collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 19031 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
Boy ponies!  A mint green pony!  I think these designs are really cute...I do wish they had more of a muzzle but otherwise I'm liking what I'm seeing from the movie images.
I think the legs and feet are great.

I think Izzy has the ball on her horn to keep her from using it while she's in the Earth pony realm?  Just a guess.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
See, I am glad. Because they look ridiculous with their human heads and necks and so I am not tempted to buy any :)
This means I can invest more into Breyer, who make super cute MLP style figures, too.

Why do these look more like My Little Ponies than My Little Pony does these days?

Huh. TBH I had never looked into Breyers but I just saw the Lucky Acres set, and I love them. Yup, definitely doing a better job than MLP these days.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »
Here's what the designs look like in motion. I have to admit, it's kinda cute, and I like Sunny's little interaction with Dudebro.

This is cute and I weirdly get MLP tales vibes from this for some reason. I like the idea that from the look of this 'male' characters might be more active in the story instead of secondary characters.

Edit: also for some reason it's reminding me of Disney's rapunzel a bit or maybe more like pixar animation style, etc.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:31 AM »
I guess I'm going to wait to see toys in person.

I hope they aren't just going to duplicate the personality tropes from G4 into G5.

Apparently when the world of harmony ended everyone in Equestria got infected with CG-itis.

Hasbro seem to have outstupided themselves on the name front this time. Sunny whatnow?

But eh. If they make the unicorn with actual curly hair...I might be up for that.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2021, 09:32:25 AM »
Based on what we have so far I get the feeling Hasbro is trying desperately to catch lightening in a bottle again but I feel like this might just be a mild/average success rather than a unusual runaway cult success

I agree. I think a big part of FiM's initial success was that it had a name attached to it that animation fans already knew and were familiar with - I saw a lot of people going "Oh, Lauren Faust? Yeah, I liked her work on FHFIF/PPG/etc, I'll give it a go". I think Hasbro forget that.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2021, 09:33:21 AM »
I guess I'm going to wait to see toys in person.

I hope they aren't just going to duplicate the personality tropes from G4 into G5.

Apparently when the world of harmony ended everyone in Equestria got infected with CG-itis.

Hasbro seem to have outstupided themselves on the name front this time. Sunny whatnow?

But eh. If they make the unicorn with actual curly hair...I might be up for that.

I was getting ready to add to my comment again, as that was my next comment. Will they be able to do the toys correctly or are we going to get more shining armor with pointy hair kinda toys. Not that I mind a mohawk but...they just need to up their game on the toyline IMO.

Edit: Oh wait, I just noticed another thread with potential toy pics...ehhh...yea, um, I guess I'll have to say by the pic I just looked at it'll probably be a hard pass for me on the toys but I'll wait till I actually see them to give a final opinion on how they look.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:36:26 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
merch pics dropped

I don't mind the eyebrows on the animated version, but don't like them on the toy. It's disappointing that so far only one pony has been shown with brushable hair. I am excited about boy ponies, but I hope they look better than that orange one with the blue hair; the smarmy, cocky look on his face makes him really unlikable. (I'm assuming that the yellow one shown above is a different pony than the orange one, and not just a color difference between the toy version and the animation of the same pony?)

Eyeroll to the Elsa eyes on the girl ponies...I'm so tired of that art style. I'm sure it's possible that these might grow on me, but my first impression just screams 'rip-off' of everything else...Disney princess look, g4 world, Filly Fantasia...nothing original or new.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2021, 09:48:12 AM »
FWIW we got our first look at Zipp, the white pegasus with blue and pink hair!

Kind of! :lol: She's easy to miss on the merch there.

She has gradient wings like the G3s.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
Or that could be the "flying pomeranian"?

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
FWIW we got our first look at Zipp, the white pegasus with blue and pink hair!

Kind of! :lol: She's easy to miss on the merch there.

She has gradient wings like the G3s.

i like the gradient wings! wish we got the other characters today.

i'm thinking people's NDAs are getting lifted after this though so we might see them over the next couple days.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »

:) I like the look of these, the more I see.

I like the color on green boy and he has a blaze :heart:

To anyone --
do we know if the tv show will also have this style, or will it be downgraded to 2D?

I’m getting major Fizzy vibes from Izzy! Would love a similar personality for her!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:26:39 AM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2021, 10:24:35 AM »
The comparison pic with Elsa really shows that they have the same eye shape/style as every female character from modern Disney movies.

Post Merge: February 25, 2021, 08:19:09 AM

UPDATE: The've revealed that there's a male pony in the main cast, but I hate his design so much...

Those teeth, that jerkface expression..

I do like that he has a blaze and markings though.

He also appears to not have a cutie mark?

I like his gradient hair and markings. Must be a relative of Teddy, with the jerkface smile.

Post Merge: February 25, 2021, 10:25:23 AM

A new press release and image was sent to [Big Brony Site].

My Little Pony’ Franchise Gallops to Netflix with All-New Animated Feature Film and Series
CGI Movie and G5 Series will Exclusively Premiere Worldwide on Netflix

LOS ANGELES, CA– FEBRUARY 25, 2021 – Entertainment One (eOne), Hasbro’s entertainment studio (NASDAQ: HAS), announced the highly anticipated all-new computer animated feature film based on the MY LITTLE PONY franchise will premiere on Netflix later this Fall. Fans can also look forward to the release of a new MY LITTLE PONY G5 series.

After a decade of heart-warming friendships, daring adventures, and endless laughs, the beloved pony world of Equestria is expanding to introduce a new generation of ponies to a new generation of fans. With even more humor, heart, and adventure, audiences will be swept away to a contemporary and immersive pony universe brought to life like we’ve never seen it before.

Animated by Hasbro’s Boulder Studio in Dublin, the new feature film is the first time the ponies will be seen in theatrical-quality CG animation. The movie is directed by Rob Cullen and Jose Ucha with Mark Fattibene as co-director. Cecil Kramer and Peter Lewis are producers.

In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. (GASP!) Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny – a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony – is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world… but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even LITTLE ponies can make a BIG difference.

The adventures of Sunny Starscout and her friends will continue with an all-new, computer-animated series coming to Netflix in 2022.

The MY LITTLE PONY entertainment releases will be accompanied with toys informed by the updated animation style in addition to a robust portfolio of licensed products across fashion, home, publishing and lifestyle categories.

Boys! And one of them's green! I don't like the human-looking lips on Izzy though. The girls should have really had muzzles like the boys. I feel like that would improve the design greatly.

And visually, this looks more and more like Filly Funtasia.

If the boys have proper muzzles, I'll snag one or two. I like the colors.

Post Merge: February 25, 2021, 10:27:22 AM

I will say their hooves look so good and detailed (they even have tiny imperfections and striping) and then your eyes move up their bodies and they look like plush puppets :P Muzzles could be longer, just a tad longer and I'd be fine with them. But still too short for my tastes. Could easily look chinless in toyform.

Already hate the token guy. Flynn Rider looking lil freak. The mouths opening so wide makes them all look like canines.
I am shocked there are two orange main ponies, tho.

:snicker:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:27:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
Omg, that little snippet of animation has me SOLD!!! As a kid, I always preferred Tales, and from what we've seen G6 is giving me super strong Tales vibes. And I think the boy pony is so cute (I'm surprised at the backlash over his cocky grin...these types of characters on kids shows always try to look like a know-it-all jerks, but end up being the unconfident softies, like Teddy from Tales)!!

I was a little worried I'd get sick of Sunny's design since I'm not a fan of orange ponies and her 2D design left a lot to be desired, but she looks SO cute animated!

Overall, I'm excited! I guess that's a minority opinion, but I think they look absolutely adorable and I like the tiny hints of their personalities we're already seeing.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
Here's what the designs look like in motion. I have to admit, it's kinda cute, and I like Sunny's little interaction with Dudebro.

The ear movements, cocky stance and head nudge  is very Bolt the Super Dog.

Do you guys remember the little flocked filly funtasia-esque  fakies that came out several years ago? It'd be kinda cute if we got a flocked set like those, since they're all fuzzy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:35:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LivioKelem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
They are cute, but toys... I don't know
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:17:46 AM by LivioKelem »