collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I buy this pony?  (Read 674 times)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Should I buy this pony?
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:39:34 AM »
So here's this sweet little Bow Tie. (It's my birthday tomorrow and i'm using that as an excuse to buy ponies, hehe.)

The other night I was reading an archived thread on pony cancer/mould/plasticiser breakdown, all sorts of horrors to give you nightmares for years, so I may be a little paranoid.  The spot on her leg's hardly noticeable, but from what I read it can spread to the rest of the pony and get worse over time, and is one of the signs of the apocalypse.  Please tell me it's okay and she'll be just fine and live happily ever after.

Do you buy ponies with spots, or avoid at all costs?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:41:12 AM by daffodil101 »

divalei

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Should I buy this pony?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:25 AM »
I would buy that Bow Tie.

Do you buy ponies with spots, or avoid at all costs?

It depends. Minor flaws are okay to me but if the spots are too big (and the pony is common) I probably wouldn't buy. If the pony with major flaws is uncommon, I might consider buying it.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »
That is not bad at all! :)

Offline bubbles171

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Thank you so much shiverdam my 2 loves combined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
Me I try to avoid it but I am picky. It does not spread fast and you can do things to help like boil it or was that for mold have to look. I think it is pony mold you have to worry about it can transfer to other ponies. I have some expensive ones so I  just keep them in bags away from my collection. I would say this is not bad get it but bow tie can be common one you could wait for one in better shape if that is what you like. depends on what bowtie it is.

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
I try to avoid them for the most part but I have come to realize they aren't all that bad. At first I wanted nothing to do with any pony that had spots but now I have a couple Big Brothers with some minor spots and they really don't bother me anymore. It kind of makes me happy that I am giving them a good home  :blush: ....but I can be sentimental when it comes to my collectibles. I think that as long as it isn't very expensive you should get it. Then once you have the pony if it really bothers you...you could always re sell and get a different one.

As far as keeping it with your other ponies I have heard both sides. Some people say it doesn't spread pony to pony and others say it does. I honestly don't believe it does...I keep all mine together but hey I could be wrong so that decision is up to you. Happy Birthday by the way :woohoo:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:00:05 AM by Gloomygirl777 »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
I think its been concluded that it doesn't spread but if the ponies are kept in less than optimal conditions, it can get worse and look like it's spreading.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
First...Happy Birthday :)

Second...I think as long as you pay a fair value for her with the issue and you love her and want her..go for it!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
If the price is okay, buy her and treat her to halt the progression.
should be perma-moderated

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Lol,

That's not bad.  The way I always look at it, is if that's how bad the spot is after 30 years, then in another 30 years it still won't be too bad!

:birthday:

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
If it's a G1 and it's not super expensive, I would always buy it, regardless of condition (unless it was so bad it was no longer recognizable as a pony...). It might just need some TLC, but I'd probably go for it.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
I think treating yourself for your birthday with ponies is a wonderful idea. I used mine this year to justify some goodies, including a Y2 Sea Pony and Italian Wavedancer, my first nirvana. :frolic: Happy birthday! :hug: :sparkle:

Personally, I would buy that pony because I had to squint to even see the spot in the first place. If it's not that noticeable, it doesn't really bother me. Plus, that's on the NDS, so if you pose her for pictures, you most likely will be able to hide the spot. Toys don't last forever, and she honestly looks great for her age. :)

Good luck on your birthday ponies!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:45 AM »
Thank you guys!  great advice :good: 

Lol,

That's not bad.  The way I always look at it, is if that's how bad the spot is after 30 years, then in another 30 years it still won't be too bad!

:birthday:

I guess, how much can plastic really degrade?  It has been about 30 years, so you'd think that if problems were going to occur, they'd have shown their face by now.  It takes eons for plastic to properly biodegrade in landfill, so i guess there's the long term (however many thousand years) and the short term (what we can see).  It's not the whole structure of the plastic decomposing, just problems in the plastic that probably stemmed from issues in manufacture (like regrind and susceptibility to mould) that don't take that long to present themselves when exposed to the right environmental factors. 

I think FarDreamer's right - whatever's going to happen has probably happened already, more or less.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal