collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Porous ponies?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Porous ponies?
« on: September 17, 2023, 06:31:47 AM »
I'm making a custom for a contest and ran into an unexpected problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything like this before.

I'm using a G1 bait that was really discoloured and also suffered from a terrible case of ingrained dirt. I soaked her in boiling water with laundry detergent and that seemed to help a lot. However, I didn't bother to try and get all the ingrained dirt out - I figured it wouldn't matter since I was going to give her a full body repaint anyway. Well, I painted a few layers, let her sit overnight and today I noticed that the paint has tiny little holes in it.  :shocked: 

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas what might cause it? At the moment I'm just wondering if it's simply that the plastic is porous and the paint won't get into the tiny, tiny holes so they show up. (The lighting conditions were not ideal yesterday. when I started painting her so I may have just missed it.) But I'm also a bit worried it might be something like plasticiser leak. I just hope it won't ruin my paintwork over time!  :huh:

I'm short-pressed for time so I can't really switch baits right now. So I guess I'll just finish her for the contest and hope for the best, I'm probably going to keep her anyway, at least until I know she's not going to deteriorate over time. Which is kind of sad because I rarely make customs for sale anymore and a convention would be an ideal place to sell. Oh well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Porous ponies?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 07:33:33 AM »
Since you painted her already I'd just continue.

I did have this problem with a personal custom on a Sweetheart Sister bait. It was all of her back, left pock marks in the paint. I was keeping her so I just did strategic photos. As far as I know she hasn't gotten any worse.

I think if it was plasticizer leak on holes of that size, you would have noticed the stickiness.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
Thanks BC, that's encouraging to hear! Sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the results on your pony, though. I agree, if it was plasticiser leak she would be sticky, which she isn't.

I'm trying to dab some well-thinned paint into the holes. Luckily I'm planning quite extensive detail painting so I'm sure the holes won't be noticeable any more once she's finished, as long as the pony won't become any more holey in the future, that is. :D

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:38:44 AM »
I'm sure it will be fine :) Some ponies just have bigger pores, especially when they've been filled with gunk. Just like people :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal