collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your art summary 2023  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Your art summary 2023
« on: December 03, 2023, 02:16:20 AM »
As the year is coming to an end I thought it would be fun to do a recap thread like this again. :) (You can view the 2021 thread here, I don't think we had one in 2022...)

What did your year look like in terms of arts and/or crafts? Discuss freely or use any of the prompts listed below if you like, I've copied the list from the old thread and updated for this year.

2023 Summary

• Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
  • Pony art? Non-pony art?
  • What was your favourite medium to work with?
  • What were your areas of improvement?
  • Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment!
  • Which 2023 piece are you most proud of?
  • Show us your 2023 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere) - a link is fine if the summary itself can't be posted off-site.

Goals for 2024!
  • Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2024?
  • What would you like to try or experiment with?
  • Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist!
  • Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like? (Actually I'm thinking of starting a separate thread for brainstorming so keep your eyes peeled!)
  • If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2024, what would it be?

:art: :art: :art:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Your art summary 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 02:57:05 AM »
Ooh, fun! :D

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission? I did try a few new things on a failed custom. It was good practice. I tried re-posing.
Pony art? Non-pony art? Just pony art this year, I think? Customs mainly and a couple little drawings.
What was your favourite medium to work with? Polymer clay but I didn't work with it a lot this year.
What were your areas of improvement? Um... I don't think there was any. I've actually had a very hard time with my art lately.
Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment! This year? I accidentally knocked a near finished heavily sculpted custom off my desk and it broke in three parts, I couldn't put it back together.
Which 2023 piece are you most proud of? Uh, none? Like I said I've had a very hard time :(

Goals for 2024!
Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2024? Yes. When I'm all done with pony commitments, I'm going to focus on miniatures.
What would you like to try or experiment with? I bought resin and some molds but haven't used it much yet. I'd like to do more with it.
Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist! I'm pretty good on supplies :) I bought myself a new airbrush this year, new paints, the aforementioned resin, some different types of clay. I guess the one thing I'd like to get is a watercolor colored pencil set.
Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like? (Actually I'm thinking of starting a separate thread for brainstorming so keep your eyes peeled!) No... I haven't had luck with swaps much either. I need a break from swaps :P
If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2024, what would it be? I would really like to make a little scene with a kitty. Mini cat tree, bowls, toys, bed, maybe a carrier and the cat itself. All realistic made out of clay. I've saved some fantastic tutorials from some of my favorite miniature artists so I'm pretty sure I can do it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 03:09:22 PM »
Here are my own answers :)

2023 Summary

To start with general thoughts, this year has been healing for me in many senses, also art-wise. I've been so busy and tired for so long, and although I've kept making art in the past years - sometimes more, sometimes less - it's often felt like dragging my feet. In many cases I've only been able to complete something if there was a deadline involved. Mail art (deco books) has been something I've been able to use as a creative outlet even if I had no energy for drawing, but in late 2022 and most of 2023 I had zero inspiration for those. However, otherwise my artistic inspiration finally returned - I've been enjoying a variety of different things from custom ponies to papercrafts, and since September or so, decos have started to feel enjoyable again as well. I still don't have a lot of *time* for art, but at least now I have some energy and inspiration!

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
Nothing particularly new, unless you count the custom style challenge. :) Well, I did try some other new techniques with customs, too, but here I'll be focusing more on 2D art. I did participate in some papercraft swaps (via a Facebook group) and tried new techniques with those! I made my first junk journals, for example. I've been watching a lot of craftsy videos on Youtube.

Pony art? Non-pony art?
Both! The Mermay challenge made me draw a lot of ponies but other than that, I've been mostly doing non-pony stuff.

What was your favourite medium to work with?
I've been enjoying collage style crafts a lot.

What were your areas of improvement?
I think any improvement has mostly to do with how I feel about arts/crafts, so what's inside my head. I think I've been able to reach a new kind of relaxedness/effortlessness (are these even words, lol) in my mail art / papercrafts at least.

Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment!
Hmmm, I can't remember any big mishaps, but it was a disappointment that I couldn't finish the Mermay challenge. I was doing very well and then life happened... I meant to catch up in June but then never did. The same kind of happened with the monthly artist spotlights... I ran out of steam, sorry!

Which 2023 piece are you most proud of?
Probably my Forest Keeper custom - technically not a 2023 piece because I'd been working on it since 2021 or so. But finished in 2023!

Goals for 2024!

Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2024?
I'm too cautious to make any resolutions, but I would like to draw or paint more, so perhaps I can set it as a goal. Be more diligent about keeping a sketchbook?

What would you like to try or experiment with?
At some point I bought some linocut equipment, it would be fun to try that.

Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist!
Craft supplies and stationery? Yes! Art supplies? Probably not, unless it's stuff I really need, like new brushes or something.

Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like? (Actually I'm thinking of starting a separate thread for brainstorming so keep your eyes peeled!)
Sure! If people are up for it, I'd like to host another "happy mail" swap or something similar.

If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2024, what would it be?
I have no big plans or goals, so I'm not sure! I definitely want to do at least one custom pony! As for 2D, maybe a proper watercolour painting. No subject in mind yet, but I haven't done anything like that in a while, and I used to love it.

I'll see if I can put together a picture summary later in December.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 04:33:11 AM »
It feels like I haven't been that creative this year but looking back now I think I have actually done a bit more than what I first thought.

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
I did enter the world of 3D sculpting. I'm still a complete newbie but it is something new. I've also been focusing to paint and sketch realism more.

Pony art? Non-pony art?
Both. When I don't really know what to draw I always fall back to pony art  :blush:

What was your favourite medium to work with?
Watercolors! But also markers and colored pencils. And of course digital art  :satisfied:

What were your areas of improvement?
I'm not sure... Maybe in the 3D area then? I've gone from knowing absolutely nothing to a newbie  :lol:
I think overall for this year I've been focusing on just doodling and sketch-practice instead of actually finishing something. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing  :P

Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment!
Biggest dissapointment would be that I haven't had time to draw as much as I want to!
As for mishaps, back to 3D again. It's so hard and I've done so many mistakes but that's how one learn I guess. Needles to say I've been cursing... a lot. >_<

Which 2023 piece are you most proud of?
Hmm, I think maybe this owl I made with watercolors?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpDiQvOtVZ_/

For pony art would be this set of big handpainted Christmas charms ornaments.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0kGzUSNOtO/?img_index=1

Or the picture I made of the new Celestial ponies
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw0XUfTNsp3/

Show us your 2023 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere) - a link is fine if the summary itself can't be posted off-site.
This one for my Pony art. Lots of 3D models and 3d Printed ponies!
Spoiler

And here's one for my non-ponyart:
Spoiler

Goals for 2024!
Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2024?
I do have an art idea for a set of twelve ponies that I want to try to complete once per month!
I also have a couple of new 3D projects going on

What would you like to try or experiment with?
Gouache I guess. I bought a whole set of gouache since I'm curious about the medium but I haven't used them much yet.

Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist!
I'm a art supply junkie so I will buy stuff I don't need but still wants!  :lol:
Right now I need to buy some more spraypaint for a project and I guess I need some more acrylic colors for it too  :blush:

Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like? (Actually I'm thinking of starting a separate thread for brainstorming so keep your eyes peeled!)
I truly wish I hade time for it! I'd love to jump in and do more ATC swaps for example if the timing is right  :blush:

If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2024, what would it be?
My husband has wanted a large murial in his garage of our dog for several years now. Maybe this will be the year?  :whistle:

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 06:54:21 AM »
Oh my gosh!  Your charm ponies!  They look awesome.  Gingerbread especially!

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 10:21:45 AM »
Oh my gosh!  Your charm ponies!  They look awesome.  Gingerbread especially!
Thank you, Gator! Yes! I love them! I really want to make more! They do take a bit of time but they are so cute when finished!  :blush:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:49:46 AM by Annie »

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal