collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I start collecting G4?  (Read 1705 times)

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I start collecting G4?
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
So I've been interested in ponies since I could remember and been collecting again after a break and mainly interested in G1s to G3s. Mainly, building up my classic G1 collection and then getting lots of cute G3s (since I stopped collecting in 2004 for a few years)

It was a shock to me when I first came back to a world that sold ponies and saw how MLP had changed! They were quite hard to get used to and I thought they looked quite ugly....(dont take this personally or anything just wasn't used to the new cartoon style).

However, I know FiM has brought a whole new wave of pony fans and lots of people would defend it to the death! So it must be pretty good! So I shouldn't be so critical and give all the new ponies a chance I guess. 

I do have a blind bag Rainbow Dash. As well as the rainbow crystal empire collection since they are really pretty! I've always loved Applejack & Pinkie Pie so it cant be bad...

So do you think I should give the actual toys a go? Would I regret not getting some?

I must say the wedding castle is growing on me! I have the G3 celebration castle only at the moment! I should probably try watching the show too?

Any opinions and info about G4s would be appreciated! :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Should I start collecting G4?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
I felt the same way when the G4 ponies came out. I would stop and take a look at them when I was in the store. But I thought they were to small and looked like deer. I passed on them all threw 2010, 2011 and half of 2012. Then I took the plunge and bought some. And guess what I am hooked!!!! I still think they are a little funny looking, But I really have grown to love them all :) I now have over 70 G4 ponies and still growing.

I would say give them a try, if you do not like in the long run you can always sell them.   :)

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
I say give it a shot

G4 are easy to come by the normal brushables are anyway. I wasn't big into them until I started watching the show. Now I have a nice little spot in a cabinet for them. They're smaller than any other gen so they don't take up much room.

The only major problem you might run into with G4s are the body to head discoloration but it's really only noticeable on the purple or reddish colored ponies ( Like Twilight Sparkle and Feathermay)     

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »
I felt the same way and then I watched the show and fell completely in love with the characters and animation style...and now I can't stop buying the g4 toys!

You could always start with some of the smaller items and playsets if you're uncertain :)
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
I was the other way around! I started on G4 and went on to G1 and G3!  I think the main problem with G4 is the lack of variety in poses.  With the G1's there were a number of different poses for earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi. Then you had the different babies, boys and sea ponies, sea pony babies and so on.  Then the G3's had all kinds of poses, not so much in the way of boys or sea ponies, but so many colours etc!!

(*cannot really comment on G2's since I don't collect those*)

I would go for it, you could have a whole generation MIB which is (lets face it) rather difficult on the previous generations  :biggrin:

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
I actually like the way G4 ponies look the best, but as far as quality goes I don't think they live up to their predecessors. Like others have said, they are easy to come by and don't take up a lot of room (at least not the standard size ones), so if you want to give them a shot you won't have much to lose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »
I say go for it!!!!  I only started out with the Fashion Styles and prototypes at first.  But then the brushables and blind bags crept in.

I sorta like the thrill of being able to go to an actually store and purchase them.  Especially after years and years of ebaying.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
I watched the show and it got me hooked on G4s ;)
My Wish List

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
Aw thanks pony people! <3 :D

Yeah I must say it would be nice to actually buy one from a shop!! Since eBay is where I have to get most of mine. I have been looking online at some and they aren't too unreasonable! Would love to have some MIB...although I always get tempted to take them out!

I definitely will get more blind bags when I can as they are so cute and easy to transport (since I will be moving yet again by 2014)! I like the idea of them not taking up too much space since im in a studio apartment at the moment and I have to leave a lot of ponies at my childhood home which is far away! :(

Im getting more used to how they look and I think I'll start finding ways to watch the show! I agree with the poses you're exactly right! Maybe one day there will be some more variation :)

Are the playsets quite good quality? Any recommendations on which ponies I should think of buying first? :)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
Obviously it's a matter of preference but I would personally advise against it. The quality control on them is attrocious so in adition to them being really low in quality in general, many of them have some issues right from the box. Also, they tend to be pricey in Europe.

But I'm saying this from a perspective of someone who doesn't like the G4 style. I decided to get one for myself, but it hasn't warmed me up to them, quite the contrary, I felt they were quite cheap compared to G1 and G3. Then again I also really didn't like the show for various reasons so maybe i'm just a general party pooper :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
 Yeah, try it! I personally do not like the G4 brushable toys, but I do still have a few (the princesses, Zecora, a few like that.) They're cute, but if you hate head-body mismatch, you'll be disappointed.
  And as much as I adore the cartoon, I don't care for the style of the faces. Ponies are supposed to have big nose, dangit! So I agree with your initial thought that they are ugly. It just doesn't translate well to toys, IMO.
I'll put something here some time

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
I'd suggest watching a couple of episodes of the show (if you haven't already) and then maybe buy a pony or two and see what you think. MIT is certainly nice to still be able to buy them in store though I'm starting to get tired of seeing the same 6 ponies over and over again.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
...and looked like deer...

... Cannot unsee.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »
I also thought the G4s looked like deer at first, but that was part of the charm for me. I think deer are cute animals.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
I didn't like the G4 ponies at first either-   I totally thought they looked like deer too!  :biggrin:  Cute but not ponies.

I actually was attracted to AJ since she had her correct colors- but not enough to buy the set that I saw...

Then I watched the FiM show on Youtube (now on netflix)  - I really liked it and suddenly loved all the toys :D

Now I like G4s better than G3s (although G1s will always be my favorites)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal