collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which pony is your favorite?

Sarahlacewing
12 (13.6%)
Ambar_Jul
10 (11.4%)
Saja
3 (3.4%)
Gotbunny
26 (29.5%)
assassin_kitty
11 (12.5%)
Murbella64
4 (4.5%)
Kalavista
6 (6.8%)
Tsukikakushi
16 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 23, 2012, 06:33:08 AM

Author Topic: TOP CUSTOMIZER ROUND 2- VOTING NOW- TWO DAYS ONLY!!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
TOP CUSTOMIZER ROUND 2- VOTING NOW- TWO DAYS ONLY!!
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »
Sorry everyone for the delay in posting! Here are the entries for round 2. Unfortunately one of our contestants had to drop out due to injury, and another failed to turn in their entry by midnight. That will be counted as our elimination for the week. Again, the rest of the contestants are safe, for the time being.

Here was the assignment:

ASSIGNMENT-

Recycle/Upcycle! Use items in your household that would normally be thrown away- for example- cotton balls, newspapers, popcan tabs. Show us how you can make a fabulous pony out of trash for a low budget! These items MUST be visible on your pony. You can use regular items such as paint and hair, but you must use something recycled/upcycled.

You must include a paragraph explaining what you used and how you used it.

Your pony may be any generation you wish it to be :) Adults or babies :)

Good luck!!! :D

Now on to the entries!! Please vote for your favorite pony that you feel best incorporated this week's theme.

Sarahlacewing:

"Have you ever seen something shiny laying on the ground or the floor and it calls out to you?  For some reason, it’s the most beautiful little trinket you’ve ever seen.  To everyone else it may be nothing more than trash; it’s a long lost something or other.  But to you it twinkles in your gaze.  And from the moment you pick it up both of you feel like you have found a missing part of yourself.  With that thought in mind I’m happy to introduce Steam Junk.  She is loosely steam punk inspired.  Her hat and bracers are made from an old pop can.  Her skirt is inlay with random washers/springs/bolts/tin foil/bra snaps/broken jewelry that I had donated to my junk drawer. The cogs are a mix, some I bought some I have no idea where they came from. Re-haired with scraps of midnight and snow witch.  "

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ambar_Jul
-

"this girl was pure garbage lol, well she was a very damaged bait with legs and ears bitten to the point that I had to amputate some  parts. i used parts from an old  cell phone, two pairs of broken headphones simulating the mechanisms and wiring, you can see it in the neck,legs and one ear, a broken LED light Earring for one eye and a half of an aluminum cans wich i cut into small pieces to cover their legs and back
painted with acrylics and added some crystals
i would say she was easy to make and very fun, but a lot of different from the initial idea. Her name is XIA means Xperimental Intelligent Android :biggrin:  i used hot glue to paste the parts and a bit of epoxie to cover mistakes and give more stability"

Saja-
 "When I was reading the new assignment, I happened to be eating Cadbury Mini  Twirls, I went to throw the rappers in the bin, and thought, why not! So went looking for a bait, and this flutter was jumping up an down wanting a new look, so here she is. Her tail and wings are felt backed onto wire for posability, and covered with cut feathers made from the Cadbury twirl mini wrappers. "

gotbunny

"On the assignment I wanted to use as much recycled stuff as I could and very little paint or hair. So into the trash bin I dived and items retrieved where: single FIM packaging, newpaper, dental floss,. tin foil, candy wrappers, broken beads, buttons, fake flowers, twisty ties, strawberry carton, chewed ice cream cone eraser, bent paperclip, chunk of foam, blue plastic bag and one very chewed hind end Star Catcher. The result was Blue Wake.
 I started off using the paperclip to hold the foam in place as the amature for the tail covered it with tinfoil and hooked the fins on that I had cut out of the strawberry carton. Each fin was slightly melted and airbrushed.  Next was many layers of scales from Nestle candy egg wrappers. Each scale was hand punched out of the wrappers. Instead of using regular hair, I used dental floss instead.
Her base started as the FIM single plastic packaging that I covered with the newpaper, some old beads to look like barnicles, 2 buttons to make a clam shell. The top of the crewed eraser as a shell,  Green twisty ties as plants and a branch of fake flower. I used the blue plastic bag the tipped it with white paint to look like waves. Hence Blue Wake as created.
 Enjoy,"

assassin_kitty

"This is Agnes the junk collector, anyone familiar with the film the Labyrinth or the artwork of Brian Froud might recognise her! I thought she would be the perfect custom for this project as the character spends her time collecting junk and odds and ends around the Labyrinth. I have used all sorts of stuff to make her, all the junk on her back is made mostly from rubbish she has a frying pan and brass plate made from bottle caps, a bronze helm made from the plastic part of a kinder egg, a sword made from some cat food tins and apoxie, a shield made from a worn out sanding disk, a satchel made from a scrap of fabric, a book made from cardboard and some really old business cards and a little fish whose base was a plastic ringpull from a drink. Her hair was a small bundle of wool i found that I was going to dye and spin into a ball but there just wasn't enough of it. This custom is quite the rubbish collector, even the texture on her tail and dress was made from old fabric and left over wire mesh parts."

Murbella64

"Stitch n'...Complain Profusely

This little rainbow zebra came about when two other ideas just flatlined.  I was digging through my big sewing box, looking for buttons when I found the answer to my dilemma.  I used to cross stitch.  There were tons of bits and bobs left over of a multitude of colors that I never thought I'd ever use again.  Of course, you never throw that away.  They're all too pretty.  It is always in the back of your mind though when you get the notion to "clean house" because when can you ever use such small amounts again?  At first, she looked a bit...naughty (can I say bondage?).  But then her apperance rounded out looking homey and a bit ethnic and I knew I picked the right material.  She was a green glitter fakie with a lot of drip lines.  Her colors are derived from whatever DMC embroidery floss I had left from 1994, the last year I x-stitched and she took a whole week of obsessive crocheting to obtain her final look."

Kalavista

"Chromica Disco was created from bits of broken CD pieces, cut and attached with Krazyglue, and given a glitter coating. She is rehaired with Retro Dolls US Quiksilver and Frost Twinkle. Her eyes are painted and glittered with acrylics.
The CD that was broken to create her was a "mix tape" I made of Green Day songs, back in the autumn of 2005. It didn't work anymore, and was headed for the trash - plus it was a bittersweet reminder of a failed romance and the loss of one of my best friends. I still love Green Day; though every time I hear their songs, so many painful memories come flooding back. So now, the pieces of those songs have created a new work of art to represent me in my new life, with new friends and a loving husband."

Tsukikakushi

"I'm a major book hoarder. Some of them aren't in the best of shape, & even though I may have gotten better copies somewhere down the line I can't bear myself to throw them away. So this pony is a bit of a compromise. Torn/missing pages, stains, no cover; this poor book was falling apart. But a little bit of modge podge, paint, & love breathed new life into it. Every inch of her body is covered with lines from The First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks. The mane & tail are pencil shavings (to go with the writing theme). Her symbol was actually on a piece of stationary I had written notes on years ago, and a little 'ink' splatter for effect."

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:08:26 PM by enchantress41580 »

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
Re: TOP CUSTOMIZER ROUND 2- VOTING NOW- TWO DAYS ONLY!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:40:51 AM »
This was a tough one but I couldn't help but vote for Tsukikakushi. :) Love the entire concept and using pencil shavings for hair is just brilliant!
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Kimmers4Ever

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »
Aw man... I'm not sure how I want to vote! So many brilliant ideas and fantastic use of up cycling.  I'll have to ponder on this.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »
Woah everyone did a great job this round! I think I may love them all.  Voters, you have your work cut out for you this time.  Te he.  I hope everyone had as much fun as I did making them. 

Edit: Enchantress are you feeling better today?  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:02:57 AM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
not really hun, but thank-you for asking  :hug:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
Yikes!  That was a painful vote!  There were 3 or 4 in a dead tie to me.  A few thoughts, take or leave :lovey:

SLW: I adore her details!  I really love her bracers and goggles!  I think you did a fab job!  While her colors are lovely, the blue is a tad overwhelming for me.  A softer color would have pushed the details further.

Ambar: She is stunning!  I love love the amputated bits, it really gives the pony a lot of depth.  Your use of materials is spot on!  One consideration, how would she be displayed? Her head angle puts the delicately painted eye in an interesting, but maybe hard to display, area.

Saja: I really adore the colors you chose on this gal.  They are very elegant colors and while the wrapper is totally visible, the pony still has such stunning bright colors!  I wonder if there would be a way to tie in the bold patterning of the wrappers to the relatively blank area of the pony?  Or to perhaps soften the transition by painting on the wrappers with a paint near to the pony color? (I'm sure the wrappers would be tricky to actually paint, just brainstorming).

Gotbunny:  You turned so many bits into a gorgeous, finished piece.  I cannot get over her tail!  Those scales are beyond awesome!  I love the water effect of her base and the colors/textures of her fins.  Another stunner!  Your use of materials (dental floss hair?!) is very impressive.  While I love her base, when she is on it there is so much going on that it is hard to appreciate a lot of her fine details.  Just a thought.

Assassin_kitty: Holy cow you really tied the challenge together well with your personal theme!  She is a complete package with amazing details!  That fish! Love!  One question, is her tail like a lizard tail thing?  Or is that piece part of her treasures?  I'm not sure why, but I can't tell in the pics (maybe I'm blind :P )

Murbella:  What a fun and festive pony!  I'm sure a lot of time went into her!  Her colors work really well together and she has a happy, cozy feeling.  This week's theme was upcycled trash.  While you mention that the thread was leftover thread, it doesn't really feel like trash.  Maybe including a different material for the eyes or symbol would have really tied her into the theme.

Kalavista: I love her soft colors, I'm sure she really shimmers in life!  It seems like creating her was good for the soul, and that's an important part of art.  While she is pretty and does meet the theme, some of the other ponies have a lot more detail and personality to them. 

Tsuki: Pencil shaving hair?!  I swoon.  I really, really love her design.  Well conceived and executed.  The print is very interesting all over her body.  I wonder about her symbol though, while it is cool, it almost competes too much with the text. 

I loved each and every entry!!  I honestly tried to find something to encourage growth on with each pony, but it was HARD!  Stunning work ladies!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »
You guys are all insane o_o that is all.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »
not really hun, but thank-you for asking  :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that.  It's no fun trying to press on and get everything finished up when you aren't feeling well. Let me know if there is anything I can do.  I am getting fairly pregnant so I understand how it feels to have like 1,000 things to do that you don't feel like doing.

Colorscapesart thank you for your critique! I feel like everyone's comments really do help me to grow and improve. 

Edit: I am curious where we will go from here.  Watch out assignment 3 everyone is improving!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:38:31 AM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
wow. just wow. these competitors are really in this! everything is amazing!

Sarah- i adore her! steampunk will always steal my heart tho. i love your description and the little story about lost treasures. i feel the same way! i think she came together really well

ambar- i have a pony like this in the works too! but... she'll never compare. she is stunning and so carefully done. her details aren't overwhelming at all and really help to make her a true piece of art!

saja- what an amazing idea! and to add the wires to make it posable is genious. i love the colors used, she makes me want to have her on display at easter! lol

gotbunny- wow! she is amazing and you've used so many recycled materials! the concept is amazing and then you pulled it off really well. i like her base, her tail, everything! there is so much going on it's hard to pick out just one thing to look at!

AK- awesome! just an amazing use of items and talent and creativity. i really like that you've taken this theme and made a character from it. and what better character? lol. well done! i love her details!

murabella- i have those scraps too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! except i embroider occasionally still. great use of a fakie! i think it's amazing and really creative!. i love her mane and tail too!

kala- sometimes simple is a good thing. she really is stunning as she is, and i applaud bringing your feelings out and "recycling" them as well. i do think there was a good chance for details missed. but in the end she still looks very much like a kala custom ^_^

tsuki- lol, i have a similar pony planned! and a great book was used here! the pencil shaving are a great and unique material for her hair! a very unique piece with a lot of effort!

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
Wow- these were amazing!

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
Wow...there are like three that really stand out for me.  Side note ~ The pencil shavings is an amazing idea!  Tuff set to judge. Pat yourself on the back everyone, they look great!

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline ViciousJupiter

• Trade Count: (+167)
  • OOooOO Shiney!
    • View Profile
    • Vicious Studios
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Seriously fantastic job on this one!  It's sooo hard to pick!  You each picked such unique items, how can I choose one over the other?  I'm gonna have to think on it
~Feel free to remind me to leave you feedback!  I'm forgetful!~

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
Wow, amazing work everyone!
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
omg girls i hate you!!!
all of your customs are so perfect and adorable!!!
i submit my vote, but i would wish to vote for at least 3 of yours!!!
Saja i love your custom, her eyes!!!
Assassin :faint:
everyone did so great job, all those ideas!!!
Enchantress i hope you´ll :) be healthy very soon sweety
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:05:20 AM by ambar_jul »

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
They are all wonderful so hard to choose, in the end I am truly in love with Jul's one!!!
And Kala...Kitty...OMG Murbella one is so particular...Can I vote them all? LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal