collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Preparing for my first custom...!  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Vixenfur

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • Take a Step and Fall into the Glitter
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Preparing for my first custom...!
« on: June 05, 2023, 07:48:45 PM »
Hi everyone~

I want to make a custom of my OC, Rhapsody! I was going to try and commission her, and I still might do that too, just for fun... but I think it would be more exciting and special if I made her myself.

I can browse other forum posts like I have been for links to tools and where to buy hair, of course, but I wanted to post and see if I could get any second opinions based on her design on what I should do... here she is:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My main thing is the hair, I love her hair looking thick, spikey and punkā€”not sticking straight out or anything but I definitely want that cool look. Any tips for what type of hair to get? Do you think Nylon would work best or should I try for Kiwi or anything else?  :brow:

I'll likely use clay to make the fetlocks (saw a tutorial on youtube that looks doable!) and follow the gradient paint tutorial for her legs (they are gradient, i just couldn't do it very smoothly with my markers  :) practice makes perfect). And of course, tiny detail brushes for her markings and cutie mark and all that. My main dilemma is just deciding what type of hair to get and what might look best with her metal style.

Thanks for chiming in if you have any recs! Also, I'll be working with a G4 pony. I have a bait G4 Alicorn with me ready to go!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Preparing for my first custom...!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »
Wow, what a cool OC! You definitely should go with nylon hair. There is a way you could cut it to give it the look you're going for, but it's hard to do. If you have something to practice with, like bait ponies, you could give it a try. You need to cut the hair at an angle in short snips going up from the bottom. It's tricky, so you might not want to try just yet. I would not recommend practicing with new hair. Nylon can be expensive.

Shimmerlocks is on vacation until the 8th, a couple more days. I would get your hair from there :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
Re: Preparing for my first custom...!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 08:14:05 AM »
Like BC said, super cool design!

Whether you go with nylon or something like brushed yarn depends on the finished look that you want.

For instance, these two ponies were rehaired with nylon:

This pony was done with brushed yarn:

And this pony was done with roving (basically fiber that hasn't been spun into yarn yet):

So if you want to be very precise and have a lot of control over individual hairs I would definitely go with nylon.  If you want the hair to be a bit messier, poufy and chaotic then I would go with brushed yarn or roving.

Hope that helps!  Can't wait to see what you do!  :D

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal