collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Asking for a refund from a seller who did everything right.  (Read 1158 times)

thekozmicpig

• Trade Count: (0)
Asking for a refund from a seller who did everything right.
« on: March 20, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
I know, that title sounds like I'm a jerk, but bear with me. Also, lots of words.

A month ago, I reserved an item on eBay, (non-pony), item is released, they ship really quick, and they use the quickest shipping you can get from Japan to the United States. Like, things take a week or less to reach you on average.

It's still at the "Origin Post" phase since March 5th, which means US customs has yet to scan it, if they even do.

Now, my issue is that I can totally buy another right now, which is great, but clearly, this seller is doing everything right and I don't want to be rude, and hey, maybe it'll show up after my 45 days run out?

But what if it doesn't? I don't want to be sitting here two months fom now waiting for something that won't ever come while the item really sees a price jump.

They totally deserve to be paid if I get it, but a man can only be so patient. Part of me wants to say if it comes in two months, I'll find a way to repay you, but shoot, what if I order another and now have to pay twice? Admittedly, it could start moving tomorrow, but you know, what if?

...I want to be nice, because I know this isn't his fault, I know he's not scamming me, but I don't want to loose my money either. I have another EMS from Japan that I should ship out next week, so I guess if it gets stuck, I'll know it's a USPS jam.

Gah. Why can't I be like those eBay jerks. Curse this politeness!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for a refund from a seller who did everything right.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
You are aware when you buy something from overseas that it can take months, and he doesn't deserve to be out of the money and the item just because you're not patient and you want what you want, I'm afraid. You're right. It's not his fault. So don't screw him over for something that's not his fault when it'll still probably show up at your door.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
The time frame for Paypal is now 180 days, not 45. So you have plenty of time. I think you should wait it out.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
On a Japanese figure website I frequent, US residents are reporting EMS delays of up to 3-4 weeks due to (I think) bad weather and knock-on effects of the postal strike.

Have you tried calling your nearest sorting office with the tracking number? I've heard badgering about it can sometimes make things magically start moving again.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:49:47 PM »
You are aware when you buy something from overseas that it can take months, and he doesn't deserve to be out of the money and the item just because you're not patient and you want what you want, I'm afraid. You're right. It's not his fault. So don't screw him over for something that's not his fault when it'll still probably show up at your door.
^ This. And as ponylady mentioned you have 180 days to file a claim through paypal if the item does not arrive. I frequently purchase from Japan and I can say with much certainty that the hold-up is almost ALWAYS in the US postal system. Usually the item leaves Japan within a day or two but then sits in the US for however long they feel like. I really do not think it's fair to penalize what sounds like a wonderful seller for something they have absolutely no control over. Just sit tight and keep an eye on the tracking.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
I think it would be terrible to request a refund at this point.

I have had (and currently have) items get STUCK in the mail (or customs) and I think that is a risk you just have to accept if you are buying something from overseas.

I would definitely call the shipping provider and get a claim rolling- that does sometimes help (although not always)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
If this second item is a really good deal, and you want to make 100% sure that you end up with an item, buy the second one. Then wait until the absolute maximum time Paypal allows you. If the first item never arrives, you can get your money back.  If the original item does arrive, it's yours to do with what you will, but you don't return it.  The seller doesn't deserve to be out the money due to postal issues and buyer impatience.  It's not his/her fault.  Sell one, or just have two, but do not burden the seller with this problem.  If you don't want to risk ending up with two, then hope for the best and wait to see what the mail man brings. 

Odds are, since you're in the USA, and if it's a popular item, you could probably easily sell the second one to a USA buyer who doesn't want to deal with international post. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:00:47 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
If the same thing you bought has popped up again somewhere else now, chances are it will pop up again later on. You can always buy it if your item doesn't arrive within the PayPal window. I mean, it's only been 15 days. You say, "a man can only be so patient," but waiting 15 days from Japan to the US isn't showing much patience. Perhaps you should only buy locally if you expect speedy delivery.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:12 PM »
The time frame for Paypal is now 180 days, not 45. So you have plenty of time. I think you should wait it out.
Yep was going to post the same thing.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
As a seller, if one of my international buyers asked for a return after 15 days, I'd be pretty upset.  I know a lot of international sellers have declined my requests to bid in their auctions because according to them (not me that said this), Americans get too impatient when mail doesn't arrive quickly.  It always kills me because I *KNOW* international shipping can take up to 3 months and *I* am willing to wait patiently, but someone else has ruined it for me.  15 days is not really being patient at all...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:28:49 PM by silverdawn »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:26:41 AM »
If you want the item RIGHT NOW!!! that badly then you can certainly buy a second one.

But don't demand a refund from the 1st seller.  That's unfair and a waste of his time.  Just deal with the fact that you now have two of the item.

Possible wait times are simply a part of buying internationally. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:30:36 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 04:54:12 AM »
Lots of good advice. Idk what the item is but I'm sure you could find a US buyer if you end up with an extra.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
Yep was going to post the same thing.

me too :nod:
so don't worry you have plenty of time for your item to arrive safely before you have to resort to contacting the seller or opening a case etc. Your item is tracked, your seller did everything right..so I wouldn't do anything about it right now other than perhaps contact the courier. Yes I know it's a pain when you want something fast but international items are really hit and miss when it comes to arrival times  :awake: .   As the others said, hold out for the item or if you are desperate to get one faster then get another and if you end up with 2 then you can sell the other one later :) 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Iris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://shadesofrain.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
I'm part of a Sailor Moon trading/selling group and there is just something going on with Japanese mail right now.  I've heard it has to do with the port strike and I've heard it has to do with storms, but almost every package coming from Japan over the past month or so seems to be extremely lagging.  Even packages from companies that often ship very quickly and efficiently are taking a week or even weeks longer then usual.   Unfortunately we're all just kind of stuck and it's causing some of the Japanese sellers a lot of stress.

If you want to buy another that's up to you, but your item should eventually arrive as the Japanese post office catches up.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
I always thought the 45 day window was unreasonable because it forced buyers to open a case even if they knew international postage could take longer and were happy to wait.

The 180 day window is much much better. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal