collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dyeing ponies with RIT dye - tips and advice?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline shes-so-unusual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • Lifelong Pony Lover! G1 Obsessed
    • View Profile
Dyeing ponies with RIT dye - tips and advice?
« on: June 16, 2023, 11:51:12 AM »
Hey y'all!
I'm about to make my first two customs (Hanukkah and Passover themed so we can have some funky pony holiday displays in our home) but I'm hoping to dye them with RIT dye to change the color. I'm using the Synthetic DyeMore kind after looking on the MLP Restoration Tips and Tricks page. However, I wanted to ask if I should also buy the ColorStay Dye Fixative. If you think dyeing is a bad idea (or have any tips on maintaining the color of the dye) I'd definitely appreciate it. :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Dyeing ponies with RIT dye - tips and advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 02:29:02 PM »
I've only used the powder RIT, they didn't have dyemore back then (gosh I sound old...). The dyemore is supposed to be a lot better.

Hmm, if it were me, I would get the fixative. Just to be sure it will stick to the vinyl.

You can paint a little white on the rump after it's dyed, to gauge how much it might bleed. I waited at least a year before I used any of my dyed baits, and to be honest I still have some laying around.

But... I think paint is a better choice. Dyeing can have long term problems. You don't need expensive paints either. I use craft paint mostly, either FolkArt or Apple Barrel. The trick of getting a nice smooth finish is painting thin layers. Invest in a good brush but again, it doesn't have to be super pricey. I get my brushes from either Blick Art Materials or Amazon. Like a 5-7 dollar synthetic round brush is good. You don't need a $20 one.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you'll post your customs when they're done :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 02:34:19 PM »
When dyeing, mix, & keep mixing. Also check the shade regularly. You can always add, but never take away.
After dyeing: cold rinse, then hot rinse, then cold rinse some more, & ALWAYS HOT RINSE YOUR TOOLS!!! (tongs, pan, etc). Set dyed item aside for a week or two, not touching anything else the dye can hit, then check again. Repeat if necessary.
And let me know how the fixative works xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline shes-so-unusual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • Lifelong Pony Lover! G1 Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »
Thank y'all! I think I've decided to go with painting as I'm a little worried about storing the dyed ponies (since I move semi-frequently.. college life things) but I appreciate the help :P hopefully I will try the fixative at some point anyway! To add on, does anyone have advice on dyeing hair or do the same rules generally apply?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 08:15:14 PM by shes-so-unusual »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 05:53:37 AM »
Dyeing hair is much easier. I just did some the other day, with the powder RIT (I have so much of it...). You only need a little bit to start. Dip the hair in, wait a few seconds then check it. If it's not dark or bright enough add some more dye. Then rinse with cold water and let it dry. Then shampoo and condition like normal. Let dry again. And that's it!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 05:29:03 AM »
As BC said, dyeing hair is easy & quick!!! Never takes more than a few seconds & is awesome!!! It's brilliant for dip-dye effects too
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal