collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you open G3s for display?  (Read 525 times)

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Would you open G3s for display?
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
I had a whole room for my collection before children. Now I have a closet. I have had ponies in storage for three years. Should I open my G3 ponies so I can display them? Storage is not climate controlled. It is in a barn! What would you do. BTW all my favorites are mostly opened anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Would you open G3s for display?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
That's what I did, opened them up :)

I wanted loose G3 unicorns, so I found  cheapest ones (some just so happened to be boxed) and I deboxed them.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, the *only* G3s I still have in their packages are the HTFs that I have that came in bags.  Part of keeping them in their bags is to preserve their value, protect them better and because I can still nestle them beside others of their pose without taking up more space than necessary.  BUT I also collect almost strictly loose.  If when you think of your collection, you see ponies MIP, then I'd say don't open them; that's how some people prefer to collect.  I'm not sure how full your closet display is, but would you be able to still "display" them by stacking them four or five boxes deep? (As in, push them all the way to the back of the wall and layer them forward?)  That would allow you to get them out of the barn and you could always rotate who's in the front to see them :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »
 I would, and did.  There were far more people in "collector" mode when they came out versus when G1 came out, so more people bought them to keep them MIB, and there are now so many MIBs floating around they're hardly more expensive than a nice loose one in most cases. 

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I debox my G3s.  I have to admit, the "new pony" feeling when I opened my first mib G3 I found ages after they were out of stores was pretty awesome!  ^.^

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
I would, and did.  There were far more people in "collector" mode when they came out versus when G1 came out, so more people bought them to keep them MIB, and there are now so many MIBs floating around they're hardly more expensive than a nice loose one in most cases.
This is so true...I never looked at it this way  :blush:
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
Well, I have a lot of. G3 ponies so I would not be able to have anything that looks nice without deboxing. There isn't room. I have two big shelves for G3 and the rest I the room is G1. I have a lot of holiday ponies in boxes. I guess I need to see if any are duplicates before I open them. I don't think I will be worried about value as I agree that there were many collecting as they were released. Honestly, they are so much prettier out of the box with styled hair. So my decision is to open what is not a duplicate and store duplicates in the barn! Although I will keep my babies in the box, disney ponies, breezies, and anything else that might not take up too much space or is more valuable.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
When I was collecting G3s when they where new, I only kept three MIB. A Target exclusive Valentine pony,Star Shimmer, and Desert Bloom. Because each of them had been gifts. The rest of mine where free range.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
I would not open them but that is just me. I love to keep my ponies in there boxes. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »
Skeen summed it up perfectly. A lot of ponies turn up as much MIB as they do loose; because when G3s were on shelves there were a lot of collectors and therefore many of us purchased and kept them MIB. Unless its a particularly hard to find or popular pony, I would and have happily taken mine out of the packages.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal