collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HELP! Mysteriously Ruined doll..fear for others..Is this mold?  (Read 409 times)

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
Since I've been away this week I've been storing all my completed projects together in a white tissue lined cardboard box...Nobody's faces have been touching the sides bottom or top of the box, and nobody has had their faces touching another doll...Or pony...And this particular doll has never been wet...She's been mine since she was new in the box eight months ago. She's sat in a plastic container, open to the air, ever since I got her, with a few other bait dolls on a shelf in my room. We have air conditioning..The doll has never been too hot, or too cold, or wet...But suddenly, after the better part of a week, she looks like this...and one other doll is showing one faint spot atop her brow...Both of these dolls were already sold. I'm horrified. I've never had this happen, no matter what I stored ponies and dolls in. Now I'm terrified the other customs in the box will end up with it as well. How likely is that? i want to quarentine everyone, but I don't know the best way to do that...If they have mold I'd rather know sooner than later, so I was considering putting them in sealed plastic bags, which I was told I shouldn't do...But I'd rather know now than after Is end them. I just am at a loss...I'm going to try to remake this doll, but this person bought another doll that was in this box, a trade pony was in this box, a couple of unfinished customs, and another sold doll as well...What do I do guys? I need help! I just wanna cry ;.;
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: HELP! Mysteriously Ruined doll..fear for others..Is this mold?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
oh wow. that does look like mold to me. I am so sorry!

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
HI, oh i am sorry to here about your doll!  was her face / body totally repainted?  or did you use the original skin of your doll?
I ask because if it was  repainted it is possible you contaminated your paint some how.  mold will grow or bloom out of acrylic paint if  it has been contaminated.

I also wonder about the cardbord box,  maybe there was already some mold in the box?  did you reuse a box that was  used for something else? Or could the box have been stored in a basement , garage or attic for a period of time, where it could have picked up mold?

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
It looks like pindot mold...?  :huh:

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
The dolls skin is the original color, I did not repaint her face, just her eyes and lips. The box was from amazon..I recieved it probably a week or two before now..It was never wet so far as I knew, and nothing packaged in it seemed damaged. The inside of the box looks clear and clean as day, and smells normal too. I can't figure it out. :/ Does anyone know...I had a white doll in the box that has one tiny spot that showing up but is much lighter than this..Is there anything I can do to keep it from progressing?
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »
I read that someone had good luck with a needle and acetone for getting rid of mold spots.  They dipped the needle in acetone and then pushed it into the mold pore and wiggled it.  I've never tried it so your mileage may vary.  To kill the mold and keep it from spreading do a diluted bleach wash with cool or cold water-not hot (it makes the bleach not as effective) and let dry thoroughly.  I'm so sorry this happened.
glory
Glory78

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
hi again,
 hmm you can try scrubbing her with sorftscrub and hot water.  i have had good luck getting pindot out of ponies this way.   The hot water tends to open the pores of the plastic or something.
   Could another doll or object that was stored with her been exposed to mold?

It really sucks that this happened.. i donno what to say... mold had to get in there from some where.. :cry:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
I thought bleach was bad for vinyl and that you should use oxyclean?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal