collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII - Opinions?  (Read 641 times)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XII - Opinions?
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
I'm thinking of playing FF12. I know some people here are into those games. Anyone here play it and any thoughts?

Basically, I recently played FFX and loved it. But we all know that Final Fantasy games are all over the place. Some are flops. Looking to start another good one.

Also, if you could compare this game to any other FF game that would help give me a better idea on what to expect. :-)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:37:40 PM by RockinPrettyBeats »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Final Fantasy XII - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
I have no idea about XII, but my favorite will always be VII.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
As far as the plot I did not really like it all that much, but that have been more to do with the characters really. All of them seem pretty well developed by the time the game started and you didn't really get the feeling of watching them grow or form lasting bonds like in past FF games. Unlike in past FF games where they gave you a lot of insight to the character's pasts they did not really do that in 12, leaving a lot of it up to question or guessing and personally I did not like that because knowing a character's past is what helps me form a bond with them.

Also, I do not like how the summons in this game are pretty much useless and just overall a grand waste of time to use. I only got most of them because...well it is just part of FF games, so I felt that I had to.

That being said, there are things that I really love about 12. Namely the graphics and the battling system. I really like how you can see the monsters you are going to fight, so you can have the option of avoiding them if you want and it also makes caves A LOT shorter than in past games where it was like every two steps you took you got into a battle. The battling system takes a little getting used to and it has been so long since I played 12 that I honestly can't remember much beyond my liking it a lot once I got the hang of it. And did I mention the graphics? I love, love the graphics in this game and they are some of the best in the series so far. From the way the weather changes in certain areas making it more difficult to get through and see sometimes, right down to the way everything is just so...stunning.

Finally moogles....

Omg the moogles in this game are positively the most adorable versions in the series to date, like, no joke. They are so freaking adorable that it is not even funny.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
Eviecorn - I love VII too, but I played it like 12 years ago! So I think it's time to give it another go. I remember a lot of the story but forgot a lot as well so it will be fun.

Midnight - The graphics do look good. I have to say, I do love those shiny colorful games. I'm a little apprehensive about the rest though. Characters and the plot are the main thing for me when it comes to FF games. It can be hard to care about what happens when you can't know enough about the characters. For FFX, I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
I haven't actually played it yet. I really need to. I love Final Fantasy.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
I played 12 several years ago.  I didn't get to finish it because I was borrowing it, but I got a little over halfway through it.  I really can't remember much about it.  It was very "meh" to me.  The only thing I can positively say about this is that the character Balthier is AMAZING.  :lovey:

I would say give a try, but it really didn't leave any lasting impression on me like the other FFs.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »
I asked hubby.... and he's useless :P he said he hasn't played much of XII. He says the battle system is quite different though. From what he knows of the skill system, it's like a combo of X and IX in terms of skill trees and learning skills from items (he thinks).
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
It's been a handful of years since I played XII, and I know I never got very far in it... I'm really not a fan of the Final Fantasy battle system, and I really didn't like how stressful battle was in XII.

It's all sort of... forgettable to me, but then, I wasn't very far into the story as far as I know. It was very pretty, fun to explore, not so fun (for me at least) to battle in.

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:55:21 AM »
Final Fantasy XII is one of my FAVOURITE Final Fantasies! Any FF set in Ivalice is always great in my opinion.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:16 AM »
I asked hubby.... and he's useless :P he said he hasn't played much of XII. He says the battle system is quite different though. From what he knows of the skill system, it's like a combo of X and IX in terms of skill trees and learning skills from items (he thinks).

Haha, is he all vague and lacking in descriptive words like mine?

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »
Its confusing and I dont like the battle system (or the use of gambits)...but I did like the story.

Its worth playing, just know that there will be faults here and there :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
I have no idea about XII, but my favorite will always be VII.  :)

haha you are not alone liking ff VII :D

And I just want to say that FF VII is the best game i played and FF X is good to can i say :)

spookysage

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
I loved Final Fantasy XII! I actually loved the battle system. You can avoid random battles, resurrect the party leader if they go down by switching command to another character (oh, the gripes I've had with XIII over that), and the gambit (AI) system can be pretty fun! Some people didn't care for it, but it was optional and customizable. What happens in the next game? AI with no option (save switching their roles, not helpful anyway if they don't use the spell you needed), no customization. >_<

The designs and music are gorgeous too. Apparently troubles in development led to part of the plot being pretty slow, but don't get me started on Square Enix's love of updated rereleases that will never be exported, sob (they added, er, a literal fast-forward button in the rerelease). It's a shame they changed their mind about Basch being the main character (even though he doesn't really appeal to me), but I recently watched my girlfriend play it for the first time and Vaan's grown on me. Okay, Basch did too. Other than the ones who are better than I remember, I loved all the characters - this game has one of the best Cids!

I wish there were more games set in Ivalice, Tactics was wonderful too. Is there a single member of the Bunansa family who isn't awesome?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:05:42 PM by spookysage »

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »
I adore the FF series, but I prefer the old school games. 6 is my favorite, with 4 being a very close second. I liked 7, 8, 9, and 10 just fine. (I actually like 8 more than 7.) 11 doesn't count. :P

I wanted to like 12. I really did. But try as I might, I just couldn't get into it. The battle mechanics are just too weird for me. I'm going to watch HCBailly Let's Play it instead. When he announced that he was going to LP it, I actually posted to his Facebook page "Thank you good sir, for playing this game so I don't have to!"
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

spookysage

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
Yeah, what works for some people won't work for everyone. My girlfriend's actually not fond of Final Fantasy's old turn-based battles and I'm not sure why. :blink: Something to do with things changing while she's in the middle of a turn, or casting, or something. Which seems to me to be a greater problem with other types of combat, but I doubt I parsed her explanation very well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal