collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Safely displaying ponies with accessories?  (Read 240 times)

Offline starryeyed

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • seapony in the clouds
    • View Profile
Safely displaying ponies with accessories?
« on: May 20, 2022, 04:17:02 PM »
How long exactly is it safe to display a pony with a saddle/headgear/etc without risking saddle sores? Is it something that only happens after several years? Is there a safe vs unsafe way to display them, like what if I put a bit of tissue in between the pony and the accessory?

The pony in question (hope it's ok to discuss if she's a fakie), who looks WAY better with her accessories than without:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Safely displaying ponies with accessories?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 05:16:46 PM »
Oh she is too pretty! It is, as long as whatever she's got on doesn't stain.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
Maybe a saddle blanket made of acid free tissue paper? Parts like this do interact chemically, but I've not thought about metallic finishes before so I can't really guess what would happen over time. Plastics are a bit of an unknown thing in conservation terms, which for me is part of the fun. Toy museums do store plastic dolls and thier accessories seperately unless they are on display. I'd say go for it but check her every few months and make sure that the overall storage conditions are good (low UV, low humidity, stable temperature). I tend to rotate my display every year or so and check through things.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 06:23:12 PM »
Ooh, complete chap mei, very nice!

With chap mei's, I've found that they do stain VERY easily. Like from when I first bought mine in the 90's, straight out of the box, stained. However, in saying that, It does seem to be the metallic pink/red accessories that are the main culprits. As you know, the necklaces aren't removable, and I haven't seen one of this girl with any staining, and I've had a few. However, lots of the ponies with pink or red accessories seem to be stained. If I was displaying a full set, I'd probably gear up those with gold accessories and with the pink/red, but them beside. They do stain very easily, and I honestly don't know that tissue paper would be enough to save them. That is if you can get the stains out to begin with, I've had to sunfade a few chap meis to get the stains off from new, because they came packaged with saddles on (not crowns though thankfully)

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 07:19:03 AM »
Put a piece of plastic wrap between the pony and accessory...  or risk finding spots and stains.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Clown

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
Oh what a beautiful fakie! I'm fairly new to collecting and hadn't even considered staining  :shocked: glad to have had it brought to my attention lol

Offline starryeyed

• Captain Jack Pony
  • seapony in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'll try some acid free tissue paper, I'm not sure about plastic wrap as I know that cutting off ventilation with plastic causes some materials to sweat/get sticky over time. I do also have a purple Chap Mei with red accessories who had stains when I got her, so the red is definitely riskier.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 08:52:16 AM »
Best of luck with it. I hadn't seen Chap Mei before, it's an interesting toy line :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 05:49:23 PM »
Honestly I have one and I'm not too concerned about it. Hidden stains don't bother me.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal