collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do they usually age this way?  (Read 752 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Do they usually age this way?
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
Hello lovelies, I have a question. I bought a Parasol with her original ribbon a while ago, and it doesn't look good. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 <<(I've never worked links here before, let me know if it doesn't work) and was wondering, since there was a debate on Discord, does this look like it was bleached? Water damaged? I bought it from a trust worthy seller. Someone was worried it was dyed with acne cream which I doubt but. Also that being said, what is Parasol's ribbon color? (Also please move this elsewhere if its not in the proper forum)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do they usually age this way?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
That ribbon looks like it's had a hard life.   Some of mine I had as a child looked rough, but I played with them in the bathtub.

It looks like bleach or water damage to me.

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
That ribbon looks like it's had a hard life.   Some of mine I had as a child looked rough, but I played with them in the bathtub.

It looks like bleach or water damage to me.
I think its satin, so as someone said on Discord, if wet it looks like that? Thanks!  :heart:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:50:37 PM by caseysealia »

Offline lauranthalasa

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
Some of the ribbons were pretty prone to fading

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
I would guess some sort of bleach damage, honestly. has the pony had some sort of peroxide bath perhaps? Could also be extensive sun bleaching. it does look like the blue parts match up with how it would have been tied around the tail/in a bow, so it's some sort of shibori/tie dyeing.

most ribbons that are "satin" (which is a weaving technique rather than a material) these days are polyester/nylon - I don't know about 80's pony ribbons however, they could be cotton or rayon, so depending on what material it is it would probably yield different answers. if it is frayed in one end at all, you could get a thread from it and do a burn test to see if it's a manufactured fiber or not.

In any case, it's definitely some sort of bleach damage (sun, or chemical). just water shouldn't have quite that effect, especially since it has the splotches of blue. She's supposed to have come with a blue ribbon, so it's not a white ribbon w/ blue dye.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
I had a couple of ribbons that ended up interesting colours from getting mixed into my pen pot.

Parasol's ribbon is blue but I am not sure what shade exactly. The trouble is though that original ribbons fade and discolour sometimes anyway, so it is next to impossible to match them all up exactly these days. Even where the information is correct or complete, since every monitor shows a different colour and sometimes the ponies MOC even present with slightly different ribbon colours (cough, Tic Tac Toe, Cherries Jubilee) depending on the release/country/batch/what mood Hasbro were in/what colour was available at the time.)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »
Thanks sm everyone!! I don't care too much what it is, I just would hope its not  benzoyl peroxide (then its likely she has it on her) but also for looking for a replacement!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
i notice some of my ribbons going this way, they spend years in storage in a baggy and was disappointed how they are turning when i checked on them some weeks ago.
I think its a cotton satin non polyester thing too, must be what they were made out of as they haven't been left out in the sun
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:02:01 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal