collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Photobucket no longer allows hotlinking from free accounts...  (Read 44092 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Photobucket no longer allows hotlinking from free accounts...
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »
So all the pictures using PB on these threads are now gone, never to be seen; unless the OP is willing to take the time to upload them again.  This breaks my heart.  Huge piece of history vanished in thin air
:wail:

I know... it's kind of an archiving, isn't it?  :( 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2017, 07:52:19 AM »
So all the pictures using PB on these threads are now gone, never to be seen; unless the OP is willing to take the time to upload them again.  This breaks my heart.  Huge piece of history vanished in thin air

In a community of 20+ years there are losses and there are gains. This is just one of those downtime moments :/ Does make me wonder about the overall history of our era given the dependence on digital records...all it takes is for a website server to go or an archive to disappear...we're running the risk of leaving no record for posterity :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
Finally got the email from them. They have a Twitter account so I think I'll leave them a somewhat nasty message.

Edit: LOL I checked. Everyone's already doing it. Saying extortion and blackmail to their face.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:27:48 PM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »

Yessss, this :( So, so much history lost... over 10+ years worth.. :( I really can't believe they've done this.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »

Yessss, this :( So, so much history lost... over 10+ years worth.. :( I really can't believe they've done this.

really shows how the everyday user of the Internet was dependent on free services!  Most people don't have a private server in their house; most people will never get one.  Most people will never learn how to actually run a website hosted entirely upon them.  Sadly I am having to learn this nonsense now! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »
I used to have my own server and such, but now that I'm not selling as much, or even trading, it just wasn't worth it. 

I'm glad I saw this.  I've been pulling my pics off PB for the last 2 hours.  Mind you, I have less than 200 pics on there!  It's been all the stupid ads and such slowing things down, then for some reason, things would just freeze and I'd have to log in again to download another album.  I'm hopefully on the last one, then I'll be done.  I have pics on there from 6+ years ago, and I don't want to lose them.

As for the accounts, I could see the ones getting flagged that have a lot of content or hits.  My account is using 2% of what I'm allotted, so I'm a very small fry compared to some people.  I just wanted to pull my pics out on the off chance they finally just lock everything that isn't paid. :/
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »
My goal this weekend is to get a decade worth of stuff uploaded off of PB... Wish me luck!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »
My goal this weekend is to get a decade worth of stuff uploaded off of PB... Wish me luck!

Good luck!! I was backing stuff up for a week, it's no small feat :(

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »

Plus the same thing is all over the internet now, on all collectors websites, any interests websites and so on... When I first googled the PB issue I got results from various boards, lots of websites. :huh:

-

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
One silver lining is that this resolves image theft issues for some people :)  You can't have it on your site and link it back to the original owner but claim it's yours.  :/ 

IDK I am trying to see *something*  good in all this...

I notice now that the MLPArena plug-in below in the Reply function, the area that links to my PB is now also "Hooves Up".. you know, the tool so you can easily use PB for a forum?!  I don't think the mods changed this ; I am betting this is PB's fault...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:47:38 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2017, 03:37:17 AM »

same here :(  thousands of pics ...I've used up more than 70% of what I'm allowed on there *siiiigh*  wishing you all the best!  :hug:

*nods in agreement* so sad  :bawl:  :cry:  :sad:  :cloud:

Finally got the email from them. They have a Twitter account so I think I'll leave them a somewhat nasty message.

Edit: LOL I checked. Everyone's already doing it. Saying extortion and blackmail to their face.

Good! :bigups:  I hope they get so many complaints that they change their greedy little minds !

Post Merge: July 15, 2017, 04:18:37 AM

Never used Flickr before but giving it a go now  ...
testing..  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seems to work ok :whew:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:36:32 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
The irony for me is that in the past I always used paid-for services and then when I either ran into trouble in life and couldn't make payments, or just forget to make a payment or something, then everything got messed up.
For a long time I've used free services that pay for themselves by ad revenue as much as possible not just to get them free, but because they didn't have the weakness of having to make payments. 

Heck, I even had "lifetime" accounts with companies that lasted less than a decade.  I tried it all.

There's just no perfect solution.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
One silver lining is that this resolves image theft issues for some people :)  You can't have it on your site and link it back to the original owner but claim it's yours.  :/ 

I don't see how that works. Image theft is more of a problem when people download someone else's image and reupload it to their own server as their own (or put it on ebay as their own). If it's being linked from PB then there's a paper trail. Also, people who are going to steal are going to steal.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »

I don't see how that works. Image theft is more of a problem when people download someone else's image and reupload it to their own server as their own (or put it on ebay as their own). If it's being linked from PB then there's a paper trail. Also, people who are going to steal are going to steal.

Right. PB terminating their free image hosting service has nothing to do with theft.

When a certain pony ID site stole my images, they downloaded them and put them on their own private server.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »

Right. PB terminating their free image hosting service has nothing to do with theft.

When a certain pony ID site stole my images, they downloaded them and put them on their own private server.

I've had mine used on ebay :/ Also I've had the text of my old website copied and used on another website as well as pictures being used. I know it's sort of a risk though with ID sites. I think it's worse when it's someone's artwork, because I can take a photo of my pony and someone else might think it's a nice picture, but if I'd spent weeks working on an image and someone else then just lifted it, I'd be super annoyed.

I don't like people using my images without a linkback but so long as they don't put them on ebay or publish them in a book, it's probably not the end of the world if they appeared on another ID site. There are some of my ponies that I would be really upset about if that happened, and others that would bother me less.

But art theft? Totally different ball game. I don't think that the PB thing will have any impact on stuff like that at all.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:08:15 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal