collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 523
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Poll

What's your favorite MLP generation?

G1
33 (67.3%)
G1 Tales
0 (0%)
G2
3 (6.1%)
G3
9 (18.4%)
G3.5
0 (0%)
G4
4 (8.2%)
G4.5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: March 02, 2021, 09:30:15 AM

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite MLP Generation?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: What's Your Favorite MLP Generation?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
G2, though that's by far nostalgia--it was my childhood generation, and MM Ivy was my only MLP for a very long time. G1's definitely a close second, though!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 09:07:13 PM »
G3 for me! They were my childhood gen, and to me their designs still hold up beautifully! G1 is certainly a close second though!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline dannahbanana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Instagram 💖
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
When I started out collecting, I thought that I would only be interested in collecting G1 and G3. G1 is my favorite of the two. As I have been collecting however, I have gradually began to admire G2s, which I didn't have even the slightest interest in before. But now I love them! I also didn't expect to love fakies, but I am OBSESSED with fakies now. If I see them on Mercari or in a store I can't help but adopt them.   :inlove:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 01:03:41 AM »
On most MLP sites I see, the people love G4 and despise G3, and think G1 isn't very good. It's great to finally find people that enjoy the same gens I do!

Those would be brony sites. That explains a lot. A good rule of thumb is to ignore bronies when they talk about older generations. For some reason there's a deep rooted insecurity in that community that can't stand the idea there were ponies before G4, and so they feel a need to denigrate or omit older generations.

The Arena is part of the original online pony community, pre-G4. In this space people like a variety of generations, but most of us have been here since pre-G4 or have been corrupted since G4 to the older generations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:05:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 04:39:36 AM »
Definitely G3 - it's the most beautifully designed and animated in my opinion, and it's really heart-warmingly adorable.  I'm more experienced with the shows, but I have looked at the toys and they are beautifully designed too - I literally refer to G3 as "The Beautiful Generation".

G4 comes close, as it is my favorite TV show of all (G3, as far as I can see, doesn't really count as a "TV Show" due to how I'm sure it was released, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), it means a lot to me, and I love the Mane Six along with various other characters.  I feel the show became a bit of a mess in places during the latter seasons, but I still have nostalgia for those seasons (they just weren't as good) though I feel it was closer to earlier MLP in the earlier seasons, including G3.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 04:40:58 AM »
I like the toys for G3 the most but I like Tales the cartoon a lot! Was a little sad to see no votes for that one :(

Pretty sure that's because most people count Tales under g1. No need to choose between non-Tales g1 and Tales, IMO! Unless we're purely talking about the different TV shows. :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 04:51:53 AM »
I like the toys for G3 the most but I like Tales the cartoon a lot! Was a little sad to see no votes for that one :(

Pretty sure that's because most people count Tales under g1. No need to choose between non-Tales g1 and Tales, IMO! Unless we're purely talking about the different TV shows. :)

I had the impression the OP meant toylines. Otherwise there'd be no reason to include G2.

It's just a misconception on the part of the OP.  A lot of collectors who come to MLP from G4 pick up a lot of misconceptions about older generations from the fact FIM is so integral to G4. The idea that that's a G4 only thing, and that the TV show wasn't really important to older generations compared with the toyline is a bit harder to get your head around if you've spent time only listening to the FIM fandom. But G1-3 are toyline first, thus Tales is part of G1.

I also agree G3 is hardly a TV series. The only time I've seen an episode on TV was actually in Portugal in 2017. Otherwise it was just on DVD releases.

Although mind you, the G1 series was also only on VHS releases when I was a kid. The first I knew of them being on TV was in 1995, after MLP ended, and then they aired all of the eps from RaMC through Tales without distinguishing between different shows.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 06:15:59 AM »
I like G1 and G3, G2 took a long time to grow on me, but now I also like them.  I don't know if I will ever love G4
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 08:40:44 AM »
G1 hands down, although it also includes Tales anyway. I love everything about G1, all of the animation, the toys, the magazines, the audio recordings etc.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
Re: What\'s Your Favorite MLP Generation?
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 08:51:28 AM »
I think G1 has to be my overall favorite. There are just so many ponies, with very unique and beautiful designs, and they have such a sweet and timeless feel. Being a 2000's kid, I also adore G3, as they remind me of my childhood, and have a wide variety of different ponies to collect.
I liked G4 up to season 5 of FIM, and the toys were cute before they switched to the reboot design in 2017, but they can't stack up to 1 and 3 in my opinion.

G2's are fine, but I don't really have an interest in collecting them, and I don't like either of the .5 gens.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
G1 and Tales are my favorite for viewing and collecting too. Never got into other gens animation...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 07:45:09 AM »
On most MLP sites I see, the people love G4 and despise G3, and think G1 isn't very good. It's great to finally find people that enjoy the same gens I do!

I think you will find the MLPTP to be a fun website too.

TheRoundStable is more balanced and relaxed, if not as active.

Sorry, but brony sites are mostly full of immature, insecure gen snobs. They are the loud minority, regardless of what they tell themselves. Their opinions don't reflect much of the broader community.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:57:43 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: What\'s Your Favorite MLP Generation?
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »
G1 is what I grew up with and is dearest to my heart.
G3 is second fave, its so beautiful.

I feel the same!

Me too!  :)

Post Merge: February 02, 2021, 02:25:17 PM

Admittedly you did include it under G1, but it makes me really uncomfortable seeing Tales segregated from the rest of G1 in the poll. It really should not be - the ponies from Tales were sold at the end of G1 in Europe and the UK alongside other ponies available in the years earlier.

I think G2 is also not obscure because it doesn't have a TV show. I think it's because the US axed it very early in production. Here in Europe it had a longer run and was more successful. I'm not sure why you wouldn't include it..? It's pretty normal to include it, isn't it?

I agree, separate Tales doesn't make any sense, they are regular G1s (I only speak of the toys, as I've never watched a single MLP animation film).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:25:17 PM by IceCrystal02 »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 04:43:55 PM »
G1 is my favorite, with G3 as a close second. They're close to being tied, but G1 beats out G3 for me for having better balance between the types of ponies (I think G3 should have had more pegasi and especially more unicorns), and the Core 7 era of G3 brings it down a little bit. I like all of them though!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 09:01:23 PM »
I had G1 when I was a younger youth, and got back into pony collecting at the start of G3. I love both of these generations fiercely, and I have grown a huge affection for G2.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal