want my ponies on my desk now since I like having space to move things around, and nowadays I need all the space I can get.

I do agree, though, if anyone does bring ponies to work, they should be replaceable ones. You never know what can happen.

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 10:50:14 PM »
I'd say a good rule of thumb for stuff like this is, don't bring in anything valuable/difficult to replace or anything you would be super upset about if it got lost/damaged/messed up/etc.

Agreed. I don't work in an office, so my ponies,other toys etc. are only on my desk at home. However, for a few years my husband did work in an office cubical type situation and besides items on his desk he also had some stuff thumb-tacked to a cork board. During that time a few things did wander away, not by other coworkers, but during the night time when the cleaning company would come through that was contracted to clean the building.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal